Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Games > Gaming Talk
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Gaming Talk Post all your game related stuff here. This includes PC, Console, Handhelds etc.

Old 08-15-2009, 02:35 AM
Chrispy is offline Chrispy

Send a message via MSN to Chrispy Send a message via Yahoo to Chrispy
Borderlands

Is anyone looking forward to seeing how this turns out?

I'm really liking the idea of a RPG/FPS cross (I was recently new to RPG, playing WoW like last year, and while it had a steep learning curve it was kickass). It's primarily FPS though (which I guess is cool as that's my favourite genre ).

Not only that, but millions of weapons! And I think other things like random mob and location generation? Hopefully there'll be lots of replay value. I'm also hoping everything will be real varied - like quests, landscape (e.g. not just barren desert), abilities, mobs, etc.
Intel Core Duo E7300 2.66GHz // SuperTalent DDR2 800 2GB // ASUS nVidia GeForce 8400GS 512MB // Western Digital 7200RPM 320GB SATA // LG GH-20LS 20X SATA DVD-RAM // Windows XP Pro 32-bit // Thermaltake XP550 NP 430W // Thermaltake SOPRANO SECC Black
Old 08-15-2009, 09:51 AM
Scott is offline Scott
AKA. Panther

I really want to try this one out I wouldn't get to excited about how many weapons there are though.

04' Dodge SRT-4, Mopar Stage 3, 406whp/436wtq
Old 08-15-2009, 11:39 AM
~MOUSE~ is offline ~MOUSE~

"87 bazillion guns"
Slight exaggeration I think.

Wouldn't mind if it was a MMORPG.

Last edited by ~MOUSE~; 08-15-2009 at 11:50 AM.
Old 08-15-2009, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
I really want to try this one out I wouldn't get to excited about how many weapons there are though.
Yeah, half the weapons are probably just slight variations of each other, but that's okay.

I just hope there's lots of gameplay and replay value.
Intel Core Duo E7300 2.66GHz // SuperTalent DDR2 800 2GB // ASUS nVidia GeForce 8400GS 512MB // Western Digital 7200RPM 320GB SATA // LG GH-20LS 20X SATA DVD-RAM // Windows XP Pro 32-bit // Thermaltake XP550 NP 430W // Thermaltake SOPRANO SECC Black
Old 08-15-2009, 05:17 PM
Scott is offline Scott
AKA. Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrispy View Post
Yeah, half the weapons are probably just slight variations of each other, but that's okay.

I just hope there's lots of gameplay and replay value.
More like the vast majority. Does not mean it won't be fun though. RPG+FPS much be a good mix.

Old 08-15-2009, 10:56 PM
Bustin is offline Bustin
DF2 Forever

I was enthralled with this game until they switched it from looking as good as Rage to this new "artsy" style. It ruins a lot of the rpg gameplay because now everything stands out so easily...there's no need for a stealthy sniper because you can see the giant black outlines on the horizon.

Old 08-16-2009, 12:09 AM
Scott is offline Scott
AKA. Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustin View Post
I was enthralled with this game until they switched it from looking as good as Rage to this new "artsy" style. It ruins a lot of the rpg gameplay because now everything stands out so easily...there's no need for a stealthy sniper because you can see the giant black outlines on the horizon.
I think the change was good although I think the black lines could be reduced a little. I played a game called Afro Samari that had the same art style and i thought the graphics were pretty sweet.

Old 08-16-2009, 12:44 AM

I like the new cel-shaded style they did - it makes the game look more authentic and different from most other shooters.
Old 08-16-2009, 06:33 AM
Bustin is offline Bustin
DF2 Forever

I think companies go that route to be lazy if you ask me.

Old 08-19-2009, 02:53 PM

Just some random stuff I found throughout the Gearbox forums:

Quote:
I was twittering this, but I'll just go ahead and post here to avoid further confusion.

"Armor" in Borderlands can be broken down into one of two schools of thought.

Statistics and Visuals. It's all represented, just probably not in the traditional sense you're thinking of.

We have a very robust system for upgrading your character in ways that are not weapons. You can upgrade:

-Shields
-Class Mod
-Artifacts

All of these added together provide the same ability to customize your character as a traditional RPG, albeit in a slightly simplified matter. A shield is basically what keeps you alive, but with thousands upon thousands of them around, you're sure to find some that do really interesting things (faster recharge, higher capacity, do damage to enemies, light **** on fire, make you breakfast, etc.)

In addition there are class mods which do all matter of crazy things. Class mods are specific to Hunter, Siren, Besersker, Soldier, and can affect any number of things. Some buff your existing skill tree stats, some increase individual skills as well as well as Co-Op skills (i.e. stand next to Mordecai and your accuracy goes way up!) Some do crazy stuff like multiply the number of bullets you fire each time you fire your gun... the list goes on. I'm just listing off the crap I've seen-- and there's no way I've seen all of it.

Artifacts are another type of collectible gear. These are rare, and they can have really insane effects. The one I have on my Bloodwing right now actually blows people up on contact... it's crazy. And hilarious. And everyone loves a bird that can blow people up. That's the only one I'll spoil... Artifacts are the super happiest drop you'll find in Borderlands.

And as for visuals. We separated the visual customizations of the characters from the gear upgrades to allow people to look how they want without affecting their gear. Like in some games... you end up looking like a total dork just to get the stats you need. Not so in Borderlands. The characters can be customized and re-customized at any New-U station around Pandora.

I think I answered that to the best of my ability. Please refrain from eating the chairs.

Peace.

---------------------------

Oh ****, forgot to update Hobo with his super important question.

Yes, there are tons of shields that protect against certain types of damage. Some protect against multiple, some are all purpose. This is represented visually in the game, so you know if you're trying to light some fool on fire that is protected from that, you can switch and electrocute him into marshmellow goo.

----------------------------------

What are the classes?
Siren (Lilith): uses phasewalk and becomes invisible/invincible, moves fast
Berserker (Brick): loves to punch, huge and strong
Sniper (Mordecai): hangs back and lets high-caliber sniper rifles and pet bloodwing pick 'em off
Soldier (Roland): uses a turret and supports his fellows

Character customization? Skill Trees?
Each character class has three different skill trees that emphasize different playstyles within the class. Details regarding skill trees are not complete. We know Roland has a support tree that can create healing bullets, and that Brick has a tree that pumps up his melee damage. You'll be able to name your character as you choose, and customize visual appearance somewhat. You'll also be afforded a way to reinvest the points you've spent on talents.

FPS or RPG?
Both! Borderlands combines FPS combat with RPG character development and loot. The gameplay itself is FPS, not dice-rolls. The characters have skill points and can suit many playstyles, and loot comes out of everything. It's very satisfying. Some other games have begun to experiment combining these genres - Borderlands is the first to approach from an FPS vector and layer RPG on top.

Is the game linear or open?
Pandora is a big place with lots to do. You can follow the main story or go off on your own in search of the best gun, the toughest enemies, or the best place to drive. There are many side quests to complete, but in order to "finish" the game, you'll need to play the main questline someday.

Are there AI buddies?
No, you can play by yourself or with friends, but you do not have AI mercenaries.

How does the game scale? Does it?
Balance is currently undergoing iteration to find the perfect fit. Whether you are playing single-player or full-on 4-player co-op, you'll find the game rewarding and challenging - that's the intent. We do know that all of the world does not directly and strictly scale to your level - you'll be able to measure your growth by going back and kicking the ass of those skags that gave you so much trouble early on.

Is there a level cap?
Yes, there will be a level cap. The level cap is 50.

How many enemies?
Borderlands features lots of enemies. These enemies include quite a few base categories, and many many significant variations on those themes. There are estimated to be 150 kinds of enemies to fight.

What's a "badass?"
WoW has elites, Borderlands has badasses. These enemies will be tougher and will drop better loot than regular old enemies do.

What happens when I die?
When you die, you enter "Fight for your life!" You drop down and are unable to move, but are still able to fire shots for a time while your screen dims. If you deal a killing blow to an enemy in this state, you are returned to life with some of your shield and health restored. If you don't, you are returned to the last New-U station for a fee.

Does it Blend?
Well, yeah, I mean I guess it would. Probably.