Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Off-Topic > General Chat

General Chat Talk about anything that does not fit into other topics here.

View Poll Results: God or No god?
yes 44 63.77%
no 21 30.43%
I don't know I stupid because I don't have an opinion 4 5.80%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-01-2003, 11:48 PM
Alcide is offline Alcide

Send a message via ICQ to Alcide Send a message via AIM to Alcide Send a message via Yahoo to Alcide
I think the reason is why younger folks are less religious is because most of the older folks are.. "set in their ways" they were born in a religious community so therefore they live a religious life. Today at my school, noone cares about the pledge or "moment of silence" people just keep talking and such. Also the big bang theory, is a theory, meaning its not proved. So that means that there could be another reason.

Religion in my opinion, is a metaphore for hope. Hoping that when we die that there is somthing good coming, but in the end we are hoping, we do not what is there.

psst yall might want to check this website out, im reading it now.
http://www.doesgodexist.org/AboutClayton/PastLife.html
Old 10-02-2003, 04:53 PM
Doughboy is offline Doughboy

Send a message via ICQ to Doughboy
I have not read this entire thread, 7 pages is too much for me...

Well... I really dont believe in god... but Im unsure...

Where is the proof that there is a god? Dont tell me to read the bible or go to church... what will that prove? I'm more of a see it to believe it, scientific backed proof type person. There is absoluty no physical evidence that there is a god. So what, you read the bible and it will tell you that there is a god, so it must be true right?

So god created the Earth in 7 days right? well if there was no sun and such until the 4th day (or something), how could you possibly call a day a day? how long was 1 day when "God" created the Earth? Wasnt this supposed to have happened 4 thousand years ago? or something like that... well why do we find rocks that date back to earths creation, some 4.5 billion years ago (oldest rocks are 3.5 billion years ago, earth was too hot to have rocks when It was first created.) There was lots and lots of life on earth before us, but wait, god created us and the earth at the same time right.

Give me some proof that there is a god? The world is full of hate, poverty and voilence... where the hell is this god right now?

We evolved just like everything else on the earth. We created god to give us a sense of hope, that something greater then ourselfs will always be there for us... etc.

So basicly, we created god. God did not create us.
Old 10-02-2003, 07:44 PM
Sal UK is offline Sal UK

Send a message via ICQ to Sal UK
Think of it this way not even the scientists can answer this very old question.

What came first the chicken or the egg?

What came first the Baby or the adult?

God is there Mark my words.

Both qustions are Impossible to answer, If you dont believe me ask a scientist.lol
Old 10-02-2003, 09:42 PM
Doughboy is offline Doughboy

Send a message via ICQ to Doughboy
How do you know he is there? You believe... thats just not enough to make me believe. Gimme some physical evidence, then ill believe
Old 10-02-2003, 11:00 PM
blueprint is offline blueprint

Send a message via ICQ to blueprint Send a message via AIM to blueprint
Quote:
Originally posted by Sal UK
Think of it this way not even the scientists can answer this very old question.

What came first the chicken or the egg?

What came first the Baby or the adult?

God is there Mark my words.

Both qustions are Impossible to answer, If you dont believe me ask a scientist.lol
actually, I saw in an issue of Popular Science a guy had figured out that I think the Chicken had come first. Not sure, I'll try to find the article. So in other words, it's not impossible to answer
Old 10-02-2003, 11:10 PM
Sal UK is offline Sal UK

But if the chicken came first how did it hatch from an egg,Think about it.lol

For a chicken to come before an egg is impossible and without a chicken a chickens egg is also impossible.

But yet a chicken and all else is here, So They had to be created some how.

God is so clever.
Old 10-03-2003, 03:41 AM
Lakie is offline Lakie

probably the chicken, it evolved during its life hence there was a chicken before a chicken egg.
Old 10-03-2003, 04:40 AM
SilentTrigger is offline SilentTrigger
-1PARA-

I was just going to say that, it evolved from another prehistoric bird like creature...
The homosapies also evolve, they have done it since it evolved from the ape and still do...

My photography website

Old 10-03-2003, 04:42 PM
BADDOG is offline BADDOG
resigned

I still think it's impossible to say there is a god or not, like the chicken and the egg question, who made god or what made him?

Life seems to be so random and chaotic and yet nature has it's own agenda and goes through it's own daily process. I don't see any devine design to that.

Religion causes war, hate and is resposible for the death of millions maybe in the 21st century it's time we thought about abolishing it altogether?

Regards
Old 10-03-2003, 05:07 PM
Alcide is offline Alcide

Send a message via ICQ to Alcide Send a message via AIM to Alcide Send a message via Yahoo to Alcide
THANK YOU! finally someone agrees with me! thank you baddog! /me votes baddog for president
Old 10-03-2003, 07:08 PM
Rot is offline Rot

The chicken morphed over time from microorganisms along with the method of reproducing, until what we now have as the egg.
So, I say the chicken came first.
Old 10-03-2003, 08:10 PM
zza1pqx is offline zza1pqx

Send a message via ICQ to zza1pqx Send a message via Yahoo to zza1pqx
Chicken and egg thing.
Genomes are established during fertilisation and wont change (save for disease or degeneracy) from then on.
Evolution stems from changes created in the gametes as they are formed (egg and spermatzoa).
Something that was not quite a chicken would have laid the egg that a chicken hatched out from.

Egg came first.

I dont like these pseudo philosophical questions. Its a bit like the one, if a tree falls in the woods and no one is there to hear it does it make a sound?
Stupid question. Not philosophy but a question of lexicography.
Re-write the question and you will see what I mean.

How do you define the word sound?

Thats all that tree falling question is asking. You get debate because different people define 'sound' differently. I define sound as air waves. Therefore yes it does make a sound. Others define sound as something you hear and os in their case no the tree doesnt make a sound.

Chicken and egg question can be reordered as, do you believe in evolution?
If yes, then the egg came first. If you do not (and are therefore likley to be creationist in yourt belief) then given the story told in Genesis and in other creation myths and texts, its probably that the chicken was created first.

There is no philosophy here, simply the definition of what we think our beliefs maybe. Nothing wrong with that of coursem, but dont expect any resolution. You may as well ask which is the best colour, red or blue? Simply determined by tatse and nothing more.

Old 10-03-2003, 08:11 PM

Apologies for my crappt typing technique.

Old 10-03-2003, 08:18 PM

Personaly I am humanist. Whatever went to create the universe (and I favour scientific approach) there is a concious within us all. Spirituality exists because we feel it. Whether it be an emotion or something deeper is difficult to say for sure, but it exists. I believe we have perception beyond our 5 senses. You can 'feel' tension in a room for instance and it is this intermingling of concious thought and feeling that intrigues me.

I feel that there maybe a central concious made up of the shared emotional and cognitive aura that we all share (and need). Prayer and religion channals us toward that central conciousness. Some see it as a god like revelation, others a meditative peace. I think its real and the same for all people from all religions.

One true god? Maybe but I think we are one true race. Our god is ourselves and the effect each of us has on each other.

Old 10-03-2003, 10:16 PM
atholon is offline atholon
"ath-hole"

Send a message via MSN to atholon
There is soo much evidence of God existing, and honestly I am saddened bye the fact that you can't look at a sunset and marvel at how beutiful it is. There is no way that this could have just happened. Trillions of cells put together perfectly to make the human body could never come from a huge bang. How can you get anything out of nothing? The big bang theory is jacked, and I know there is a God and there is a Jesus and there is the HolyGhost.
Old 10-03-2003, 10:18 PM
"ath-hole"

Quote:
How about one that says "Stop Flaming or I will ban you?"
lol you go Trilogy, I laughed my sorry little head off when I saw that...
Old 10-03-2003, 11:18 PM

Evidence basis for the existence of God versus Big Bang theorem is maddness.
Big Bang: Where did the stuff that made that come from?
versus
God and Creation: Who made God?

Both camps have no evidence or retort ofr the final accusatory response.

In terms of aesthetic beauty. Many natural things offer a sense of wonder. Many things offer a sense of revulsion too. Emotional response to beauty and ugliness represents a survivalist response and nothing more.
Granted The Lord God may well have been the creationist force behind the emotional response. You look at Poo Poo and think ugh!! We know that it is dangerous and full of germs that might kill you. It is not that knowledge that makes us go Ugh! though, it is an in herent response. Evolutionist would suggest it has developed over years of faulty genones dieing off through eating poo, creationsts would suggest that God made sure we would eat nice things for our own good.

Saying there must be a God because the sunset looks pretty is rather daft.
I would suggest you can theorise that there is an emotional response that feels so good it borders on your spiritual feelings and perhaps God put it there to ensure you marvelled at His creation.
It does not however offer any evidence of an entity called God, Allah or Christ.

I look at a sunset and am glad I was there to see it. I smile to myself and look for others to share in my experience.
Doesnt mean I have to attribute it to a religious experience.

The argument that trillions of cells dont just happen though I DO agree with.
It happened over millions of years, of slow evolution, step by tentative step. Our scientists have recreated the starting point of all this life and have been able to prove how it works and what happens to cause life.

You are right. A multicellular conciouslife form cannot POSSIBLY just happen.
I mean to say, the thought that a human being can just suddenly come into existence out of nothing.
Next people would be saying that a sentient intelligence magiked the universe out of thin air!!!!

Some fine passions in this thread, but fundamentaly flawed debate I feel.
Shame.

Old 10-03-2003, 11:46 PM
Alcide is offline Alcide

I know of a fact that nothing can create something. Lightning for instance, can create life. Yes it is true, about a year ago my local radiation technology friend at LSU told me about a science project on lightning creating cells when the lightning hits, and it came out possitive. If you want to hear more I'll get more information.
Old 10-04-2003, 12:12 AM
"ath-hole"

Yes, but could they just be cells of the object that it struck and just altered by extreme heat? Yes, I agree on the stand that who, or what created GOD. There is however a logical explination for that as well...he always has existed. Think of that? If he is so mightey and great how could he not have existed forever? I guess we will find out the answer when we die, I bet you 1 million of whatever they have in heaven that there is a God and that if you live how he wants, you will see him.
Old 10-04-2003, 01:30 AM
Sal UK is offline Sal UK

There is one way we will all find out as we are all on the same path.

we will all come to an end some day(hope its a long time in the future.) But thats the only way anyone can settle it.

But Science on this subject isnt science fact it is theory.

Or no one would believe if they had proof there wasnt a god.

I believe there is. But its up to the individual what they believe and as was mentioned war is not the way.

Add an O to God=Good drop the D from Devil=Evil.

Im with the Good Side.