FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Hardware and Software Discuss hardware, software and security related stuff

Old 12-16-2004, 06:11 PM
Steve is offline Steve
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Steve
Post spyware crazy

foramtted the old comp today, LAN party on sat so just getting a clean system

win has been installed for a few hours, basically all ive done is install some games and progs i use. been on a few forums etc, got a few patches.

then i get a trojan alert from my anti virus. trojan in my temp internet files then another, then another, there is about 10 files in there causing problems. anyway deleted them all.

next time i load my browser the start page has been hijacked! hmm ok reset that.

then i reboot and load my browser... a new toolbar had been added! geeez this is winding me up now.

so i run along and get the new HIJACKTHIS, run it and find 10 dodgy entries that need deleting immediatly. ok clean those.

install SPYWARE BLASTER, that does it's immunity thing, fine

install SPYBOT, run it it finds 50 various exploits, ok clean those and immunise.

just installed and ran ADAWARE...

New critical objects: 176

mostly malware etc

OMFG! wtf is going on these days on the internet. this is fkin rediculous.
Old 12-16-2004, 07:34 PM
BeBop is offline BeBop

Send a message via ICQ to BeBop Send a message via AIM to BeBop Send a message via Yahoo to BeBop
One word: Windows.

Have you ever noticed... at least I have... that you never hear about spyware etc on linux or other OS's?

or is it just me

Old 12-16-2004, 10:10 PM
Scott is offline Scott
AKA. Panther

Sounds like the problem I had with my gf's computer.. reinstalled windows download a few windows patches.. applied them all... Install firewall and virus protecton reboot the pc and the computer goes crazy. Programs are trying to connect, virus scanner is going nutz freezing the computer soon as it boots up cause there are like a gazillion things trying to do something and then IE starts opening at random.

Finally got rid of them by not having any connection during the install..

heres my theory:

They install trojans on your system and maybe log your computers IP address. Everytime you connect the remote program tries to connect and if it can't cause the program isn't there it downloads and installs using windows flaws..

Soon as we reinstalled windows without any connection adn installed firewall first programs were instantly trying to connect TO THE (Not from) computer upon bootup.. She hasen't that problem at all now shes got a new isp with a dynamic ip..

04' Dodge SRT-4, Mopar Stage 3, 406whp/436wtq
Old 12-16-2004, 10:48 PM
Hellfighter is offline Hellfighter
Chief ADFP

Send a message via ICQ to Hellfighter
i gone to a site were there was a trojan horse try to instill into my temp folder avast! stop it dead. it happen about 45days all go only one time it happen.

attachment is what i got from e-mail viruses only.
worms they all have been deleted from my system.
Attached Images
File Type: gif 1.gif (35.7 KB, 23 views)
*Discord: Unknown77#7121
Playing now days: EA Games> swtor [star wars old republic]
Old 12-17-2004, 06:57 AM
Steve is offline Steve
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Panther
Sounds like the problem I had with my gf's computer.. reinstalled windows download a few windows patches.. applied them all... Install firewall and virus protecton reboot the pc and the computer goes crazy. Programs are trying to connect, virus scanner is going nutz freezing the computer soon as it boots up cause there are like a gazillion things trying to do something and then IE starts opening at random.

Finally got rid of them by not having any connection during the install..

heres my theory:

They install trojans on your system and maybe log your computers IP address. Everytime you connect the remote program tries to connect and if it can't cause the program isn't there it downloads and installs using windows flaws..

Soon as we reinstalled windows without any connection adn installed firewall first programs were instantly trying to connect TO THE (Not from) computer upon bootup.. She hasen't that problem at all now shes got a new isp with a dynamic ip..

wireless here so i cannot connect to the internet at all until i install the pci card, generally the last thing i do after all the usual stuff is setup. hardware firewall to :/ . i guess i should watch what sites i visit

i have a Slipstreamed Windows XP CD with SP 1 and 2, so IE is updated with the security fixes before i go online to. but there is still too many ways around the protection.

if only the status bar worked better, so it showed what was happening. a couple of weeks back i had a link to a site and it seemed to be going towards a 404, but after about 30 secs in the status bar it said 'download of xxxxx.cab complete' than i get a ton of new toolbars etc lol. bastards
Old 12-17-2004, 09:00 AM
Rider is offline Rider

those spyware prog's dont work as good as Spy Sweeper, Go get Spy Sweeper it works great, I use it and it kills all and wont let anything start on your machine without an ok from you
Old 12-17-2004, 10:37 AM
BOne is offline BOne

Send a message via ICQ to BOne Send a message via Yahoo to BOne
im workin on a program now that will locate spyware..unfortunately it has ehough bugs that i had to call a exterminator but im still workin on it
Old 12-17-2004, 06:11 PM
Hellfighter is offline Hellfighter
Chief ADFP

Send a message via ICQ to Hellfighter
Quote:
Originally posted by Rider
those spyware prog's dont work as good as Spy Sweeper, Go get Spy Sweeper it works great, I use it and it kills all and wont let anything start on your machine without an ok from you
i use
1.) Spybot - Search & Destroy: "Image"
2.) Spy Sweeper: Image

i all so use Lava: Ad-Aware SE Personal mostly use it on every fri-day and do a complet sweep of the system using all of them and Fix-it 5 antivirus and Avast! antivirus program and all do check error and bad registry-link and delete them all. then do office & windows update.

Spysweeper has been remade and it like a new totally new program all together. like all the new option they added to it and more
*Discord: Unknown77#7121
Playing now days: EA Games> swtor [star wars old republic]
Old 12-18-2004, 01:38 PM
Rider is offline Rider

ive had spybot, adaware se, u name it ive had it, but the best so far would have to be spy sweeper hands down, just my 2 cents
Old 01-17-2005, 08:25 AM
Mr. T is offline Mr. T

Amazingly enough, I've not had this problem. We have a small LAN in the house (hardwire type) and two computers hooked to it. Sometimes I add in the laptop. All this is behind a Linksys router and all computers run the free version of ZoneAlarm. I regularly use Ad-Aware SE (also the freebie). Very rarely do we ever get any troubling stuff coming in. We both use Netscape for surfing, and I use Eudora for email.

Now, when I take my laptop on the road and plug into a phone line in some hotel, Zone Alarm goes nuts with incoming hits. It's damned scary! So I usually plug in, download email, and GET OFF.

Steve's experience would be uh, unsettling at the very least. What a nightmare!
Old 01-17-2005, 10:19 AM
teej is offline teej

Send a message via ICQ to teej Send a message via AIM to teej Send a message via Yahoo to teej
personally, i do not like spybot. It never seemed to do the job for me. I would suggest to anyone to use ad-aware

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott
ok, now that we are all a little dumber for reading that, back to how much IE is better than any other browser
Old 01-20-2005, 05:18 PM
Se7eN is offline Se7eN

Send a message via AIM to Se7eN
hey steve... i have this same problem now... it started a few days ago... i just now got rid of the majority of stuff... but i now a have a trojan, and other crap that i wish to leave me alone... i used ad aware... and i tried hijackthis, but that program closes about 5 seconds into the scan, and there's no way to stop it... any suggestions?

^ i cant spell... bower should be bauer... hell with it...

Originally posted by blueprint
If you weren't so great in bed I'd have to say that's ripping.
Old 01-20-2005, 05:54 PM
Steve is offline Steve
Administrator

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...e/default.mspx

its pretty damn good
Old 01-20-2005, 05:56 PM
atholon is offline atholon
"ath-hole"

Send a message via MSN to atholon
The new Beta is better than Spybot S&D, Adaware and Spyseeper put together
Old 01-20-2005, 06:43 PM
Se7eN is offline Se7eN

ok... nothing's workin anymore... i have been informed to reformat... i agree...

Old 01-20-2005, 07:24 PM
"ath-hole"

Se7en!!! He's back, wassup bro?
Old 01-21-2005, 12:33 AM
Se7eN is offline Se7eN

lol hey... well im in the middle of loosing my computer to satan. ive used Hijackthis... Ad-Aware... Spybot... McAfee... Microsoft... deleting the crap out of everything... i cant reformat because i dont have the XP cd's... only the upgrade ones, which will do me no good... im a duck burning in hell...

Old 01-21-2005, 04:56 AM
Rider is offline Rider

i notice u didnt mention spy sweeper, hmm dont know where u guys be gettin your spyware from but spysweeper keeps my pc working great
Old 01-21-2005, 11:31 AM
"ath-hole"

Yeah we mentioned spy sweeper. I run it on my system, it does a good job but Microsoft's version works better.
Old 01-21-2005, 05:55 PM
Scattergun is offline Scattergun

www.lavasoft.com

Get Se Aware Personal first time i ran it found 560 Bugs (No wonder why i was Getting slower and slower ...)

I run great now that i did it and do it about 3 times a week with other stuff.

[Comp-1][Intel C2 2.6Ghz @ 2.9Ghz 10% Overclock][2 Gig DDR2 800][x1900 XTX 512mbCrossfire Edition][20 in LCD 8ms]