Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Off-Topic > General Chat

General Chat Talk about anything that does not fit into other topics here.

Old 07-02-2005, 09:24 AM
Sal UK is offline Sal UK

Send a message via ICQ to Sal UK
Live 8

Has or is anyone going to this event going on around the world?
Old 07-02-2005, 09:43 AM
Sal UK is offline Sal UK

Or you can watch Live Online.

US - http://www.aolmusic.com/

UK - http://www.aol.co.uk/

Fr - http://www.aol.fr/

Ger - http://www.aol.de/
Old 07-02-2005, 09:50 AM
Trojan is offline Trojan
honest toil

Send a message via ICQ to Trojan Send a message via AIM to Trojan Send a message via Yahoo to Trojan
Stages set for Live 8, the 'greatest concert ever'

A worker cleans the stage for the upcoming Live 8 concert inside Rome's ancient Circus Maximus,.

By Mike Collett-White

LONDON (Reuters) - Final preparations were under way on Friday for what organizers promised would be the greatest music show on Earth, with pop stars leaving their egos backstage to raise awareness of poverty in Africa.

Irish rocker and organizer Bob Geldof believes Saturday's Live 8 event will eclipse Live Aid 20 years ago, when 1.5 billion people tuned in to see the likes of U2, David Bowie and Mick Jagger perform to raise money for Ethiopia's famine.

This time it is about people power, with organizers hoping that huge crowds at the venues and a television and Internet audience in the billions will put pressure on world leaders meeting next week in Scotland to do more to fight poverty.

"I tell you something ... You will never see it again. It will be the greatest concert ever," Geldof told an audience of young people on the MTV channel.

In an open letter from Live 8 appearing in The Times newspaper on Saturday, organizers made a final plea to governments to meet their demands to end poverty.

"Just as people demanded an end to slavery, demanded women's suffrage, demanded the end of apartheid - we now call for an end to the unjust absurdity of extreme poverty that is killing 50,000 people every day in the 21st Century," it said.

Concerts will be held in all the Group of Eight industrialized nations, plus one in Johannesburg and another featuring African acts in southwest England.

Tokyo will open proceedings in the east and the event winds up in North America.

OUTCOME UNCERTAIN

The initiative, costing an estimated 25 million pounds ($45 million) to stage, has been widely praised by aid groups, and Geldof can point to a recent $40 billion debt forgiveness deal and U.S. pledges to double aid to Africa as signs of progress.

"We're on the way," he said. "It's incredible to think after 20 years we're almost there."

The Live 8 concerts are linked to the Make Poverty History campaign, which hopes up to 100,000 people will march through Edinburgh on Saturday.

"There is suddenly a real chance -- the sort that comes but once in a generation -- for Africa to reverse its three decades of stagnation," said Cardinal Cormac Murphy-O'Connor, the head of the Catholic Church in England and Wales.

Not everyone is sure Live 8 will directly affect the outcome of the G8 meeting near Edinburgh on July 6-8.

There are also question marks over how smoothly Live 8 will run. Organizers say they have had eight weeks to plan a show on a par with the Olympic Games in terms of the complexity of the technology and size of the potential audience.

Promoters in Johannesburg have done little to publicise the gig, and few music fans interviewed in South Africa's commercial hub were even aware it was happening.

Some of those who plan to attend the Johannesburg concert, which will feature mostly local acts and few big names, were skeptical about whether it would change their lives.

"I've got hope the concert tomorrow will bring nice things to Africa but they keep promising things and they don't happen," said Bafana Konyama, who sells fake designer trainers from his street stall in the city center.

London, at least, is set to be a sell-out.

More than 200,000 people are expected in Hyde Park to hear the all-star cast including Elton John, Madonna, and a re-formed Pink Floyd. Paul McCartney and U2 are due to open proceedings with a rendition of "Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band."

(Additional reporting by Andrew Gray in London, Jeremy Lovell in Edinburgh and Rebecca Harrison in Johannesburg)

PLANNED LIVE 8 PLAYLIST
HYDE PARK LONDON

2pm GMT Start

Paul McCartney/U2
Sgt Peppers lonley hearts band

U2
One

Bono Introduces Coldplay

Coldplay
In My Place
Fix You
Bitter Sweet Sym, With Richard Ashcroft

Little Britain introduce Elton John
Elton John
Sat Nights Alright for fighting
Butch Is Back
Children Of The Revolution, With Pete Doherty

Dido
Life For Rent
White Flag
Thank You

Sterophonics
TBA

REM
The One I Love
Losing My Religion
Imitaion Of Life
Everybody Hurts

Ms Dynamite
Dy-na-mi-tee
Judgment Day
Redempiton Song

Keane
Everybodys Changing
Somewhere only we know

Travis
Sing
Turn
Why does it always rain on me

Annie Lennox
Walking on broken glass
Sisters are doing it for themselfs
Sweet dreams

UB40
Medley

Snoop Dogg
TBA

Razorlight
Somehwree else
Golden touch
Vice

Madonna
Like A Prayer
Music
Ray of light

Snow Patrol
Chocolate
Run

Joss Stone
I had a dream
super duper love

Scissor Sisters
Laura
Take your mamma

Velvet Revolver
TBA

The Killers
TBA

Sting
Message in a bottel
Dersert Rose
Every Breath You Take
Mariah Carey
Vision on love
Make it happen

Robbie Williams
Let me entertain you
Rock DJ
feel

The Who
Won't get fooled again
Baba O'Riley

Pink Floyd
Money
Comfortly Numb
Wish you were here

Paul McCartney
the Long and winding road

Finale App: 20:45 GMT

Do they know is it christmas

All artists who can stay till end, and also some other surprise guests

Developing...

••• 26th MEUSOC 940311 93-95MySpace •••
Old 07-02-2005, 11:43 AM
BADDOG is offline BADDOG
resigned

Sad

I just wonder if these concerts will make any difference to the problems that Africa has?

It seems to me that live aid was supposed to change things on that sad continent but here we are 20 years later and the corrupt politicians in Africa are still in power and war blights the lives of millions.

It may be well intentioned but until there are major reforms in Africa as a whole I fear this will achieve little or nothing.

Regards
Old 07-02-2005, 11:49 AM
Sal UK is offline Sal UK

Quote:
Originally posted by BADDOG
I just wonder if these concerts will make any difference to the problems that Africa has?

It seems to me that live aid was supposed to change things on that sad continent but here we are 20 years later and the corrupt politicians in Africa are still in power and war blights the lives of millions.

It may be well intentioned but until there are major reforms in Africa as a whole I fear this will achieve little or nothing.

Regards
But this time its not for Money,well not ours, All they want is for as many people to sign the list that will be presented to the G8 Leaders so with any petition the more names the better the outcome.
Old 07-02-2005, 12:07 PM
BADDOG is offline BADDOG
resigned

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by Sal UK
But this time its not for Money,well not ours, All they want is for as many people to sign the list that will be presented to the G8 Leaders so with any petition the more names the better the outcome.
I sincerely hope this will make a difference but I have grave doubts that it will actually change anything at all.

Zimbabwe is just one example of an African country that was quite wealthy but thanks to a despotic leader is rapidly becoming a basket case and I fear will be the next African country to be torn apart by yet another bloody civil war....again I hope this makes a real difference but I fear the worst.

Regards
Old 07-02-2005, 12:29 PM
-live-wire- is offline -live-wire-

I hope it helps them..they need it..thanks Toj for the stats and the report. I used to love watching Mutual of Omaha and National Geographic episodes , Africa is amazing..funny how those shows didn't reflect the situation that continent is in. Aids,starvation,war..I thought it was just a big old zoo with spear-chunking natives living off the land when I was a kid..now..seeing it through adult eyes and mind..I just have to sigh...No child should ever starve to death...or be born with AIDS...On the flip side of this: I want to smack the lil spoiled brats I see doing the "flail" in Wal-Mart because they didn't get what they wanted..or see a kid refuse to eat something off of thier plate...makes you want to shove a picture of a starving child with no gameboy in thier faces...

We're all in a giant car heading towards a brick wall at 100 m.p.h. and everybody is arguing about where they want to sit.
Old 07-02-2005, 01:46 PM
.Simon. is offline .Simon.

Live 8!!!

Im watching now and its a great turnout. millions of people are already on the list the is to be presented to the G8 leaders...

Please add yours!

CLICK ON MY SIG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
next person to post half naked gets banned
Old 07-02-2005, 01:51 PM
Sal UK is offline Sal UK

Well it cant make it worse I suppose, So if it makes a small difference its a start.
Old 07-02-2005, 02:32 PM
Stu is offline Stu
Resident Member

I'm watching it at the moment, I text in for my tickets but didnt win any, damn lol.
Its prettey cool that its started again (from live aid),bob gildof = god.
Old 07-02-2005, 02:36 PM
Sal UK is offline Sal UK

Quote:
Originally posted by Tecoma2
I'm watching it at the moment, I text in for my tickets but didnt win any, damn lol.
Its prettey cool that its started again (from live aid),bob gildof = god.

Im watching the philly Stream on the web and I got london on my TV.
Old 07-02-2005, 02:41 PM
Trojan is offline Trojan
honest toil

Send a message via ICQ to Trojan Send a message via AIM to Trojan Send a message via Yahoo to Trojan
MTV and VH1 are covering it here Stateside.

Old 07-02-2005, 02:48 PM
Sal UK is offline Sal UK

Quote:
Originally posted by Trojan
MTV and VH1 are covering it here Stateside.
Yes MTV and VH1 are doing the same here but mainly UK and sometimes get recordings of philly, So Im watching on BBC and live stream...lol it just means switching the volume up on and off when I like one more than the other..lol
Old 07-02-2005, 05:20 PM
Trojan is offline Trojan
honest toil

OMFG, Pink Floyd was SO F'N AWESOME!!!!! I'm in tears dude!

Old 07-02-2005, 05:28 PM
Sal UK is offline Sal UK

Yes Pink Floyd are Great it dont seem like 24 years since they split....

Im getting OLD....
Old 07-02-2005, 05:48 PM
Trojan is offline Trojan
honest toil

To see Waters up there, was a joy.

Old 07-02-2005, 06:06 PM
Jeff is offline Jeff

Send a message via AIM to Jeff
Hope these concerts / demonstrations help the situation.
Old 07-02-2005, 06:08 PM
Trojan is offline Trojan
honest toil

Join Trojan's Militia, heh. We fight against STD's & AIDS

Old 07-02-2005, 06:11 PM
NaughtyPerry is offline NaughtyPerry
Banned

i watchin it all now, awesome Black eyed Peas are on
Old 07-02-2005, 06:15 PM
Trojan is offline Trojan
honest toil

Snoop on the mic now!