Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Games > Delta Force

Delta Force Anything to do with the Delta Force series of games, DF1, DF2, LW, TFD, BHD, DFX, AF etc.

Old 02-06-2012, 04:19 PM
Redox is offline Redox

New Tournament Website

Hi All,

First of all, very cool to see that NovaHQ is still alive and kicking. I personally did not expect it, have been out of the scene for a while.

For those who don't know me, my name is Redox, one of the people behind the old euro-arena, df-arena and nova-arena. We have already shut down our websites a long time ago. But I got new experience with the DF scene about 4 years ago when I briefly managed the technical side of FGL league. Hope (some of) you guys might still remember them all.

Anyway, when we were running FGLeague, the DF ladders were one of the most active ladders out there. Currently we are looking at launching a new gaming tournament website aimed at the smaller gaming communities instead of all the big games that all the other gaming websites like ESL and clanbase are already focussing on. I consider the DF community one of these more active smaller communities we might be looking at.

To see if it would be interested for us to look into DF again I was wondering if there are currently still a lot of active squads, if there are any tournament websites and whether according to you guys it would make any sense starting a new tournament website for DF?

I must say that I have never lost faith in the DF community, although Nova-Logic imo is not really helping by delaying Angel Falls already for years, but is it still big enough for ladders and cups?

Very much looking for your replies on this.

Cheers, Redox
Old 02-06-2012, 07:07 PM
Trooper is offline Trooper

Hey dude never heard of u but everything sounds positive from what im reading :P i used to enter my teams in the novahq tourneys and im pretty sure na aswell it was Df1 days back then lol , anyways im on DFLW at the momment i have counted over 14active squads with atleast 10 active members.... only prob is there like mainly USA but no prob for me as i play late :P , Im one to check every df server for all games everyday to see how the communitys are growing ..the newer games seem to be die'ing and the older titles like BHD , TS , AND LW Seem to be slowly growing..but we know what will happen to them a repeat of DF1.....when AF comes out i predict they will die off but with people like u doing tournaments for the older titles it would give people that spark again.. a true reason to play the game n have fun :P .. do u play any titles? that helps going to servers rather than posting in gaming forums as alot of players only visit their squad's forums nowdays...........the scene is still good tho i got aload of DF1 dudes who stil play df1 online time to time so im sure alot of oldies are waiting for something like this to come alongg...

kensta df1
trooper df1
x-seal df1
graffiti-df2 - df2 kensta

if u need a hand pm me dude , my site is www.cloud-hosted.co.uk
Old 02-07-2012, 08:41 AM
Guest001 is offline Guest001

My opinion is that the later releases of DF could be the better focus because of their ability to construct more complex environments than the former and would be more likely to attract new players disconcerted with the excessive demands of current game technology.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:43 AM
Scott is offline Scott
AKA. Panther

Hello Redox, been a long time since I've seen you around.

Not really sure how active df is anymore. The forums here are pretty slow along with news from Nova about any new games.. Still getting a decent amount of traffic on the main pages and what not though. The game lobbies do still show active players and servers but I would doubt the squad scene is really hot right now.

04' Dodge SRT-4, Mopar Stage 3, 406whp/436wtq
Old 02-07-2012, 03:07 PM
Trooper is offline Trooper

Land warrior is like so old and has more active players than DFX/2 Thats how messed up nova has let it get lol... trying to hard on their newer titles i would say

if ur intrested i could get a list of leaders emails of clans on land warrior for u and im sure some of the other guys could do the same in other df titles?

Ths is what the community needs but it will take some time for all squads to apply to it.

It can be done.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:09 PM
Redox is offline Redox

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies so far, hopefully more people will share their opinion.

@Graffiti; help is always welcome, but we are currently in a stage of indexing and looking at opportunities. So I also don't want to look too far ahead. A list of still active squads would help btw, if their leadership did not change I might know most of them anyway. Although I would prefer topics on their forums instead of asking a single person in a squad. So squad names is enough.

@stompem; thanks for the feedback, but the point is to attract existing smaller communities and not to attract new players to older games. We want to work and make cool cups/tournaments/ladders for real fans of a game and not focus on people who player the 'game of the week', so to say.

@Scott; they weirdest thing is that it looks like a lot of people are on the forums (currently 43 people viewing this forum) but they are not replying (unless the stats are of). Anyway, hope more people will reply to get a better impression. I'm still playing BHD btw but under a different name as I suck more then I use too .
Old 02-07-2012, 08:19 PM

Now Black Hawk Down is the one to do it I reckon. TFD is nearly there others are good but...

My case for BHD is that it is right there smack in the middle of the Tech. The game sings on-line, I have never had any lagging because of Assets.

The Editor is highly advanced and has plenty of assets, low minimum specs, the AI works well just no Vehicle Use as the vehicles have AI embedded already so you just go along for the ride.

Yes the Old crew are necessary but nothing lasts without new blood I'm afraid and some are looking for a permanent home and Nova games are the place especially being the only game with the MEd capabilities making it possible for unlimited scenarios.

I can't help thinking Nova took a big risk providing it (MEd) so many thanks to them and also this series has stayed online longer than most better known games because of it.

This is a good Idea you have proposed but should not be a closed affair IMO.
Scope for new players to be enticed and accepted is critical in any revival movement.

Best Regards
Stomp
Old 02-08-2012, 08:27 AM
Redox is offline Redox

Hi Stomp,

Thanks for the feedback again. I agree with your argument that this should not be a closed affair, that new blood is always needed to continue a game but I also believe that a game can continue running for such a long time because of a core of hardcore fans. Without it, it is doomed. Many populair games in the past did not live further then their 5th birthday because there is no strong community behind it. Others like Quake II for example are, after 15 years, still alive and still attracting new blood because their hardcore people stayed. I believe that with a strong community and core of good fans, a game will always stay alive and because of that, will always draw new blood. I do not believe a single tournament website will have much effect on that, although in a later stage this for sure could be a goal of the organization. My first intentions is to look within the Delta Force series to see which game would be most suited to start with. It's good to know from your angle that BHD has likely the most potential.

Gr, Redox
Old 02-08-2012, 10:53 AM

Personally I prefer DFX2 but my conclusions for this purpose led me to choose BHD.
That is after examining all the pro's and con's I could
So in following that I also concluded that the map makers might be best to get together and create some new maps based on the aspects of previously successful maps.

It doesn't matter how good a map is, people can get tired of the same old face and the challenge of uncertainty and intrigue is also lost with the familiarity that comes from repeatedly playing a map.

Of course the older maps would have to stay as a feature attraction for old times sake and for the uninitiated and just the plain fact that they are proven and good
to play, like a tradition.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:05 PM
Shire is offline Shire

I for one would like to see DFBHD continue, there seems to be some very dedicated players. I have been away for a couple years myself.

Recently I and two other players from yesteryear have returned and started a squad. We are hoping people will come back, not as many hits as before but there still there.

ES~Shire.

echosnipersquad.com
Old 02-10-2012, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shire View Post
I for one would like to see DFBHD continue, there seems to be some very dedicated players. I have been away for a couple years myself.

Recently I and two other players from yesteryear have returned and started a squad. We are hoping people will come back, not as many hits as before but there still there.

ES~Shire.

echosnipersquad.com
Awesome to have you back Shire.

I am all for a revival and to me BHD seems to be the minimun entry level (sry to those who disagree and like older DF games) I still love the older games but as I pointed out it's a big ask for them to lead the way now.

***(Unless a joint operation is mounted)***

Any particular reason you are back?

This thread attracted your attention obviously but what made you come back to look in the first place is something worth investigating for future reference in any revival strategy.

Stomp
Old 02-10-2012, 11:28 AM
Shire is offline Shire

I think the number on reason is, in my opinion, becides the graphics there is no other military sim as good as dfbhd. You can run on a map unil your heart comtent, map making is user friendly, players have control where they can respawn, ect... the game play it great.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:32 AM
Shire is offline Shire

So a couple friends and I, thought we would give it a go. It is also good to see Nova hq is still active, unlike some others which fell off the scene. This has alwas been a great place for maps and utilities for the games.
Old 02-10-2012, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shire View Post
I think the number on reason is, in my opinion, besides the graphics there is no other military sim as good as dfbhd. You can run on a map until your hearts content, map making is user friendly, players have control where they can re-spawn, etc... the game-play is great.
Precisely my reasoning as well. The graphics are stable and good enough to
easily put yourself there and become immersed in the world you, or someone else has dreamed up and constructed with the help of the editor.

As I have said in threads and posts before. The MEd has modular assets with 3D wire-frame placement of all objects, AI behavior is controllable and objectives are adjustable. Although the capabilities of the AI could use some evolution towards more autonomy.

One example would be for the AI being able to detect obstacles and stairways more effectively. Also the ability to climb ladders would truly be wonderful.
Yet a skillful mapper can find their way around these limitations.

Other editors allow world building in an extremely complex and technical manner, most not allowing AI control at all.

Some have scenario based generalized settings and way-point placement.

Some use seeding which is a great Idea but in it's current forms still do not allow precise and individual settings to the extent seen in most Novalogic games.

Last edited by Guest001; 02-10-2012 at 05:23 PM.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:56 PM
dave61 is offline dave61
I.C.U.

Send a message via Yahoo to dave61
Quote:
Originally Posted by stompem View Post
One example would be for the AI being able to detect obstacles and stairways more effectively. Also the ability to climb ladders would truly be wonderful.
Yet a skillful mapper can find their way around these limitations.
As a side note:

Actually, Stomp using small radiused waypoints and setting the Change AI, SINGLE to "climber" and then turning it on , the AI will climb ladders in DF series games.
Old 02-11-2012, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave61 View Post
As a side note:

Actually, Stomp using small radiused waypoints and setting the Change AI, SINGLE to "climber" and then turning it on , the AI will climb ladders in DF series games.
WTF! Dave! I love you!
Old 02-11-2012, 12:58 AM

And the Pussy Cat!
Old 02-11-2012, 01:04 AM

I am dumb and dumber it seems. Thanks to all you guys and gals who have gone out of their way to help me. Love yooz all!

Stomp
Old 02-11-2012, 01:19 PM
dave61 is offline dave61
I.C.U.

Send a message via Yahoo to dave61
Quote:
Originally Posted by stompem View Post
And the Pussy Cat!
That's my daughters' cat Bandit. He loves to sit in that chair and watch TV.

He says "your welcome & is glad he could help".
Old 02-11-2012, 03:45 PM

Had a few last nite SRY.
But does that cat sit like that all the time?
Does he smoke a pipe?