Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Games > Joint Operations

Joint Operations Anything about the Joint Operations series of games.

Old 06-21-2014, 12:37 PM
HomeSkool is offline HomeSkool

Adding vehicle models.

Long story short I am trying to figure out what extra vehicles it is possible to add to Joint Ops. I know there are some mods out there I'm not too sure how to work with them and or if I'm allowed to work with them.

I am making a map with many different civilian towns with lots of AI civilian activity. I have them driving Taxi's, fuel trucks, and transport trucks. Besides the taxi none of these are really civilian vehicles. I have seen some cool screen shots of pickup trucks etc.

1. Is there some type of mod I can use to add a few more vehicles?
2. Am I allowed to use other peoples models?
3. When a new model is added does it replace an old one?
4. And if it is possible how the heck do I even start?

I use DFXMed for my map making.
Thanks everyone.
Old 06-24-2014, 05:08 PM
HomeSkool is offline HomeSkool

Bump?
Old 08-14-2014, 07:48 PM
2DNED is offline 2DNED

1. Is there some type of mod I can use to add a few more vehicles?
You could use a blank PFF file and use packit to import your own item to it. There are a few ways you can go here..

2. Am I allowed to use other peoples models?
If you wish to use items from other people mods you first need to ask for permission to use that item, it's just respect to ask. Most won't mind as long as you don't take credit for there work.

3. When a new model is added does it replace an old one?
Are you just replacing the skin of the vehicle or is it a new vehicle added.
You can re skin a vehicle to change the paint job without too much trouble.
If you want to add a new vehicle it can be a LOT of work from scratch. Taking one from a mod would be quick and easy way as someone has done all the work for you.

4. And if it is possible how the heck do I even start?
Yes it is possible but a hell of a lot of work. Start by reading forums which specialize in mods, e.g. DFReload (no offense to NovaHQ). Pull the game apart using a PFF Utility (found in downloads section) you will end up lots of different files, work out what they are for and how to convert them.

I would avoid thinking of making a proper mod for the fact when you finish it there will be no one around to play it unless you host it and everyone joining the server would have to have it installed. The amount of time that goes into a mod is ridiculous. Your better off finding a mod you like and join the team of like minded guys. Some people are good with code and others with graphics as a team you can accomplish a lot more quicker as opposed to doing it on your own.
On the other hand if it is just for you and you only want to add a few things and keep it basic go for it.