Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Off-Topic > General Chat
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General Chat Talk about anything that does not fit into other topics here.

Old 01-31-2010, 03:22 PM
SilentTrigger is offline SilentTrigger
-1PARA-

Nikon D300 and SB900 low temp performance

Was out taking a few photos and went to this stream where I lived before. it had turned into a little creek because of the low tempretures.

Was around -30 to -25C when taking the photo. The D300 held up without any issues, even with the moist air. The camera bag on the other hand froze to ice and i had to use force to close it when packing up. Lost the feelings in my hands as I was operating the camera without my gloves as they ware big and bulky, so it was a bit hard to do things as I didn't know if I had pressed a button or not, I just coudn't feel it but the camera never complained.

Was really impressed by both my D300 and my SB900, not even as much as a slow down, even the LCD worked perfectly despite the conditions, no moisture went into the camera even though I was close to rapidly moving water and the fact that it was also foggy because of the tempreture difference of the water and the air. Note that the camera is sealed but not my lens so there's places where the moisture would be able to get in.

The SB900 was put in deep snow along a small bridge across the path of the water, also close to the water spray, but no issues what so ever ware noticed, the only thing that was effected is expected and that is the battery, but they ware holding up really well actually. They ware drained faster but I did take about 10- 20 shots at 20 - 30 sec exposures. This was on a battery with a 25 - 35% charge and there ware still power to spare at the end. Flash was also used in commander mode togather with the SB900. The SB900 still haven't drained the batteries even if there ware a few 1:1 flashes fired

Really impressed with this camera and recommend it to anyone who is considering it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_7219 monochrome small.jpg (151.7 KB, 18 views)

My photography website

Old 01-31-2010, 04:49 PM
Steve is offline Steve
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Steve
is there a recommended work temperature for the Nikon? seesm pretty low, but thinking about it i'm not too suprised, i mean you pay enough for the stuff it should be useable all over the world

nice shot
Old 02-01-2010, 11:13 AM
-1PARA-

Do think it's rated to -40. But it's however never advertised that it's waterproof or even fogproof (Think I might have come upt with a new protection level ) so that -40 is supposed to be dry most likley

So it's a supprise everytime it does coop with it. It's sealed but only with a sealed lens which i dont have

My photography website

Old 02-01-2010, 11:53 AM
Scott is offline Scott
AKA. Panther

That's a very nice shot! I really like how the edges of objects seem to blur. That would make a good painting.

04' Dodge SRT-4, Mopar Stage 3, 406whp/436wtq
Old 02-01-2010, 12:50 PM
-1PARA-

Thank you very much, it's taken at around 30 sec so the water makes for a smooth shape when it moves over the edge

My photography website

Old 02-01-2010, 01:07 PM
Steve is offline Steve
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Steve
id think it would most likely have a problem if it's been ~30 for a while and then you took it inside where it is warm/humid. i'd hate it if i got any condensation in my camera
Old 02-01-2010, 01:16 PM
Hellfighter is offline Hellfighter
Chief ADFP

Send a message via ICQ to Hellfighter
becareful i heard

LCD Screen are sweet and all, but when it comes to freezing cold they go bad, don't let it stay in the freezing air very long or set it down for 5-10min in the freezing cold air. think the crystals or fluid inside LCD screen get damage

btw:
love the Snapshot
*Discord: Unknown77#7121
Playing now days: EA Games> swtor [star wars old republic]
Old 02-02-2010, 12:26 PM
-1PARA-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
id think it would most likely have a problem if it's been ~30 for a while and then you took it inside where it is warm/humid. i'd hate it if i got any condensation in my camera
The cure of that issue is to put it in an air-tight plastic bag, this is before you bring it inside into the warm air. If you do this and leave it in the plastic bag until it's as warm as the air around the bag, you won't much issues with condensation

EDIT: Oh and silica gel or Rice is a good addition

My photography website

Last edited by SilentTrigger; 02-02-2010 at 12:44 PM.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:42 PM
Sen is offline Sen
OG

whoa.
i gotta get me one of these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedrumSalad View Post
@Sen: your avatar creeps the hell outta me
Old 02-02-2010, 01:06 PM
-1PARA-

Just checked and the operating tempreture is between 0 C to 40 C so it's actually not rated for these tempretures (0C is 32 F if i remember correctly) but it should be able to coop with it as long as the right precaution regarding condensations are considered. Didn't think i would mess that up, could of sworn is was around -40, guess i took the +40 as -40 hehe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post

nice shot
Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
becareful i heard

LCD Screen are sweet and all, but when it comes to freezing cold they go bad, don't let it stay in the freezing air very long or set it down for 5-10min in the freezing cold air. think the crystals or fluid inside LCD screen get damage

btw:
love the Snapshot
Thank you Will, and thank you steve!

Yeah that happend to the phone, didn't brake but very bright colors and the LCD was really slow

My photography website

Last edited by SilentTrigger; 02-02-2010 at 01:19 PM.