Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Computers > Tech Support
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Tech Support Have a problem? Maybe we can help!

Old 05-12-2005, 10:54 PM
Hellfighter is offline Hellfighter
Chief ADFP

Send a message via ICQ to Hellfighter
Wink Instillin software error: 16 bit Windows Subsystem AUTOEXEC.NT

error:

When Installing I get the error: 16 bit Windows Subsystem AUTOEXEC.NT The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications.

Answer:
The error message "16 bit Windows Subsystem: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application" is related to a file missing in Windows' System32 folder. In most cases it is caused by installing Windows XP Service Pack 2 as it removes certain files that are vital to the installation of many games. We have a possible fix for this problem however. The first step you would need to take would be to click on the start menu and select Search for all Files and Folders. In the search field type in: autoexec.nt

When the search finishes, you will likely only see one file located in C:\Windows\repair. Right click on this file and select copy, and then close the search window. (If you see multiple autoexec.nt files located in the windows\repair folder copy them all at once by highlighting them before clicking copy) Once back on the desktop, double click on My Computer, then double click on C: or Local Disk C:, then double click on the Windows folder, and lastly double click on the System32 folder. Once inside of the System32 folder, right click in the blank space in the folder and click paste. Once the Autoexec.net file finishes copying into the System32 folder close all of the windows and restart the computer.

attachment is fix by mircosoft i made for all.

i have found mainly older games one try to instill onto the Hard drive, you may get this type of error.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 16bit_error_fix_windowsxp_only.zip (852 Bytes, 145 views)
*Discord: Unknown77#7121
Playing now days: EA Games> swtor [star wars old republic]

Last edited by Hellfighter; 05-24-2005 at 10:41 PM.
Old 05-13-2005, 02:23 AM
Rider is offline Rider

Here u go man

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=305521

OR

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;324767

Works everytime

but thx for the help, Im sure other peeps have been wanting to solve this problem
Old 05-13-2005, 02:53 AM
Chief ADFP

thanks

some gamers been getting this type of error good other try to pitch in to help them too.

thanks for them url link
Old 06-16-2005, 03:47 AM
Chief ADFP

if my patch i made did not do the job for you try the info below

full detail on it:

Quote:
CAUSE
This issue can occur if any one of the following files are missing, damaged, or not located in the %systemroot%\System32 folder: • Autoexec.nt
• Command.com
• Config.nt

Back to the top

RESOLUTION
To resolve this issue, follow these steps:1. Insert the Windows Server 2003 CD or the Windows 2000 Server CD into the CD drive.
2. Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
3. Type the following commands, and press ENTER after each command:
expand D:\i386\config.nt_ %systemroot%\system32\config.nt

expand D:\i386\autoexec.nt_ %systemroot%\system32\autoexec.nt

expand D:\i386\command.co_ %systemroot%\system32\command.com

exit
Note The description of this procedure assumes that your CD drive letter is D. If your CD drive letter is not D, substitute the correct drive letter.
4. Start or install the program. If the issue is resolved, do not complete the remaining steps. If the issue is not resolved, go to the next step.
5. Start Notepad, and then type the following commands.

Note The Command.com file is not edited or created in the following process. Because of this, you may have to expand the file from your CD-ROM. See step 16 for instructions on how to do this.

dos=high, umb
device=%SYSTEMROOT%\system32\himem.sys
files=40

6. On the File menu, click Save As.
7. In the File Name box, type Config.nt, and then click Save. Close the Config.nt file.
8. On the File menu, click New.
9. In the new blank document, type the following entries.

@echo off
lh %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\mscdexnt.exe
lh %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\redir
lh %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\dosx
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 P330 T3

10. On the File menu, click Save As.
11. In the File Name box, type Autoexec.nt, and then click Save. Close the Autoexec.nt file.
12. Start Windows Explorer. Locate the Config.nt file, right-click the Config.nt file, and then click Copy.
13. Right-click the %systemroot%\System32 folder, and then click Paste.
14. Locate the Autoexec.nt file, right-click the Autoexec.nt file, and then click Copy.
15. Right-click the %systemroot%\System32 folder, and then click Paste.
16. Expand the Command.com file from the Windows Server 2003 or the Windows 2000 Server CD-ROM. To do this, follow these steps:a. Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
b. expand cd-rom:\i386\command.co_ drive_letter:\system_root\system32\command.com

exit

17. Verify the existence of the folder to which the TEMP and TMP user environment variables are mapped. To do this, follow these steps:a. Click Start, click Run, type sysdm.cpl in the Open box, and then click OK.
b. In the System Properties dialog box, click the Advanced tab, and then click Environment Variables.
c. In the User variables for UserName section, locate the TEMP and TMP variables. They are listed in the Variable column.
d. For the TEMP and TMP variables, note the corresponding folder that is listed in the Value column.
e. Start Windows Explorer. To do this, click Start, click Run, type explorer in the Open box, and then click OK.
f. Locate the folder that is specified for the TEMP and TMP variables. Make sure that this folder exists.

Note To locate the folder, you may have to turn on the feature that shows hidden files and folders. To do this, follow these steps:1. On the Tools menu, click Folder Options, and then click the View tab.
2. Under Hidden files and folders, click Show hidden files and folders, and then click OK.

18. Restart your computer.
Old 09-13-2005, 07:25 PM
Chammy is offline Chammy

Here's an error I'm getting when I try to install DFBHD. I don't get it when I install Joint Ops, but this happens when trying to install DFBHD and DFLW.

"The Win16 Subsystem was unable to enter Protected Mode, DOSX.EXE must be in your AUTOEXEC.NT and present in your PATH. "

Still i have not been able to resolve this.
Old 09-13-2005, 09:11 PM
Chief ADFP

Quote:
This article was previously published under Q150420
SYMPTOMS

When you attempt to access a 16-bit application from Windows NT and are using Fprot.exe, the following error message is displayed:

The Win16 Subsystem was unable to enter Protected Mode, DOSX.EXE must be in your AUTOEXEC.NT and present in your PATH.

CAUSE:
Fprot.exe inadvertently changes the file's attributes to read/hidden/system attributes. The following may be affected:
• WINNTxx
• WINNTxx\SYSTEM
• WINNTxx\SYSTEM32
• WINNTxx\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS
• WINNTxx\SYSTEM32\REPAIR

RESOLUTION
Compare the damaged system with a fresh install of NT on a second computer and reset the attributes with either the "attrib" command or File Manager.

source: http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;150420
this the search i found about it: http://support.microsoft.com/search/...XE+&range=1-20

you can call tech-support free 2x in 60s days
toll free: 1-800-234-6020
go to; http://www.microsoft.com/support/

it maybe not a bad ID if you go and updates windows there maybe a fix for it click-on "custem" in windows update site. you get full listing of update items.

keep in mind they will check to see if your windows has not been share with others or pirated off. they will test your system for product ID

windows update link: http://update.microsoft.com/microsof....aspx?ln=en-us

Last edited by Hellfighter; 09-13-2005 at 10:16 PM.