Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Off-Topic > General Chat
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General Chat Talk about anything that does not fit into other topics here.

Old 10-22-2005, 04:35 PM
-Tigger- is offline -Tigger-
BB

Bird Flu Hits Sweden

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0...452570,00.html

Quote:
BIRD FLU HITS SWEDEN
Bird flu has been discovered in Sweden but scientists have yet to confirm whether it is the deadly H5N1 strain.

Sweden's National Veterinary Institute said a duck found dead east of the capital has tested positive for avian flu. Confirmation of the exact strain is due tomorrow.

The news comes shortly after the British government called for a ban on the trade of all live birds in the EU in a bid to stem the spread of the virus.

Meanwhile, experts are carrying out tests on a parrot found to have died from Britain's first case of bird flu - but the Government and the EU insist the UK still has disease-free status.

The parrot was in quarantine when it died of the H5 strain of the virus and scientists are trying to confirm whether it was the feared H5N1 strain that is deadly to humans.

Chief Veterinary Officer Debby Reynolds said: "The confirmed case does not affect the UK's official disease free status because the disease has been identified in imported birds during quarantine."

More than 300 birds which were being held in a biosecure quarantine unit at an undisclosed location have been humanely culled.

The parrot was part of a mixed consignment of 148 birds that arrived from Suriname, South America on September 16. They were being held with 216 birds from Taiwan.

H5N1, which has infected over 100 people, killing 60 of them, recently spread into Romania, Turkey and Russia.

The H5 strain has also been confirmed in Croatia.

Dr Reynolds said the "incident showed the importance of the UK's quarantine system".

The last time a case of avian flu was confirmed in Britain was 1992.

It is a highly-infectious viral disease which affects poultry, pigeons and other birds and varies in severity, from causing no deaths to killing entire flocks in hours.

It is most easily spread through bird secretions, particularly faeces, but can also be passed via objects contaminated by an infected bird.

The UK's Chief Medical Officer Sir Liam Donaldson has warned that a flu pandemic may kill up to 50,000 people in the UK alone.

Between two and 50 million are expected to die globally if a pandemic occurs.

:: China has said it will close its borders if it discovers a single case of human-to-human transmission of bird flu.
guess its time to start hoping.. this is spreading far quicker than we have all thought
Old 10-22-2005, 05:16 PM
Sal UK is offline Sal UK

Send a message via ICQ to Sal UK
I still say its a scare tactic, What for I dont know.

But bird flu has been in asia for years and it hasnt mutated there so why would it here?
They are acting on Speculation, I think the only main ones at danger are the poor birds, Unless the goverments know more than they are letting on and it is something that has been leaked maybe?

It just seems way over exagarated I cant get my head around how it hasnt mutated before now, They have normal flu in Asia so if it was to mutate I think it would have by now...
Old 10-24-2005, 11:48 AM
SilentTrigger is offline SilentTrigger
-1PARA-

And those 70 people who have died of it. It can still mutate even if it hasn't sice 1997.

My photography website

Old 10-25-2005, 04:05 AM
Lakie is offline Lakie

i agree will sal, sure it may be a threat (as is anything else) but i personally believe its being blown up by politicans...
Old 10-25-2005, 08:32 AM
BADDOG is offline BADDOG
resigned

I think there may be an element of truth in what Sal and Mike say.

Warm Regards
Old 10-25-2005, 02:31 PM
-1PARA-

Go back a bit and take a look at "Spanska Sjukan", sorry dont know what its called in engish, well it was a virus that was persent in birds, it took quite a while but it did mutate all on its own to a Pandemi, wiping out between 30 and 40 milion people, and the srouce and the reason for the decise have been traised and this strain is present in H5H1 which is quite alarming. It has so many simularites with that decise that its scary. It is likley to become mutated and transform into a pandemi epedemic virus killing millions. In my opinion I do not see a political gain in storing medecin for millions of dollars that could have been used to something else.

My photography website

Old 10-25-2005, 05:53 PM
Sal UK is offline Sal UK

Send a message via ICQ to Sal UK
Quote:
Originally posted by SilentTrigger*MFA*
Go back a bit and take a look at "Spanska Sjukan", sorry dont know what its called in engish, well it was a virus that was persent in birds, it took quite a while but it did mutate all on its own to a Pandemi, wiping out between 30 and 40 milion people, and the srouce and the reason for the decise have been traised and this strain is present in H5H1 which is quite alarming. It has so many simularites with that decise that its scary. It is likley to become mutated and transform into a pandemi epedemic virus killing millions. In my opinion I do not see a political gain in storing medecin for millions of dollars that could have been used to something else.
That maybe so m8, But Why is it only just getting here now? Birds Migrate every year with the seasons, Now Bird Flu has been around for years. Why is it only just getting here?

And as for Medicine there is no real medicine for the Killer Strain H5H1 before they can make that they need the mutated strain thet can be past from human to human.

I think there is something not right with the way it has come about Now, It should have really spread years ago when bird flu was first detected, Birds didnt stop migrating so why now.
Old 10-26-2005, 05:44 AM
-1PARA-

"And as for Medicine there is no real medicine for the Killer Strain H5H1 before they can make that they need the mutated strain thet can be past from human to human."

Yes I am aware of that, but there are two types out there that are the most likely medecine present now that will have some kind of impact on that virus, this is the medecine that maybe countries buy in large doses.

Also the same thing is thought to have been the case for the virus that killed 30 - 40 milion people, it did not spread quickly in the beginning but ware later spreading rapadly and mutated.

My photography website

Old 10-26-2005, 06:25 AM
-live-wire- is offline -live-wire-

I just got over the bird flu! I feel like hammered dog-jam....

We're all in a giant car heading towards a brick wall at 100 m.p.h. and everybody is arguing about where they want to sit.
Old 10-26-2005, 06:42 AM
-1PARA-

Quote:
Originally posted by -live-wire-
I just got over the bird flu! I feel like hammered dog-jam....
Ah well wait till you get H5H1

My photography website

Old 10-26-2005, 06:51 AM
Lakie is offline Lakie

there are at the moment two antiviral drugs tamiflu and relenza that do something or other and will apparently help, although its not specifically for bird flu, its a general viral drug...

Although Tamiflu has been prescribed as much as paracetemol in some countries (ok a slight exagguaration) and alot of viruses are resistant to tamiflu, do it wont be as effective if it crosses with one of those...

Dont worry, if were all forced to stay isolated physically, theres always the forums
Old 10-26-2005, 09:42 AM
Terry is offline Terry

all over my local papers today, vaccinations are being given to all those around the area in which this parrot was kept in essex. they still wont tel us what part of essex it was tho, i wanna know lol coz for all i know it could be just round the corner from me :S

-----
GIFTS - X
Old 10-26-2005, 04:16 PM
-1PARA-

Quote:
Originally posted by BB/Mike*MFA*
there are at the moment two antiviral drugs tamiflu and relenza that do something or other and will apparently help, although its not specifically for bird flu, its a general viral drug...

Although Tamiflu has been prescribed as much as paracetemol in some countries (ok a slight exagguaration) and alot of viruses are resistant to tamiflu, do it wont be as effective if it crosses with one of those...

Dont worry, if were all forced to stay isolated physically, theres always the forums
Haha indeed! Unless the forum gets the "virus"

My photography website

Old 10-26-2005, 04:30 PM
-Tigger- is offline -Tigger-
BB

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0...453878,00.html

suspected case of human bird flu, picked up by tourists who came from thailand
Old 10-27-2005, 06:27 AM
BADDOG is offline BADDOG
resigned

eek

Quote: