Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Off-Topic > General Chat
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General Chat Talk about anything that does not fit into other topics here.

View Poll Results: God or No god?
yes 44 63.77%
no 21 30.43%
I don't know I stupid because I don't have an opinion 4 5.80%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-04-2003, 11:01 AM
BADDOG is offline BADDOG
resigned

Atholon I have a question for you, how do you know for certain god has always existed? I respect your belief but there is no certain way of knowing if there is a god, supreme being or what ever.

I have had many discussions with theologians who can explain every thing in biblical terms but they can never explain why any god allows things like the holocaust or Northern Island, or the Balkans or Eithiopia? What kind of deity allows millions of the worlds poorest to starve to death in such dreadful conditions?

I still think in the 21 st century that we should set aside these dangerous beliefs, especially as we now have a militant muslim faction hell bent on destroying as much of the west as they can. Most muslims are appalled by what they say and do but that kind of fanatacism is dangerous for the whole world.

If we have no religion then we have one less reason to wage war on each other.

Regards
Old 10-04-2003, 11:39 AM
atholon is offline atholon
"ath-hole"

Send a message via MSN to atholon
Well actually, I believe God has always existed. The point is that no one can prove one or the other, there is evidence that supports both. As far as the belief that we should set aside our beliefs to be protected, that is a bonch of garbage. I'll die before I denounce my God, this country (USA) was founded on the belief that there is a God. How much has this helped us? To a degree that we may never know or recognize. The muslim nations beleive in Alah, but somehow we became more advanceds in technology, we developed better morals. How can it be that technology was doormant or even non existant for almost more than 2000 years? Then in the 300 (close enough) years that this country has existed we have major advances? I don't believe this can all be attributed to man.
Old 10-04-2003, 11:41 AM
"ath-hole"

oh, and as far as us not having a religion, and eliminating war...that is a very unrealistic view. 50% of wars fought in the known existance of the Human race, faught over land, family conflicts or other causes. Loosing one's religion is not going to help us end war...sorry
Old 10-04-2003, 12:16 PM
Lakie is offline Lakie

atholon i would like to point out that persia (ie. modern day iran iraq) had universitys and colleges while we were cavemen

morals is a cultural thing and they change
Example:
the muslims think that making women wear the veil is proper, westerners disagree
Up until recently racial segregation in the US was viewed as proper now it isnt

In 50 years tiime people will probably look back and frown at us, just as we do to the segregation era.

Im also pretty sure the technology could be attributed to the world's population increase.

This is something i think well end up agreeing to disagree lol
Old 10-04-2003, 12:20 PM
"ath-hole"

That is true, however did the arabs develope the modern day computer, airplanes, and Television? You are right about morals, it is cultural, but as far as a culture beleiving in killing innocent people...I call that no morals.
Old 10-04-2003, 12:34 PM
Alcide is offline Alcide

Send a message via ICQ to Alcide Send a message via AIM to Alcide Send a message via Yahoo to Alcide
Well thats the only way to find out I guess, to die. So why don't a religious scientist do it? Develop a way for the human body to "die" and then restart, or in others words "dead hibernation". Then ask the person wtf he seen/heared/smelled. Would it really be that hard? The answer is no, it has already been done to make animals such as monkies, rabbits, and rats. Currently Humans are "dead hibernation" but none have set their awaking dates to current timing, more like 20-30 years to awake. If you want to know more about this story I'll try to dig it up.

Last edited by Alcide; 10-04-2003 at 12:48 PM.
Old 10-04-2003, 12:46 PM
Alcide is offline Alcide

Send a message via ICQ to Alcide Send a message via AIM to Alcide Send a message via Yahoo to Alcide
ignore
Old 10-04-2003, 03:43 PM
BADDOG is offline BADDOG
resigned

I hate to point this out but I said if we rid ourselves of religion then there will be ONE less reason for us to go to war.

As for technology and our advancement as a race? The cleverness of man and the inventive human mind is the answer to all our advances. We did this on our own without any other wordly help because we are intelligent and also some times, dangerously so i.e. the atomic bomb.

Religion continues to create tension all over the globe, the same god with different interpretations and all of them so sure they are right and theirs is the one true god. For this absolute belief they sacrifice their young in interminable wars as we once did in Europe for hundreds of years, people fled Britian and created the United States because of religious bigotry.

More blood has been spilt in the name of one god or another than for any other reason and through out our history we have slaughtered each other in his name.

It is long since past time to lay the myths of long ago, I cannot tell anyone what to believe, that is an individuals choice but I do know we are in the 21st century and we need to look to the future of our race without borders, or race or creed or colour and most all, without religion dividing us!

Warm Regards
Old 10-04-2003, 04:10 PM
SilentTrigger is offline SilentTrigger
-1PARA-

I really dont think religion is the cause of war, not even a big part of it. It is the reasion in a very few numbers of conflicts, the overall reasions for war around the world is political differences, envy and power, its easy to blame the religion of our wars but mainly, deepdown its not the religional differeneces that cause them, more the greed for power and the envy of people, but yes some conflicts are caused by religional differences but they are few compared...
Many conflicts is about things like, a pice of land or a water well, hunger is also a big reasion to war...
If it just the reasion to war was religion there wouldnt have been as many wars as there actully are!

My photography website

Last edited by SilentTrigger; 10-04-2003 at 04:19 PM.
Old 10-04-2003, 07:44 PM
"ath-hole"

^ uhuh ^ that is very correct. So now you don't have to worry about my trying to point that out.
Old 10-04-2003, 10:46 PM
Äñ.Thrãx is offline Äñ.Thrãx

Send a message via ICQ to Äñ.Thrãx
Im stupied because i dont have a opinion (damn straight)
Old 10-04-2003, 11:43 PM
"ath-hole"

lol
Old 10-04-2003, 11:58 PM
Alcide is offline Alcide

Someone remind me what started the palestine and israel conflict. And like baddog said for the 2nd, its A cause of war not the cause of war.
Old 10-05-2003, 12:13 AM
MeltdowN*SAW* is offline MeltdowN*SAW*

Send a message via ICQ to MeltdowN*SAW*
One Of The Scientists theories

"A Big Explosion Of Matter Is What Created Everything"

If you believe that then you need to be castrated with fishing knives

i believe in god, and he's helped me in so many ways...so i will always and forever believe that there is a place to go to after you die

whether it be heaven or hell

thats my 2 cents...
Old 10-05-2003, 01:07 AM
"ath-hole"

Loving the 2 cents...
Old 10-05-2003, 03:15 AM
Alcide is offline Alcide

Who says god is a he? Or a she? Or any gender for that matter.
Old 10-05-2003, 04:16 AM
Diamond Bullet is offline Diamond Bullet

Send a message via ICQ to Diamond Bullet Send a message via Yahoo to Diamond Bullet
Wasn't WWII started by the nazi's to rid the world of jews. Correct me if I'm wrong but if there were no jews or religion, then there would be no bases to start the war.

MSN: db_dasniper@hotmail.com

Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

supplied by Nev
Old 10-05-2003, 05:29 AM
BADDOG is offline BADDOG
resigned

I think this has been a great post for everyone to share their opinions on! We are of course no nearer to knowing if there is a god or not but the main message seems to be that we should all try to get along with each other after all, as I've said before, we only have one world folks and this is it!

Lets hope we can all over come our differences and learn to live in peace with one another, someday we might just do it and I remain optimisitic about our future, it is in the hearts of all mankind to live in harmony and one way or another we will get there!

Warmest Regards to all
Old 10-05-2003, 10:05 AM
SilentTrigger is offline SilentTrigger
-1PARA-

Quote:
Originally posted by Diamond Bullet
Wasn't WWII started by the nazi's to rid the world of jews. Correct me if I'm wrong but if there were no jews or religion, then there would be no bases to start the war.
Hitler started the war and made people hate jews and people with a difference, it was pretty much brainwashing...

Hate against another person, not nesseserly a religion. Read a bit about hitler and the people near him and you might find some interesting facts... If you might not have known, Hitler started a war against his own born religion, Hitler was a jew himself...

I think the reasion was deper then just religion, maybe his abusive grandfather, there ware alot of things in his life who could have caused this, the religional hate was just a tool for him to remove his anger...

It didnt really seem to help...

My photography website

Old 10-05-2003, 10:57 AM
Lakie is offline Lakie

hitler was always pissed off with the triple Entente when germany effectively went bankrupt after the treaty of Versallias which ended WW1 and Germany had tp pay the french for damages in Alsace-Lorraine.