Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Off-Topic > General Chat

General Chat Talk about anything that does not fit into other topics here.

Old 10-22-2007, 10:55 AM
Grenademan is offline Grenademan

The Top 5...

Out of curiosity, can you name your Top 5 bands/artists? And they have to be bands/artists that you really like, and have listened to more that just one song lol. 1 to 5, 1 being your all time favourite. State why if you wish.

Alrighty lets do this.

1. Metallica
Though their latest album "St Anger" was alright, their previous albums rawk out hard. "Black" is my absolute favourite album by Metallica, I know the lyrics to every single song. Oh yeah.

2. Pantera
Heavy metal in its purest form, they kept the genre alive during the transition between the 80's and the 90's (as far as I know) when all saw that metal was "dead". Admittidly, I don't have all their albums, but "Vulgar Display of Power" and "The Great Southern Trendkill" are absolutly awesome to listen to. The band's lead singer, Phil, started turning toward drugs after their last album "Reinventing The Steel", and began drifting away from his bandmates. Pantera broke up. Vinnie (drummer) and Dimebag Darrell (lead guitarist) went off and joined another band called Damageplan (who sound awesome, been listening to their album "New Found Power").
I'm not sure what happened to Rex (their bassist) or Phil (lead singer) after the break up.

Unfortuanately, a disturbed fanatic was a little upset by the break-up. He took a pistol and went to where Damageplan was playing live, and murdered Dimebag, on stage and in front of a large number of spectators. The killer had his head blown off by a cop armed with a shotgun shortly thereafter. A couple of spectators were also killed while attempting to storm the shooter. And because of this incident, Dimebag has become something of a legendary hero to metalheads everywhere. Go to youtube and type in the name of a Pantera song and you'll see scores of posts stating "RIP Dimebag". And I say the same. RIP.

3. Arch Enemy
This melodic death metal band from sweden initially started off with a male lead singer. But then later, a very nice looking lass, Angela Gossow, joined and became AE's lead singer. Yes, a female death metal band vocalist. Its the most unique growling you'll ever hear, and Arch Enemy's guitar solos are in my opinion second to Metallica's.

4. Machine Head
Though I don't favour their mid-albums, "Burn My Eyes" and "The Blackening" are the best ones they've made. Rob Flynn, the lead singer, used a guitar that Dimebag had given him to play most of the songs on The Blackening. The song "Aesthetics of Hate" also has some influence around Dimebag's murder, but is mostly aimed at some stupid media idiot who ranted on Dimebag. Purge the heretics!

5. Slayer
Ahhh, Slayer. The angriest of them all. Their lead singer shares my name too. Awesome. They sing alot about stuff "average" people wouldn't want to hear. War, death, hate, violence, nazism and generally having a go at religions everywhere. I'm not one of them psychos that listens too much to the lyrics and becomes brain-washed and what not, and I don't support their anti-religious lyrics, but I do like how the songs are constructed. The thrashy songs aren't of my taste, but I do like the slower-paced ones. Their albums "Seasons of the Abyss" and "God Hates Us All" are their better ones in my opinion. I just love listening to these guys when I'm really, really angry or on that rare occasion when I'm stressed out. Not for the faint hearted.

What're yours?
Donuts to whoever read through all that
Old 10-22-2007, 11:48 AM
ShArP is offline ShArP

Send a message via ICQ to ShArP Send a message via AIM to ShArP Send a message via MSN to ShArP
1.) Evanescence
- Got 2 CDs from them and i it is my favorite group

2.) Three Days Grace

3.) Nelly

4.) Brooks & Dunn

5.) P.O.D.

Old 10-22-2007, 01:01 PM
Chrispy is offline Chrispy

Send a message via MSN to Chrispy Send a message via Yahoo to Chrispy
Re: The Top 5...

Quote:
Originally posted by Grenademan
Out of curiosity, can you name your Top 5 bands/artists? And they have to be bands/artists that you really like, and have listened to more that just one song lol. 1 to 5, 1 being your all time favourite. State why if you wish.

Alrighty lets do this.

1. Metallica
Though their latest album "St Anger" was alright, their previous albums rawk out hard. "Black" is my absolute favourite album by Metallica, I know the lyrics to every single song. Oh yeah.

2. Pantera
Heavy metal in its purest form, they kept the genre alive during the transition between the 80's and the 90's (as far as I know) when all saw that metal was "dead". Admittidly, I don't have all their albums, but "Vulgar Display of Power" and "The Great Southern Trendkill" are absolutly awesome to listen to. The band's lead singer, Phil, started turning toward drugs after their last album "Reinventing The Steel", and began drifting away from his bandmates. Pantera broke up. Vinnie (drummer) and Dimebag Darrell (lead guitarist) went off and joined another band called Damageplan (who sound awesome, been listening to their album "New Found Power").
I'm not sure what happened to Rex (their bassist) or Phil (lead singer) after the break up.

Unfortuanately, a disturbed fanatic was a little upset by the break-up. He took a pistol and went to where Damageplan was playing live, and murdered Dimebag, on stage and in front of a large number of spectators. The killer had his head blown off by a cop armed with a shotgun shortly thereafter. A couple of spectators were also killed while attempting to storm the shooter. And because of this incident, Dimebag has become something of a legendary hero to metalheads everywhere. Go to youtube and type in the name of a Pantera song and you'll see scores of posts stating "RIP Dimebag". And I say the same. RIP.

3. Arch Enemy
This melodic death metal band from sweden initially started off with a male lead singer. But then later, a very nice looking lass, Angela Gossow, joined and became AE's lead singer. Yes, a female death metal band vocalist. Its the most unique growling you'll ever hear, and Arch Enemy's guitar solos are in my opinion second to Metallica's.

4. Machine Head
Though I don't favour their mid-albums, "Burn My Eyes" and "The Blackening" are the best ones they've made. Rob Flynn, the lead singer, used a guitar that Dimebag had given him to play most of the songs on The Blackening. The song "Aesthetics of Hate" also has some influence around Dimebag's murder, but is mostly aimed at some stupid media idiot who ranted on Dimebag. Purge the heretics!

5. Slayer
Ahhh, Slayer. The angriest of them all. Their lead singer shares my name too. Awesome. They sing alot about stuff "average" people wouldn't want to hear. War, death, hate, violence, nazism and generally having a go at religions everywhere. I'm not one of them psychos that listens too much to the lyrics and becomes brain-washed and what not, and I don't support their anti-religious lyrics, but I do like how the songs are constructed. The thrashy songs aren't of my taste, but I do like the slower-paced ones. Their albums "Seasons of the Abyss" and "God Hates Us All" are their better ones in my opinion. I just love listening to these guys when I'm really, really angry or on that rare occasion when I'm stressed out. Not for the faint hearted.

What're yours?
Donuts to whoever read through all that
Yeah I read through all that.

For me? Hmm...

1) Nelly Furtado
2) 50 Cent
3) Frank Klepacki
4) Red Hot Chilli Peppers
5) Green Day

This is not the most accurate - if I start to remember more artists, then the list'll probably change, lol.

Chris
Intel Core Duo E7300 2.66GHz // SuperTalent DDR2 800 2GB // ASUS nVidia GeForce 8400GS 512MB // Western Digital 7200RPM 320GB SATA // LG GH-20LS 20X SATA DVD-RAM // Windows XP Pro 32-bit // Thermaltake XP550 NP 430W // Thermaltake SOPRANO SECC Black
Old 10-22-2007, 04:16 PM
Spazz is offline Spazz

Send a message via AIM to Spazz
I'll list 10 because I can. Most people shouldn't be able to decide on a top 5 anyway. This is in no particular order.

System of a Down/Serj Tankian
Unearth
Fear Factory
Mastodon
Soundgarden
The Faceless
The Chariot
Behemoth
Dimmu Borgir
Job for a Cowboy

Metallica and Pantera are both extremely overrated, by the way.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:29 PM
Grenademan is offline Grenademan

Lies! Subterfuge! Seedy corruption!

Well, at least you have Fear Factory listed, so I won't have to flay you.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:08 PM

High School Musical is too overrated...

Chris
Intel Core Duo E7300 2.66GHz // SuperTalent DDR2 800 2GB // ASUS nVidia GeForce 8400GS 512MB // Western Digital 7200RPM 320GB SATA // LG GH-20LS 20X SATA DVD-RAM // Windows XP Pro 32-bit // Thermaltake XP550 NP 430W // Thermaltake SOPRANO SECC Black
Old 10-23-2007, 09:18 AM
ShArP is offline ShArP

Send a message via ICQ to ShArP Send a message via AIM to ShArP Send a message via MSN to ShArP
Quote:
Originally posted by Chrispy
High School Musical is too overrated...
that was random lol

Old 10-23-2007, 12:49 PM

Yeah, apologies for the off-topic.

Chris