Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Off-Topic > General Chat

General Chat Talk about anything that does not fit into other topics here.

Old 04-26-2004, 02:44 PM
Steve is offline Steve
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Steve
Post Army Scientists, Engineers develop Liquid Body Armor

http://www.military.com/NewsContent/...ml?ESRC=dod.nl

ABERDEEN PROVING GROUND, Md. -- Liquid armor for Kevlar vests is one of the newest technologies being developed at the U.S. Army Research Laboratory to save Soldiers' lives.

This type of body armor is light and flexible, which allows soldiers to be more mobile and won't hinder an individual from running or aiming his or her weapon.

The key component of liquid armor is a shear thickening fluid. STF is composed of hard particles suspended in a liquid. The liquid, polyethylene glycol, is non-toxic, and can withstand a wide range of temperatures. Hard, nano-particles of silica are the other components of STF. This combination of flowable and hard components results in a material with unusual properties.

"During normal handling, the STF is very deformable and flows like a liquid. However, once a bullet or frag hits the vest, it transitions to a rigid material, which prevents the projectile from penetrating the Soldier's body," said Dr. Eric Wetzel, a mechanical engineer from the Weapons and Materials Research Directorate who heads the project team.

To make liquid armor, STF is soaked into all layers of the Kevlar vest. The Kevlar fabric holds the STF in place, and also helps to stop the bullet. The saturated fabric can be soaked, draped, and sewn just like any other fabric.

Wetzel and his team have been working on this technology with Dr. Norman J. Wagner and his students from the University of Delaware for three years.

"The goal of the technology is to create a new material that is low cost and lightweight which offers equivalent or superior ballistic properties as compared to current Kevlar fabric, but has more flexibility and less thickness," said Wetzel. "This technology has a lot of potential."

Liquid armor is still undergoing laboratory tests, but Wetzel is enthusiastic about other applications that the technology might be applied to.

"The sky's the limit," said Wetzel. "We would first like to put this material in a soldier's sleeves and pants, areas that aren't protected by ballistic vests but need to remain flexible. We could also use this material for bomb blankets, to cover suspicious packages or unexploded ordnance. Liquid armor could even be applied to jump boots, so that they would stiffen during impact to support Soldiers' ankles."

In addition to saving Soldiers' lives, Wetzel said liquid armor in Kevlar vests could help those who work in law enforcement.

"Prison guards and police officers could also benefit from this technology," said Wetzel. "Liquid armor is much more stab resistant than conventional body armor. This capability is especially important for prison guards, who are most often attacked with handmade sharp weapons."

For their work on liquid armor, Wetzel and his team were awarded the 2002 Paul A. Siple Award, the Army's highest award for scientific achievement, at the Army Science Conference.
Old 04-26-2004, 05:03 PM
cash is offline cash

Send a message via ICQ to cash
neat-o
Old 04-26-2004, 05:49 PM
Scott is offline Scott
AKA. Panther

Hmmn i want some

04' Dodge SRT-4, Mopar Stage 3, 406whp/436wtq
Old 04-26-2004, 05:51 PM
Hellfighter is offline Hellfighter
Chief ADFP

Send a message via ICQ to Hellfighter
ok sound great.

believe me when i first seen the thread (name) first thing hit me was body paint armory vest lol
*Discord: Unknown77#7121
Playing now days: EA Games> swtor [star wars old republic]
Old 04-26-2004, 07:05 PM
Reticle is offline Reticle

Send a message via Yahoo to Reticle
That's really incredible. Maybe someday all the clothing you wear will be bullet-resistant. Wow.

"You're not paranoid if they're really out to get you"
-Unknown

www.bieberworks.com
Old 04-26-2004, 07:10 PM
Steve is offline Steve
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Steve
they'll probably inject it into your skin
terminator styleee
Old 04-26-2004, 07:10 PM
Reticle is offline Reticle

Send a message via Yahoo to Reticle
This would be perfect to combine with Optical Camo. Check it out.

http://projects.star.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp...DIA/xv/oc.html

"You're not paranoid if they're really out to get you"
-Unknown

www.bieberworks.com
Old 04-26-2004, 10:49 PM
atholon is offline atholon
"ath-hole"

Send a message via MSN to atholon
Neet :P Probably just as heavy as cevlar though.
Old 04-27-2004, 09:34 AM
BOne is offline BOne

Send a message via ICQ to BOne Send a message via Yahoo to BOne
Biggrin

the new technology for the army is great...wish they had that when i had to wear that d@@m body armor...that stuff is quite cumbersome...espically if you have a 40 pound ruck sack on...so hopefully th eliquid cooled protection will be lighter as well as stronger