Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Games > Delta Force

Delta Force Anything to do with the Delta Force series of games, DF1, DF2, LW, TFD, BHD, DFX, AF etc.

Old 07-07-2012, 08:52 PM
MERMITE is offline MERMITE

DFX2 Boo'time

Even years later and with a pc with all the bells'an whistles DFX2 still takes ages to load, even more so once you hit the map boot screen, this is in comparison with say the likes of DFX1, JOE( same motor) or even non Nova stuff Skyrim or the current Spec Ops.

So I started poking around, and is there any wonder, huge individual graphic files that just CHOKE any potential bottleneck once you hit that executable.
I extracted the important ones and cut 'em in half, ie. Ltrbx_sp2, Loading, and the all important map, Loadscrn.pcx
It was with this Loadscrn.pcx, that I stripped out totally from the original 2mb down to a macro (pre dos3.0) 17.34kb, says my Irfan....lol
Then stripped out that joker on the bike, with just grey/black, it now loads so quick you barely notice or even get to appreciate the graphic.

Now I'm at last comfortable with the result, although I intended to go further
by removing some of the .cpt's and the huge audio file COMD586A 2.13mb
and others, again to reduce load on the 'little' nova motor, I'll hold it at that for now.

Should you wish to wallow in this simplistic 'mod', just drop them to your game directory, to remove just delete them.

here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?fhh8l2wb537o29d (1.3mb)

peace
"M"
Old 07-07-2012, 09:11 PM
Guest001 is offline Guest001

Try loading Battlefield 3 and you will love DFX2 but if you look at the FC2 Editor?

You can be in the editor then just drop into the game (map) instantly to check your work.
Excellent implementation there.

If we had a game with alll the good bits? Sandbox construction and real-time editing. Wistful thinking I know!

I knew about the PCX load times and posted the fact with this mission Volcano Demo

Are you using Ravens PFF editor for this work or are you using Pack.exe with script or windows command line and DOS?
Old 07-07-2012, 09:27 PM

Question answered?...just drop them in game directory?
Old 07-08-2012, 12:36 AM

Ravens ...it is, but prefer PFF3 Manager,only works with dfx1

"M"
Old 07-08-2012, 08:51 AM

Tried it all as instructed and after a bit of a delay...bam no screen just straight to the map...interesting to see that files in the Game Directory tend to override the files in the PFF
Old 07-08-2012, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stompem View Post
Tried it all as instructed and after a bit of a delay...bam no screen just straight to the map...interesting to see that files in the Game Directory tend to override the files in the PFF
BaM.. is the way Stomp! if it wern't for the 'simple' drop and delete of Nova I would have bumped the game years ago ....and gone back to bending my own "nanas...drag out ya Raven and check out ...sum cool shelias

US_F_Hd1.3di......US_F_Hd2.3di......US_F_Hd3.3di, not much good without one of these ...US04Body.3di

lotsa hidden stuff, ya got wonder why, once again (EA) money over art rules

peace
"M"

ps you using gloop or ploop in ya wac yet?
Old 07-08-2012, 03:02 PM

it's like the whole lot is left in there, old advertising ideas and leftover scraps and things not used.

Tried ploop but not gloop "(please explain?) as she said"...it but it (ploop) kinda takes over and you can't have anything happen in between, I use chain and elapse
combinations and get by...
Old 07-08-2012, 06:05 PM
Mstenger404 is offline Mstenger404

Send a message via MSN to Mstenger404
Man this all sounds like a lot of trouble. Just get a solid state drive and call it a day.

Intel Q9300 Quad~2.5Ghz
PALIT GTX570
ASUS GTX280 Dedicated PhysX
WD Velociraptor 300GB 10k RPM
WD Caviar Black 1TB 7,200 RPM
4GB Patriot DDR3 1333mhz
Intel BOXDX48BT2 X48
Corsair 1000Watt Modular PSU
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
ASUS VG238H 23" 120Hz 3D-Ready
Old 07-08-2012, 09:20 PM

Fried nano transistors? Happy spending. The SSD Drive tech now is already outdated as they are working on organic and other systems that are almost ready for market.
Look at the confusion and the various implementations???? They are not sure what to settle on yet, my data is still safer on platters at the moment
Old 07-10-2012, 10:35 AM

Sheesh "M" hate to show this but just to show you how people can change their minds and nothing is written in stone. Taken from PCX controls map loading
Quote:
Originally Posted by MERMITE View Post
Well aint that just DANDY!!!!
So what are you gonna do with this ...?????
consider this earlier post ..
http://www.novahq.net/forum/showthread.php?t=45412
and a little more digging thru your pFF file you will note that the actual file is 003loadscrn.pcx found in your game language dir.

Should you mappers do as Stomp suggests, yes your maps will load quicker but by milli seconds ...no big deal.
But this tip does work really well for those mappers that use many /.bms files to one mission such as myself.
On a typical mission I may use as many a dozen .bms files to a mission, with the above link you may then connect up all the bms files to that one mission with a small 800x600 blank load screen, you will still get the red 'load bar'...
I got this idea from the now very old game soldier of fortune 1990's, just remember to let the story carry the action and not the player....good luck
"M"
Old 07-10-2012, 10:40 AM

Also this for Dave REF: http://www.novahq.net/forum/showthread.php?t=45456
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave61 View Post
It probably will not work in a multiplayer game ... unless all players have the same .pcx loaded on their computer and in their DFX2 folder.

It works the same as a .wac file inreguards that all players have to have the same .wac file installed.
For example, if the host computer has a .wac command to execute a snow script and no other player had that same .wac file, then only the host computer would see the snow.

Likewize, if a host computer was the only one who had the .pcx file, then no one else but the host computer would see the .pcx. All the other players would only see the original game loading screen.
If this was the case would any wac instructions or text work for others in multiplayer? I think so...SRY
Old 07-10-2012, 01:05 PM

Boo HOO! Shame ! shame ! on me!

Issue here was the image corruption, it looked real bad, as you now now the current image modification almost ignores the loadscreen altogether, note I now use fewer .bms files to a "mission", I prefer "3"...the beginning the middle the end, thats about as simpler as it gets

"M"
Old 07-10-2012, 01:10 PM

It's as I said, nothin written in stone buddy, I've done it they've done we all done it!
I wasn't hunting for it either just stumbled on it searching for another issue for reference ...