Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Games > Delta Force

Delta Force Anything to do with the Delta Force series of games, DF1, DF2, LW, TFD, BHD, DFX, AF etc.

Old 12-06-2008, 12:06 AM
Cody 7 is offline Cody 7

Send a message via ICQ to Cody 7 Send a message via AIM to Cody 7
Reminiscing about nova servers and player stats

Hello all,

I've spent some time playing BHD and JO again after a couple years because no other games out right now seem to hold my interest anymore... so I decided to go to my old true loves

Anyways, It's needless to say I was disappointed to see so many of the servers were taken down in BHD and I believe in Joint Ops too. BHD now just has about 8 servers... UK Desert Heat 1, 3, 4, 5, and for us US players Nightstalker 2, Blackhawk 2, Aidid 4, and finally one Team Sabre server that's always empty. The only populated TKOTH server (my favorite gametype) has been Desert Heat 5 and let me tell you it is miserable to play on a BHD server in the UK. My ping is at minimum usually 200 and on busy days over 350. Only way I can get any kills is leading my targets about 3 feet in front of them with an M60. It feels like dialup! The netcode in Nova games has always been FUBAR but playing on a faraway server really shows how bad it is. My connection is excellent, I'm on cable with a 6mbit download and 1mbit upload... and my ping to google, yahoo, and live.com is typically under 40ms.
And of course no one plays (or really hosts) Team Sabre servers anymore. I know it's not because it wasn't popular -- Over 60% of people I meet playing in BHD are using TS weapons or uniforms. I was really fond of TS because it was so refreshing to play in the new forest environments -- But I guess it didn't add a whole lot to BHD so I could understand people not playing it anymore. It seems Joint Ops is the same way -- There is far fewer players on the Escalation servers than the regular JO ones. This is really strange because Escalation was the best expansion pack I've ever bought in years. It truly added tons more vehicles and weapons, plus the maps were so much more well thought out than the original ones... my best memories of playing JO is from Escalation. I asked some people in the JO server why they don't play Escalation anymore and they responded: "Escalation sucks". *Sigh*. I guess they all decided that after playing the great expansion for 2 years?

My question I wanted to ask you guys is do any of you happen to have a record of how many Nova servers there were at their peak? I did some googling at there were at least 24 servers (12 UK and 12 US) but I'm not sure. Also, how about Joint Ops? There's only 5 stat servers (I know there must of been more!) and only 2 that are populated. If any of you had screenies of the original server list showing all the Nova games that would be awesome; and maybe a date when they took them down?

Next Is player stats. I used to love seeing my character's stats in the game menu, and now Nova currently tracks your character's stats at Novaworld.com, but I was wondering what happened to the original in-game player stats viewable in BHD and BHDTS? One day it just mysteriously disappeared off the multiplayer lobby never to be seen again. Why? I know that the in-game stats were just basic webpages... but I still liked it better that way. It was much more integrated feeling. I looked for any info on when the stats pages were removed but didn't have any luck.

I did some googling and managed to find old links for player stats. This page here had some good results: http://www.webmaster-talk.com/php-fo..._contents.html
On that page was the URL to the newer in-game stats page, which was this (team sabre version):
Quote:
http://nw4.novaworld.net/NWStats.dll?success=tsab_6_name.htm&failure=tsab_6 _main.htm&relay=tsab_6_relay.htm&msgbase=tsab_6_ms g.htm&nodb=tsab_6_nodb.htm&statpage=tsab_6_stat.ht m&pfid=26&statslot=0&action=charlist
but if you enter that URL, it gives a blank page. The DLL and pages are still there, but don't function anymore. If you edit that URL and put this:
Quote:
http://nw4.novaworld.net/tsab_6_name.htm
It results in a stat page showing up, but with no data. I was wondering if anyone had found out a way to still view the in-game stats that I am unaware of?

Ahh, thinking of all that brought back some really good memories I will have to create a "Post your best memories of DF" thread some time. They same most games die out after about two years, we're lucky to be going over 4 and still have people playing at all, I guess!

- Cheers, Cody 7

Last edited by Cody 7; 12-07-2008 at 02:01 PM.