Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Off-Topic > General Chat

General Chat Talk about anything that does not fit into other topics here.

Old 03-30-2014, 05:53 AM
--BulletMagnet-- is offline --BulletMagnet--
DF2 Forever

Send a message via MSN to --BulletMagnet--
PassShed v3.0 Alpha

Howdy,

A few of you folks were kind enough to test out my small account management application a few months back. I re-coded the entire thing from scratch and am releasing an alpha build to get some feedback.

LINK

*Note: I didn't create an installer for test versions. Simply extract all of the files somewhere and run the program (all files need to remain in the same folder). It won't mess up existing PassShed installations unless you replace PassShed.exe in C:\PassShed with the new version.

New Features:
You can now have custom fields for each category. As I was using PassShed, I noticed that storing bank account numbers and CD keys under 'Username' and 'Password' didn't settle well with me. This feature was my primary motivation for re-coding PassShed.

Also, you can now type your credentials directly into the Shed. I found the input fields redundant since the Shed's cells can function like text boxes.

Other Notes:
As I said, this is very much an alpha build. I've added most of the core functionality and am looking for feedback on bugs and your overall experience. The database file itself is now encrypted for an extra layer of security, but I haven't implemented my own encryption or a master password yet.

I'm not able to find any bugs right now, but I've noticed that the new version has taken a performance hit. This is evident when trying to rapidly add several new accounts.
Old 03-30-2014, 05:55 AM
DF2 Forever

Alongside bug reports (try to keep track of what you were doing if you report one), I'd also like to hear suggestions for new/enhanced features.

Future plans include implementing security layers, .CSV import, and URL launching.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:21 PM
Scott is offline Scott
AKA. Panther

I'll try and remember to have a look while i'm at work tomorrow.

04' Dodge SRT-4, Mopar Stage 3, 406whp/436wtq
Old 04-02-2014, 12:44 PM
Guest001 is offline Guest001

Can't download it...
Old 04-02-2014, 02:34 PM
Scott is offline Scott
AKA. Panther

The biggest thing is making it clear what you're supposed to do first. If you try to add an account, maybe the message on the bottom should be "You need to add a category/fields" first. Or even grey out the button until a category / fields are created.

Maybe also a common template for common things like banks or websites.

Old 04-02-2014, 04:14 PM
DF2 Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
The biggest thing is making it clear what you're supposed to do first. If you try to add an account, maybe the message on the bottom should be "You need to add a category/fields" first. Or even grey out the button until a category / fields are created.

Maybe also a common template for common things like banks or websites.
Excellent suggestions. Greying out controls will probably be my next step. I'll work on adding the ability to insert new templates.

Do you think the name 'Fields' is appropriate? I debated between 'Columns' and 'Fields' and ultimately thought fields fit the description better. The new version includes a help file that defines categories, fields, accounts, etc.

Also, do you mind sharing what OS and .NET Framework version you ran the app on? I targeted it for .NET Framework 3.5 since that comes pre-installed on Windows 7 machines and is supported on XP. It seems that 3.5 is "included" in Windows 8/8.1, but it's not activated by default, and you have to download it through the control panel. Weird.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:20 PM
Scott is offline Scott
AKA. Panther

I tried both Windows 7 x64 and Windows XP in a virtual machine.

I think Fields is more appropriate.

Old 04-13-2014, 02:19 PM
DF2 Forever

What are your thoughts on self-updating applications?

Given that this is a small project developed by one person, bug fixes and new features will be released very frequently. I'm thinking about utilizing an auto-updating system that checks to see whether a new version has been released and gives you the option to update.
Old 04-14-2014, 03:27 PM
Scott is offline Scott
AKA. Panther

As long as the user was given an option I like the idea. I use it, but only for select software.