Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Games > Delta Force

Delta Force Anything to do with the Delta Force series of games, DF1, DF2, LW, TFD, BHD, DFX, AF etc.

Old 02-17-2019, 11:19 AM
4rc28 is offline 4rc28

Another Map Thief

MAJWIZ just uploaded one of MY maps that I made YEARS ago, as his own...

In a site like this, this should be a final ban!!!

I am so sick of this. This was one of the reason I stopped making maps. To see talentless "gamers" just stole my work and upload them as their own. To the same site even...

He even used the same screenshot that I did...
He only changed the name from "Ice Breaker" to Artic Circle! And messed up most of the triggers when he tried to change some of the objectives.

My map(Added 09/30/2009):
https://novahq.net/maps.php?Category...ry=ice+breaker

"His" upload (02/03/2019):
https://novahq.net/maps.php?Category...y=ARTIC+CIRCLE

I even have a video about the map on my youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUSgx1l-4Ds&t=23s

This video is from 01/jan/2018

Now I guess we need to check through all of "his" work. There might be more like this...

Last edited by 4rc28; 02-18-2019 at 04:35 AM.
Old 02-17-2019, 09:40 PM
Scott is offline Scott
AKA. Panther

He said somewhere he was going to upload some maps he had modified for his beginner squad but possibly didn't change the author / give proper credit when uploading?

MAJWIZ?

04' Dodge SRT-4, Mopar Stage 3, 406whp/436wtq
Old 02-18-2019, 04:35 AM
4rc28 is offline 4rc28

Scott,

Please remove it.
This is not the way to do it. No asking, No mention the original creator, Changing the map title, Removing my name as a creator and put his in the map file, ect…

Anyway, changing basically only the name of the map, creator name, and the objectives name is hardly even “modifying”. Almost the same as the others, who only changed the creator and map name, and then upload and CLAIMING its their creation…

Thanks!
Old 02-18-2019, 10:13 AM
Guest001 is offline Guest001

Hi 4rc28, things can get annoying when your map is "stolen" but under certain circumstances there are inocent reasons for some transgressions.

Besides being a possible compliment - as I understand it in the world of mapping and modding, if the MIS file (or project file) is included with the download then PPL may feel they have an inherent right to use it as a basis for a map.

This is generally acceptable as long as they change it sufficiently to make it a different experience, this is also how PPL get feedback and learn to make their own.

Giving credit is usually done if stipulated in the download though you rarely see that.

This implies it's polite to ask but not compulsory. So the problem remains as one of tolerance.

Last edited by Guest001; 02-18-2019 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Glitch
Old 02-18-2019, 01:03 PM
4rc28 is offline 4rc28

Hi Stompem

Using existing maps to learn stuff, by slowly modify it, ect., is totally different than just changing the map title and the creator name and upload it again as ,,his"...

When I was a beginner I also started learning from others maps. But I did much more than a name change... I changed the map entirely. Desert to Snow, Libians to Russians, the whole base layouts, the buildings, the decorations, the number of enemies, the environment, the sky, added more events, ect. ect. ect. In this case, in the end it was nothing like the original at all. It seemed and acted like a different map. (still didn't bother to upload it, but thats just me) See, In this case I would say its OK.

But this was far from that...
Old 02-18-2019, 06:14 PM
Guest001 is offline Guest001

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4rc28 View Post
Hi Stompem

Using existing maps to learn stuff, by slowly modify it, ect., is totally different than just changing the map title and the creator name and upload it again as ,,his"...

When I was a beginner I also started learning from others maps. But I did much more than a name change... I changed the map entirely. Desert to Snow, Libians to Russians, the whole base layouts, the buildings, the decorations, the number of enemies, the environment, the sky, added more events, ect. ect. ect. In this case, in the end it was nothing like the original at all. It seemed and acted like a different map. (still didn't bother to upload it, but thats just me) See, In this case I would say its OK.

But this was far from that...
That may be so my friend but perhaps I could mollify the situation a little by asking you to consider the following, you may find there's a small up-side to all of this after all.

There are various other extremes to taking license with a map design, like naming maps similarly or lifting sections from a map but remember it's the name of the mapper next to it that takes the final credit in the end.

Also on the the other side of the coin, map names can be duplicated validly as in "Operation Irene by Dingo" or "Drongo" or "The Mad Map Master" etc... and most likely they'd all be different interpretations and you see this as where your issue lies.

I think the clear interpretation of eula regulations and/or common law in this regard is murky at best, so we generally rely on an unwritten etiquette.

Yet, the definition of community acceptance is not easy to quantify.

On the down side for mappers in all of this and without casting any aspersions, in the long run, if a map gets mucked up, it's all the fault of the final author who has taken the credit alone and so, it will probably reflect upon them accordingly.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:25 PM
Baldo_the_Don is online now Baldo_the_Don

I've BMS2MISsed a lot of maps. I've always been tediously careful to preserve the author's credits, no matter how crap or brilliant the original is, and I've never claimed another's work as my own.

That's my personal stand on the ethics of map editing.

But I've accepted that some people are fine with taking what they want when they find it. I'm pretty sure I've seen my sight targas in videos of other people's mods. I've given permission to at least one guy to do so. You can't really stop them, so it's healthier for your state of mind to accept that NeverLogic's EULA has already claimed legal ownership of everything produced by anybody with the MEd.

We live in an age of gaming where Bobby Kotick can brag about EA making record bank, then fire 800 people to cut costs and appease investors. An army of game makers thrown to the sharks while the CEOs make millions in bonuses. It's insane.

Kids... if you want to have fun and be creative and make some maps, know that if your stuff is good, someone will try to steal it. Hell, if your stuff is just okay, probably even more will try to steal it, 'cause great maps get famous and players take note of the authors, but mediocre maps that no one will miss will pad your stats nicely, I'd guess.

But if you're in it for fortune and glory, then know there is none to be had, and if you're looking to not be stolen from, best not share your work.

I don't know, man. I live in a world where Lemmy died; Brexit can be stopped, but it won't be; and my cat's eighteen years old and fading. I cannot believe Trump is president, during the day, before lunch and the coffee is working, but then the sun goes down and I think of the Mandela effect and three-leaf clovers and how I never drank, smoked, or did drugs, but I ended up in chemotherapy in 1999 anyway, and I realize, well, how could Trump NOT be president in this reality?

When I heard Bowie died, I swear, my first thought was, "What? He can't be dead, he's David Bowie."

By which all of the above proves I'm in no fit mind to judge any of this $#i7. Sorry I wasted your time.

Last edited by Baldo_the_Don; 02-18-2019 at 08:29 PM. Reason: It's all too real, you know?
Old 02-19-2019, 03:56 PM
MAJWIZ is offline MAJWIZ

4rc28: This map was given to me by one of the guy's I wrote maps for in Germany he said it was his OWN map. I don't believe in Stealing other peoples maps. If I wish to redo/mod a map I give credit to the org. mapper first then to me IE: BIGBOB/MAJWIZ. Also when I opened this map with the editor there was NO area triggers shown on the map, but the event showed them.

Scott please remove the map Artic Circle thanks majwiz
Old 02-20-2019, 02:11 AM
4rc28 is offline 4rc28

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAJWIZ View Post
4rc28: This map was given to me by one of the guy's I wrote maps for in Germany he said it was his OWN map. I don't believe in Stealing other peoples maps. If I wish to redo/mod a map I give credit to the org. mapper first then to me IE: BIGBOB/MAJWIZ. Also when I opened this map with the editor there was NO area triggers shown on the map, but the event showed them.

Scott please remove the map Artic Circle thanks majwiz
Well, ok if that is true, I take back parts of my first reaction. You were just a victim of a ****ing liar. But as a mapper I hope you understand me. You spend Hours/days/weeks making something, and then you see others claiming its their creation... (there were another incident when I confronted the guy, he just kept claiming its his... Is that really makes them happy? Knowing that they didn't do ****, but act like they did. wow.
Old 02-20-2019, 02:48 PM
MAJWIZ is offline MAJWIZ

4rc28: I was on a DFX2 site and there was about 15 maps that I wrote. This was the first time I was ever on the site, so how could I upload them to this site?
I asked the site moderator to remove them, his answer was " are you going to cry?"
all of my maps was uploaded by the site owner.