Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Games > Joint Operations
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Joint Operations Anything about the Joint Operations series of games.

Old 06-13-2014, 10:08 PM
Guest001 is offline Guest001

You're in luck it works a treat.

Just a few buildings in the air but I didn't go over the map before saving it as I instructed you myself Dah!

I'm very happy for you my friend.

Go for it!
Old 06-13-2014, 10:25 PM
HomeSkool is offline HomeSkool

I've managed to "Save and Export" my file but for whatever reason it causes a sysdump error when I try to load it. Not sure what may be causing this.

I've done an integrity check in DFX and it says "unknown objects"
They are all of the JOE objects. I think I'm confused on how to make DFX compatible with JOE

**UPDATE**

I've removed the JOE objects and it no longer crashes on load. Excellent.
1. I need to get DFX to see all JOE objects
2. I need to be able to set the height of my objects back to ground level. Everything including all of the trees are at insane heights. I doubt there is a quick fix for that.

Last edited by HomeSkool; 06-13-2014 at 10:41 PM.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:06 PM

Select them all and right click and select snap to terrain
Old 06-13-2014, 11:11 PM

Done & done.
Still trying to understand how to apply JOE to DFX

And it also removed the bunkers I had set for Advance and secure. I'll have to learn how to setup that again.

Your help has been invaluable Stompem!
Old 06-13-2014, 11:22 PM

The bunkers are there somewhere but you'll have to find them again.

Look can you upload the NPJ and the MIS you converted please.

See below the message box it says Go Advanced, click on that and when it opens you'll see below that it says Manage Attachments click on that to upload here

Put the maps in a zip file and upload them here or send them as is to me at stompem@hotmail.com and I'll fix it for you.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:38 PM

Copy that. I've followed your instructions and uploaded both files in a rar.

The main area I am working on is the delta base area on the Twin Island Terrain file. Hight of objects like you said I can manually correct. But the advance and secure start places are gone and it starts me automatically at X base.
Attached Files
File Type: rar Twin Island Super City Map files.rar (83.5 KB, 1 views)
Old 06-14-2014, 12:04 AM

OK mate, I'm on the case but I'm really tired now, been up all night fixing PC's and helping you here (no problem) but it's now afternoon 2:30PM here in Australia so I've just run out of puff and my brain is screaming out for a few hours sleep.

I have no doubts about getting it in order for you and then you can continue on from there. I don't know where you are located but you'll probably need a bit of rest too?

See I'm raving now so I'll download the file and let you know here when I'm done )))
Old 06-14-2014, 12:09 AM

I'm in Canada and it's 10pm so sleep is a good idea for me too. Thanks a ton and talk to ya in awhile!
Old 06-14-2014, 08:18 PM

Here is your map

You may have to go over it to double check, in some cases I had to guess the heights you wanted.

I password protected it for you.

Look in your Message box for it.

Edit.
Because of the bunkers
I made 2 versions, TISC_NPJtoMIS and TISC_NPJtoMIS2
TISC_NPJtoMIS has normal bunkers
TISC_NPJtoMIS2 has the bunkers with spawn volumes

Same password for both
Attached Files
File Type: zip TISC_NPJtoMIS.zip (36.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: zip TISC_NPJtoMIS2.zip (36.4 KB, 1 views)
Old 06-14-2014, 09:41 PM

Excellent! Thank you so much!

When I do the integrity check it says unknown objects. These are all of the JOE add-ons. I am struggling to get DFXMED to access the JOE information?

**UPDATE**
Scratch that. I figured out that I needed to add the slash command to the shortcut to add the JOE Mod.

The heights of objects look great in the game! Thanks so much for helping man!!

Converting the map from NILE to DFXMed has destroyed the bunkers and all the settings that make the map an advance and secure map. I had the advance and secure the same as the original Twin Island map. All of those settings are lost. Is that a tricky thing to re-setup?

Last edited by HomeSkool; 06-14-2014 at 10:26 PM.
Old 06-15-2014, 03:35 AM

There are 2 types of Bunker in the MEd:

They are stored in different locations.

Buildings... (Cbunker1) Has Spawn Volume? NO

Objects..... (Cbunker2) Has Spawn Volume? YES

Good Luck!

Last edited by Guest001; 06-15-2014 at 11:20 PM.
Old 06-15-2014, 01:54 PM

Oh maybe I missed something then. I am trying to add advance and secure bunkers to my map, I'm trying to recreate it just like it was in the Original Twin Islands Map.

I am now using DFXMed to do the editing.
Are you saying I need to use NILE to add advance and secure waypoints?
I'm happy to figure out how to change the game style etc I just want to make sure I'm using the right program.
Old 06-15-2014, 11:17 PM

AFAIK
AAS only works with NILE maps (again unless someone else has found a way).

If you think about it, most players are not that interested in AI when playing AAS maps anyway, that's more for Single Player and COOP maps.

In my personal opinion there's not enough difference between AAS and TDM to worry about it too much, mainly it's just an Icon on the HUD and take-over time at the PSP which can be adjusted.

So as previously suggested, perhaps you should continue in the NILE with AAS maps and use the MEd for AI based maps.

BTW
The difficulties encountered when making COOP and SP maps with complex AI and WAC scripts in the NILE is a long standing and well known issue among map makers.

If you are only enabling some basic stuff like Helo waypoint looping and AI control, I think you should be able to do that in the NILE without the WAC.

Look inside the JO PFFs and you'll see that most of the NovaLogic maps are bms (MEd) maps.

Last edited by Guest001; 06-15-2014 at 11:32 PM.
Old 06-16-2014, 12:16 AM

Thanks for much for the input!

Luckily it was fairly simple to setup AAS in MED.
1. You just assign the bunkers to be red team or blue team
2. Then on each bunker you assign a "LFP group" number. 1-2-3-4 and so on for as many bunkers as you want.

Pretty sure that's all there is to it. Have tested it and it all appears good.

Last edited by HomeSkool; 06-16-2014 at 01:51 AM.
Old 06-16-2014, 02:12 AM

I now have many events that happen. But the trigger for the events is often a simple "if ssn is alive". My next goal is to make the time of day trigger these events. But I am at a total loss on how to do this. I can't manually edit the WAC anymore. It does not appear that DFXMed stores data in the WAC the same way Nile did?
Old 06-16-2014, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeSkool View Post
Thanks for much for the input!

Luckily it was fairly simple to setup AAS in MED.
1. You just assign the bunkers to be red team or blue team
2. Then on each bunker you assign a "LFP group" number. 1-2-3-4 and so on for as many bunkers as you want.

Pretty sure that's all there is to it. Have tested it and it all appears good.
Wonderful stuff!!!

I made some AAS for JO with the NILE many years ago but never published them because I couldn't get what I wanted happening with the NILE at all.

So I may go back and look at that now... so you've helped me
Clever work!

RE: AAS in DFX2
The main problem I had with AAS in DFX2 is the AAS location overlay conflicts with the radar (both located top right on the HUD).

I assume that cannot be rectified (pity)
Old 06-16-2014, 04:38 AM

Quote:
I now have many events that happen. But the trigger for the events is often a simple "if ssn is alive". My next goal is to make the time of day trigger these events. But I am at a total loss on how to do this. I can't manually edit the WAC anymore. It does not appear that DFXMed stores data in the WAC the same way Nile did?
Open your map and save it then select TOOLS (tab) and then select "Open mission WAC!" and it will generate a blank WAC where you can enter your scripts and it will be auto saved with the map.

Try this:
//EXAMPLE: ssn1=Bot1 ssn2=Helo [Send ssn1 to ssn 2 then redirect ss2 to WP1WP1]
//If the helo is empty it will not go anywhere until ssn1 is mounted.
if eq curTOD,08:01 and never then
ssntossn 1,2
ssntoWP 2,1
endif

What I do to reduce WAC errors (the wac can fail for many reasons including problems like a delay loading a wave file when a sound or explosion occurs at the exact same time) try to set as much as possible with the event editor and only use the WAC when you have to.
Old 06-16-2014, 12:16 PM

Sounds good. I'll try to use your script in the WAC when I get home later today.

I'd prefer to only use the in game event manager but I can't seem to easily make delays in waypoints? I want the helicopter to land, the pilot get out, Walk up to a guy like they are having a conversation, Then 2 minutes later get back into the chopper and take off.

The only easy way I could imagine doing this is via the time of day in the WAC. Then the civilian transport truck will drive a few "cargo" runs in the day. Then park for the night before starting to do it all over again the next day. This way Civilian activity could be heavier during the day and quite at night.

So long story short if I use the WAC for many things it will start to glitch out?
Old 06-16-2014, 12:39 PM

When I mentioned Waypoint pausing I may have been a bit misleading... sry

I don't use it from the waypoints themselves I set it from the event editor

In the event editor look to the top right and you'll see you can set a delay on the event itself, also you can reset the event.

If you have a look in the map I uploaded you will see that's the way I've delayed the Chinook at waypoint 3

Make a waypoint to follow then a separate waypoint to pause at then another to land and redirect to another set of main waypoints using the reset flags (waypoints visited) command to make it go around again.

It's a bit fiddly sometimes but as you see in the demo map it works fine, just follow the example set there and you should be able to tailor it to your needs.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd like to ask you something please.

In the converted map I'm working on now "many thanks to you " I'm still having the same issue I had in the NILE. Will a neutral base take-over work?

I really can't reliably test it yet. Especially when hosting it from my PC. (other issues involved there)

I want a neutral base smack in the middle of the map, otherwise I'd have to have a blue and red there and it just doesn't really seem suitable...

I value your abilities and I'm glad I helped you up to this point because it led to revealing answers to questions I'd decided to forget about but now I want to revive and publish these old maps for JO, so a bit of your advice on this would really be appreciated.

Last edited by Guest001; 06-16-2014 at 01:09 PM.
Old 06-16-2014, 01:02 PM

Quote:
So long story short if I use the WAC for many things it will start to glitch out?
Not size so much (I don't really know the limits but I've made some huge WAC scripts)

Some things to watch are not to get the timing of chained waves too close.

It depends how long the wave plays or if it repeats by way of an elapsed command.

"if past 10 and elapse 600 then" will trigger the script 10 seconds after the first player enters the map then every 10 minutes thereafter.

You can understand that if it tries to trigger the next sound before the previous one has finished playing or at the precise moment the elapsed command triggers, it could cause problems.

This is where waveready comes into play and you may have to do some maths to make sure that doesn't occur

Other ways to help prevent this are to encapsulate (enclose) the script.

dornd
enddo

loop
and
ploop

Once again check in at the following for more detailed info

Daves DFX wac scripts

Stompem On The Web Knowledge Base

Last edited by Guest001; 06-16-2014 at 01:23 PM.