Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Computers > Hardware and Software
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Hardware and Software Discuss hardware, software and security related stuff

Old 07-26-2007, 12:05 AM
Grenademan is offline Grenademan

Bloody hell!

Right so a few months ago i got a new HDD put into me computer. 320gbs it was, combined with my 30GB hdd and i get tonnes of space. Awesomeness!

BUT...lately my computer has been misbehaving. Sometimes when it loads a CD up, the biotch will restart. It doesnt do this all the time, only sometimes. And on one time it corrupted the BFV mod im currently working on (thank God for backups!)

But now im too afriad to put CDs or DVDs into it in case it restarts and does something to my things. What in the hell is going on?
Old 07-26-2007, 02:41 AM
Hellfighter is offline Hellfighter
Chief ADFP

Send a message via ICQ to Hellfighter
will you could tell us how you got the two HD set as?

big HD should be the master and 2nd smaller HD is set as the slave.

if you have a DVD/CD slave to a HD it would run slower 2mb feed

HD> DVD/CD drive slower

it count how you got them hoohup
*Discord: Unknown77#7121
Playing now days: EA Games> swtor [star wars old republic]
Old 07-26-2007, 04:10 AM
Chrispy is offline Chrispy

Send a message via MSN to Chrispy Send a message via Yahoo to Chrispy
Chief, the 300gb one is the Master.

Well first you might as well think - is it the drive or is it my computer?

-Test out another CD/DVD drive.
-Defrag your PC.
-Retrace your steps and make sure you didn't do anything that could have affected the CD/DVD drive in some way - if this is the case, reverse what you did.
-Check the cables connecting to your drive. Unplug and replug them. Make sure they're plugged in properly.
-Test out your drive at a friend's, etc.

http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/5...-restarts.html

Chris
Intel Core Duo E7300 2.66GHz // SuperTalent DDR2 800 2GB // ASUS nVidia GeForce 8400GS 512MB // Western Digital 7200RPM 320GB SATA // LG GH-20LS 20X SATA DVD-RAM // Windows XP Pro 32-bit // Thermaltake XP550 NP 430W // Thermaltake SOPRANO SECC Black
Old 07-26-2007, 08:57 AM
IcIshoot is offline IcIshoot

Send a message via AIM to IcIshoot Send a message via MSN to IcIshoot Send a message via Yahoo to IcIshoot
This sounds like a cd/dvd rom problem, not a harddrive issue

I would have thought if the order of the drive or if the cd/dvd rom was a slave if any of that was going to create a problem it would have appeared soon after it was set up that way.

(I have had harddrives of various sizes in various orders as master/slave - and have had cd/dvd roms slaves of them all - never have I seen it be a problem).

Recenly I started having problems with my dvd burner on my laptop - DVD movies wouldn't play right (50% of the time they wouldn't even load), wouldn't show up in my dvd burning software - Even after removing and re-installing the dvd drive drivers.

What fixed it was a re-install of windows.

I suggest you do a windows repair (assuming you have xp) - It will re-install all the windows files.

(if I was in your shoes, I would go for a full format and re-install - but that is me).

I did a google search on your problem and a few people who had it felt it was the drivers - so you could also try un-installing the cd-rom drivers and re-installing to see if that helps

IcI
Old 07-26-2007, 07:21 PM
Chief ADFP

Re: Bloody hell!

Quote:
Originally posted by Grenademan
Right so a few months ago i got a new HDD put into me computer. 320gbs it was, combined with my 30GB hdd and i get tonnes of space. Awesomeness!

BUT...lately my computer has been misbehaving. Sometimes when it loads a CD up, the biotch will restart. It doesnt do this all the time, only sometimes. And on one time it corrupted the BFV mod im currently working on (thank God for backups!)

But now im too afriad to put CDs or DVDs into it in case it restarts and does something to my things. What in the hell is going on?
chris were does he state the 320GB is the master? i don't see him stating it soo?

he said added to his 30GB he even stated it, he combined the two with the 320GB?

are you at his house to help him out and know what he done with it?

let the man speak for him self ok
==========================================

not all HHD are the same when it come to the data speed, if the 320GB feed data faster then the 30Gb and if the page file is larger on the bigger HHD he need to reset it lower, it will bootup faster.

i'm not at his house to see what he did or how he slave them two HHD together with a DVD/CD rom.
let him speak for him self he can type as good as you.
To: Grenademan

*clue: biotch you may have to redo or update to the newer version, the flash bois update. the bois it gone bad it happens some times.

*could be as chrsipy stated; it may be a lose cable or cable gone bad totally pins not making contact goods with the cable, go out get a new cable see if that fix it.

*update your bois and see if you need to get a patch to handle larger HHD, your MOB may need a bois update to fix this.

* use the scan disk option to fix any error on the HHD
Run type in> chkdsk /F
press the enter key, then a box will come up press Y and press enter key again. restart the system.

try some of icishoot he has some good info there!

last did you change the line up on the two HHD? Pins set them as master or slave settings on the back of the housing?

don't have anything in the small floppy drive (A-Srive) when restarting system unless you upating bois or flash drive a MOB or DVD/CD drive, using a software to do something when booting.
==============================
BTW chrispy i own the 300GB HHD, he on the other hands own a 320GB HHD & 30GB HHD, please be on track when reading posting of others ok

fair warning:
Chrispy you butt heads with me again like this! i ban you for a whole week

Last edited by Hellfighter; 07-26-2007 at 07:56 PM.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:37 PM
Grenademan is offline Grenademan

Lol i love this...i forget to state that i know nothing of coimputer hardware and everyones telling me to poke things and reinstall things....and things...nah you're all good. But i think one of you said that it was a slightly loose cable? That sounds like the core of the problem...but which cable? DVD cable? HDD cable?

Also, i didnt install the HDD myself, just took the computer to the computer shop in town and they pretty much did all the work.

I appreciate the help guys
Old 07-26-2007, 10:15 PM
Chief ADFP

ok you can return it back to them and ask them to look it over see if they did something to make it act up.

they should check it free,

*turn off the computer totally and unplug it from the outlet.
then do the following>
if your not too scare (ok if still) to check the cables! see if they are plug in nice and tight.

push them in abet, if this don't fix it take it to the computer shop let them have a look at it.

have them check the cables see if there a bad cable in there or one of them not connection good.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:28 PM

Re: Re: Bloody hell!

Quote:
Originally posted by Chief ADFP
chris were does he state the 320GB is the master? i don't see him stating it soo?

he said added to his 30GB he even stated it, he combined the two with the 320GB?

are you at his house to help him out and know what he done with it?

let the man speak for him self ok

not all HHD are the same when it come to the data speed, if the 320GB feed data faster then the 30Gb and if the page file is larger on the bigger HHD he need to reset it lower, it will bootup faster.

i'm not at his house to see what he did or how he slave them two HHD together with a DVD/CD rom.
let him speak for him self he can type as good as you.
To: Grenademan

*clue: biotch you may have to redo or update to the newer version, the flash bois update. the bois it gone bad it happens some times.

*could be as chrsipy stated; it may be a lose cable or cable gone bad totally pins not making contact goods with the cable, go out get a new cable see if that fix it.

*update your bois and see if you need to get a patch to handle larger HHD, your MOB may need a bois update to fix this.

* use the scan disk option to fix any error on the HHD
Run type in> chkdsk /F
press the enter key, then a box will come up press Y and press enter key again. restart the system.

try some of icishoot he has some good info there!

last did you change the line up on the two HHD? Pins set them as master or slave settings on the back of the housing?

don't have anything in the small floppy drive (A-Srive) when restarting system unless you upating bois or flash drive a MOB or DVD/CD drive, using a software to do something when booting.
==============================
BTW chrispy i own the 300GB HHD, he on the other hands own a 320GB HHD & 30GB HHD, please be on track when reading posting of others ok

fair warning:
Chrispy you butt heads with me again like this! i ban you for a whole week
Chief, inhale and exhale. He told me that the 300gb drive was the Master on Messenger like a month or so ago. And who cares if it's 320gb - I was just rounding it down to 300.

Chris
Intel Core Duo E7300 2.66GHz // SuperTalent DDR2 800 2GB // ASUS nVidia GeForce 8400GS 512MB // Western Digital 7200RPM 320GB SATA // LG GH-20LS 20X SATA DVD-RAM // Windows XP Pro 32-bit // Thermaltake XP550 NP 430W // Thermaltake SOPRANO SECC Black

Last edited by Chrispy; 07-26-2007 at 11:33 PM.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:58 PM
Chief ADFP

you know chrispy it would be soo nice you said that in the first place! then make it sound you been to his house and seen it first hand.

Grenademan
take the computer tower back to the shop have them look over it again it should be cover for.
have them look at the MOB cables and Bois settings
Old 07-27-2007, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Chief ADFP
you know chrispy it would be soo nice you said that in the first place! then make it sound you been to his house and seen it first hand.
Was all just a matter of ''Couldn't be bothered to'' lol. Oh well, we make mistakes don't we?

If you think you're gonna break something, or have already done what we just said, you might wanna take it to the shop. It's better if you do, because none of us are at your computer so we really don't know.

Chris