Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Novahq.net Specific > News

News News and comment posting for the main page. Use this forum to submit your news.

Old 05-25-2002, 08:49 PM
zza1pqx is offline zza1pqx

Send a message via ICQ to zza1pqx Send a message via Yahoo to zza1pqx
Where does it say stand alone pack?
The engine is an improved version of Commanche four with new AI written in.
It has knack all to do with DFLW engine.
Explain please?

Old 05-25-2002, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
Stevie, have you ever played DF2? If so, what resolution? Turn it up to 1024*768 asnd have turbo off. then you see real grass.
Woah! Real grass? Wow.
I imagine that would get tangled in your GCard fan wouldn't it?

Old 05-26-2002, 05:01 AM
Steve is offline Steve
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Steve
Quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
Stevie, have you ever played DF2? If so, what resolution? Turn it up to 1024*768 asnd have turbo off. then you see real grass.
i'll load it up and see
Old 05-26-2002, 05:43 AM
Shi is offline Shi

Df1 still rulez all!

Hi,i'm not here right now,leave message at the tone......beeeeep :

Old 05-26-2002, 07:16 AM
Scott is offline Scott
AKA. Panther

I can only get 800x600 when I play df2??

04' Dodge SRT-4, Mopar Stage 3, 406whp/436wtq
Old 05-26-2002, 08:33 AM
Steve is offline Steve
Administrator

need some other prog or something i think. i think opti run lets u have the option
Old 05-27-2002, 04:10 AM

Im still waiting on someone qualifying their claim that BFD is a dflw addon like tfd.
Early build, new engine, special programmer for the AI, all says new game to me.
Terms like Novalogic unvail the next generation of DeltaForce game at E3 etc etc etc.

Old 05-27-2002, 04:07 PM
Scott is offline Scott
AKA. Panther

When I first herd df4 or 5 what ever would come it would be a totaly redesigned game

Old 05-27-2002, 07:18 PM
FirestormAUS is offline FirestormAUS

Send a message via ICQ to FirestormAUS
Justifying a "necessary evil"... ?

Task Force Dagger and Black Hawk Down are both examples of Nova sucking up to the public and justifying that war-games are a good sell, at a time when the world is on the brink of yet another war.

At least with DF1, 2 and LW, they remained within the confines of fiction, and allowed us to do the same. Sure, the "weapons" and "equipment" we "use" are real in the sense that real-life versions of them do exist out there and are in use by Special Forces teams around the world, but that was where they drew the line.

The key point of war-games is that, while they appear "realistic", they actually keep us away from the reality. We can hit the space-bar when we "die" and start again. The people out there who do the job for real, do it so that we don't have to, and so that we still have a space-bar to hit.

Have they run out of ideas for their games, or have they taken a step back down the ladder of technological evolution, such that the only way they can make their games more realistic (without improving graphics and sound) is to base their products on real events?

Whât Ýøû ¢âñ't §££ ¢âñ't hû®t ýøû, ®î6ht? Hêhêhêh... ЮÊ@M ØÑ!
Old 05-27-2002, 07:38 PM
Scott is offline Scott
AKA. Panther

I like how nova logic makes there games personally. I do like sof2 and stuff, thoes graphics kick ass but the game play of df still owns that and any other game I have played or play. I play sofII alot but still can't play for more then an hour without going to get a game of df in even though I have been playing it for a year it is still fun to me. Of course not as fun as it once was but it still rules over any game in my book. Can't wait for the new ones to come out and give it more excitement. I remember when everyone said there was no more df coming after dflw. Well now we have 2 coming and they both look kick ass. nova is doing a good job at making these games for gameplay over graphics.

Old 05-28-2002, 07:16 AM

I think the key is that novalogic have gained the happy medium between wargame simulation and 'arcade' fps.
Its why debates rage high and angry about gltichers 'cheating' by not playing in a realistic manner, to which the glithcers usually point out running through the desert at full pelt diving off mountains with full webbing, five weapons and no fatigue despite maybe getting shot in the leg on the way is NOT realistic so leave them alone....

Simulations by design are usually poor graphically compared to the monsters of FPS like Quake or the newer games such as SOF2.
Anyone using MEDC that has ever used a different games editor can see immediatley what the difference is.
Games like Quake, Unreal, Doom (in the old days) and Duke3d (not quite as old but still), are all made by producing level sized blocks and cutting the rest of the level out from your original block. Kind of like sculpture.
DF is object based. You get you pre cut-out objects and can stick them on a canvas, kinda like painting.
Its why DF runs quicker on poorer connections and why having a great connection makes DF online just brilliant. Its also how you can have good team based games where the different roles mean something tactically so a good team might not win without snipers covering and CQB making a nuiscance of themselves at alpha, as opposed to RTCW where the different roles are predefined by the map designers.

In terms of Nova trying to make money by observing historical accuracy rather than fictional storylines. I think market research has shown this kind of thing sells.
WW2 online is a prime example, where people pay monthly to play. It is far more popular then DF.
Anyone remember comics such as Victor? Based on WW2 stories where the germans spoke with accents and always lost? It sells. Its been going on for years and years. Nova are filling a need.
Black Hawk down is a complete re-write too Panther. They are re-writing the AI. Using a graphical engine not seen in Delta Force before and improved from the last time it was seen.
No one called DeusEx and add on for Unreal. It used its engine.
Black Hawk down is not a commanche add on, it uses its engine. It won't have the compatability that TFD will have with DFLW and isnt a third party development.
It is DF4 I am sure of it. I am as sure as I was when you first sent me TFD screenies and I said it looked like an expansion pack remember?

Old 05-28-2002, 06:41 PM
FirestormAUS is offline FirestormAUS

Send a message via ICQ to FirestormAUS
Wink LMAO

If anyone wants a book writing, without having to pay the publishers, just raise it as a topic and get zza1pqx to reply to it... heheheh j/k mate you tell it the way it is and the way it should be told (long winded, like any other pommie - but then i should know, right?!?)

<--- that's me, after getting hold of Ghost Recon and Desert Siege (yeah I know this is a DFLW forum) and then finding out I don't have enough RAM

Whât Ýøû ¢âñ't §££ ¢âñ't hû®t ýøû, ®î6ht? Hêhêhêh... ЮÊ@M ØÑ!
Old 05-29-2002, 04:40 PM

LOL. My collegues at work have to suffer, why not you?
I like to recount the story of how I was discussing a game engines with a guy when I was trying to figure out how to use UnrealEd2 on ICQ.
We talked for maybe twenty minutes about this and that, all highly technical. Then he asked my opinion on some aspect of real time lighting and I couldn't answer because you see I have no clue about anything like that at all. I was just blagging.
Turns out he was studying 3D technology with a slant on games etc as a Masters somewhere in the US. He never spoke to me again but he was very suprised when he discovered I had been making my knowledge up.
The trick you see is in the words. StevieB will tell you about the time we blagged that we had a real time 3D Medc on the cards in DF3 net. Strangley it was only us bantering in that thread and no one was fooled at all.
Oh well. You win some, you lose some.

Old 05-29-2002, 04:47 PM
Steve is offline Steve
Administrator

heyy ZZ, u still didnt give me the info i needed to finish the 3d Mission Editor
lmfao

i saw someone mention dfbhd somewhere in here lol. it uses an advanced version of the commanche 4 game engine i believe for anyone who doesnt know. that is good btw