Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Off-Topic > General Chat
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General Chat Talk about anything that does not fit into other topics here.

Old 11-10-2011, 06:58 PM
Guest001 is offline Guest001

AUS to get same "cams" as US troops.

AFTER nine years of pleading for effective camouflage clothing, Australian soldiers in Afghanistan soon will go into battle wearing the same "cams" as American troops. The Gillard Government today will announce a trial of the US-made MultiCam camouflage clothing will be extended to all Diggers going "outside the wire" during the next 12 months.
Old 11-11-2011, 10:53 AM
SilentTrigger is offline SilentTrigger
-1PARA-

About time! Same issue with the Swedish army in Afghan, they used the swedish wood camo, which didn't work well, took a long time untill they developed a desert camo for the afghan deployment. So pretty suprising that the AUS has not got it untill now, they been for a while in Afghan right?

My photography website

Old 11-11-2011, 04:10 PM
MERMITE is offline MERMITE

Why bother...? when the badguys can get thermal imaging googles/cameras for less than $us15.00 each, made in china, powered by 3 aa batteries, with an effective range of 2-300m

I'd be more interested in keeping COOL!
Old 11-11-2011, 07:30 PM
skinny killer is offline skinny killer
HappyGoLucky

Send a message via Yahoo to skinny killer
Quote:
Originally Posted by MERMITE View Post
Why bother...? when the badguys can get thermal imaging googles/cameras for less than $us15.00 each, made in china, powered by 3 aa batteries, with an effective range of 2-300m

I'd be more interested in keeping COOL!
Camo just looks cooler Mermite. Haha, gotta keep things in style ya know?
Old 11-11-2011, 08:09 PM

History has shown that it helps if the combatants on your side have uniforms that look the same...ish.
Old 11-12-2011, 11:20 AM

Camouflage is a method of crypsis (hiding). It allows an otherwise visible organism or object to remain unnoticed, by blending with its environment. Examples include a tiger's stripes, the battledress of a modern soldier and a butterfly camouflaging itself as a leaf. The theory of camouflage covers the various strategies which are used to achieve this effect...wiki

As armies consider themselves traditional, then armies should be uniformal, traditional about their clothing ...thats blue for u.s. and red for colonies of her majesty ..er white? for swedes
If everyone is in camouflage ..you aint camouflaging nuth'in
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3rd_Marines_-_Afghanistan.jpg (82.4 KB, 6 views)
Old 11-12-2011, 05:24 PM
SilentTrigger is offline SilentTrigger
-1PARA-

Not to bother is a far fetch stretch, saying that anyone can get thermal goggles for 20 bucks, sure they might work but not very well in a summerday with a lot of ambiant thermal sources against a human. Secondly, most fighters in afghanistan are pesants that get a buck or simular to fight for the talibans, there's no way they can buy these things, they are given a gun and ammo and thats it, they barley have cloths. Secondly, how many do you think can go into a wallmart and buy thermal "goggles" out in the remote mountains/deserts?

Many don't even know that shooting a AK47 at very long distances there's something called gravity and wind making it near impossible to hit their target but they still keep at it because they can't see that they are not hitting anything. At far distance the camo makes a huge difference

My photography website

Old 11-14-2011, 11:33 AM
Stephen is offline Stephen
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Stephen Send a message via AIM to Stephen Send a message via Yahoo to Stephen
Quote:
Originally Posted by MERMITE View Post
Camouflage is a method of crypsis (hiding). It allows an otherwise visible organism or object to remain unnoticed, by blending with its environment. Examples include a tiger's stripes, the battledress of a modern soldier and a butterfly camouflaging itself as a leaf. The theory of camouflage covers the various strategies which are used to achieve this effect...wiki

As armies consider themselves traditional, then armies should be uniformal, traditional about their clothing ...thats blue for u.s. and red for colonies of her majesty ..er white? for swedes
If everyone is in camouflage ..you aint camouflaging nuth'in
It has way more to do with than that. Everyone having the same camo also keeps the enemy from telling the difference from officer or anyone else on the battle field. Camo works wonders in Afgan right now and 90% of Taliban don't have thermals or night vision, but hey if you wanna wear a different uniform because you think you know something from sitting at home reading books and watching the news your more than welcome to strut around in something else.

I usually keep my opinions to myself on most issues on this forum but I can't stand it when people post stuff about the war from their couch or something they "read" online. Multi Camo works great and has saved my life many a time as well as hundreds of soldiers in Afghanistan. Ill give you a little helpful information: MOST "well informed" posters online that talk about "combat" have never seen or been anywhere close to combat. With all these high end FPS people think they know what goes on over there and how weapons work. Just please Know what your talking about before you rant on something your completely wrong on.

"If the whole universe has no meaning, we should never have found out that it has no meaning: just as, if there were no light in the universe and therefore no creatures with eyes, we should never know it was dark. Dark would be without meaning."
-- C.S. Lewis
Old 11-14-2011, 02:52 PM
dave61 is offline dave61
I.C.U.

Send a message via Yahoo to dave61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
It has way more to do with than that. Everyone having the same camo also keeps the enemy from telling the difference from officer or anyone else on the battle field. Camo works wonders in Afgan right now and 90% of Taliban don't have thermals or night vision, but hey if you wanna wear a different uniform because you think you know something from sitting at home reading books and watching the news your more than welcome to strut around in something else.

I usually keep my opinions to myself on most issues on this forum but I can't stand it when people post stuff about the war from their couch or something they "read" online. Multi Camo works great and has saved my life many a time as well as hundreds of soldiers in Afghanistan. Ill give you a little helpful information: MOST "well informed" posters online that talk about "combat" have never seen or been anywhere close to combat. With all these high end FPS people think they know what goes on over there and how weapons work. Just please Know what your talking about before you rant on something your completely wrong on.
Amen
Old 11-14-2011, 07:06 PM

Quote:
people post stuff about the war from their couch or something they "read" online.
What about cut lunch commandos (Australian Reserve Forces)?
I served for 10th RSAR in the late 70's (joined at 17) just missing active involvement in hostilities. Me and my mates never fired an angry shot. (We were damned ready!) Do we rate?

Last edited by Guest001; 11-14-2011 at 07:21 PM.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post

I quite agree with you, considering your position here at NovaHQ, it is beholding of administrators to keep their opinions to themselves, and not be provoked by the membership or their postings, unfortunately this has become you.
The original post of 'Stomp' informing the membership the Australians will soon be mistaking for Americans in the war against the Taliban, will only result in more Australians dying in a cause that we in Australia no longer believe is winable, or even as a viable military incursion.
As for my own military background, I don't believe a gaming forum is the place to discuss, such matters.

Thank You
"M"
Old 11-15-2011, 06:37 AM
Swifty Helen is offline Swifty Helen

M, Are you suggesting that if the Australian Soldiers wear the same camouflage as the American Soldiers more Australians will die? Wouldn't the "Enemy" just shoot to kill as many soldiers as they can, be it Australian or American?
Old 11-15-2011, 03:27 PM
dave61 is offline dave61
I.C.U.

Good point Helen ... the Taliban don't really care what you wear. If you ain't from their tribe you're fair game. If camo works then why not at least use every advantage.

Last edited by dave61; 11-15-2011 at 06:51 PM.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:54 PM
dave61 is offline dave61
I.C.U.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stompem View Post
What about cut lunch commandos (Australian Reserve Forces)?
I served for 10th RSAR in the late 70's (joined at 17) just missing active involvement in hostilities. Me and my mates never fired an angry shot. (We were damned ready!) Do we rate?
Stomp,

Of course you count ! Just like all the guys who serve in our National Guard count also.

Thanks for your sevice!
Old 11-15-2011, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave61 View Post
Stomp,

Of course you count ! Just like all the guys who serve in our National Guard count also.

Thanks for your sevice!
With tears in my eyes I thank you Dave...
We really meant what we were doing back then, it was real and it was meaningful.
We probably all know, or know of someone, friend or family, who were not so lucky as we who talk about it now.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:36 PM
dave61 is offline dave61
I.C.U.

My nephew served in Iraq with the National Guard (standing second from right).

We now have him back home, and are very proud of him and his buddies.

Regular or Reserve , we're proud of all who serve!
Old 12-08-2011, 12:35 PM
Lt shooterboy1 is offline Lt shooterboy1
Reguards

Hmmmm, this may be a good thing and, I guess it might help reduce friendly fire a bit. But I will leave it up to the experts
Old 12-08-2011, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave61 View Post
My nephew served in Iraq with the National Guard (standing second from right).

We now have him back home, and are very proud of him and his buddies.

Regular or Reserve , we're proud of all who serve!
Tough looking bunch!
Old 12-08-2011, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt shooterboy1 View Post
Hmmmm, this may be a good thing and, I guess it might help reduce friendly fire a bit. But I will leave it up to the experts
Camo is hard for anyone to spot. The training is to know where everyone is, or is going to be and be where you are supposed to be (part of situation awareness).
Coms are now more than ever and increasingly critical to avoid FF
Old 12-10-2011, 07:21 AM
Lt shooterboy1 is offline Lt shooterboy1
Reguards

Ah, fair enough.