Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Computers > Web design and Programming
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Web design and Programming Discuss website creation and other programming topics.

Old 03-15-2006, 04:03 PM
BlackMass is offline BlackMass

Table Height Being A *(&^*^*&^

I went to this validator site that I found the link to on the main site. Check my own website - http://revisionized.com - for errors. Lo and behold! and had some 130 errors. Thank you, Microsoft!

So, I spent near three hours going through all of my code, and fixing the errors that I found. And here lies the problem.

After all this time, I have now discovered that table height is not a valid piece of code!

Did not know that. Know that now.

So now I need some help. How in the world can I get my tables set to the proper height using images for backgrounds? View my website now and you'll see what I'm dealing with. I know it can be done, because obviously the main site here passed with flying colors. I looked at the source code for NovaHQ, but could not figure out the tables and background images portion.

I need help. Please. I am at a loss.

» Visit Clan Hall Gaming «
Old 03-15-2006, 05:15 PM
Capers is offline Capers

CSS is what you're looking for, specifically the height property:

http://www.w3schools.com/css/pr_dim_height.asp
Old 03-15-2006, 06:34 PM

I understand that CSS will help me solve the problem, and I have somewhat of a grasp as to how CSS works. But I don't understand how to implement it to get the layout that I have now to work. The only way I know how to do that is to use tables in FrontPage, and set background images in the appropriate places.

Old 03-16-2006, 12:42 AM
Kandi is offline Kandi

take a look at the div tag. css virtually eliminates the need for the table tag. you can specify how far from top and how far from left you want a div to be. its height, background image, width, even font color and borders. Quite a useful coding language i wish i had wanted to learn this when i learned html. But no i decided to wait. Silly me.

something like this:

<html>
<head>
<style>
#main{
position:absolute;
top:50;
left:200;
height:400;
width:200;
background-image:url('image.gif');
background-repeat:no-repeat;
}
</style>
</head>
<body>
<div id="main">
This is the content of your table
</div>
</body>
</html>

change the size values to what you want and change image.gif to what you want it to be. (not much but an idea.)

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott
The only thing that is my fault is me not having any faults.
Quote:
My english teacher wanted to flunk me in junior high. Thanks a lot, next semester I'll be 35.

Last edited by Kandi; 03-16-2006 at 01:04 AM.
Old 03-16-2006, 01:08 AM
Kandi is offline Kandi

hope that helps

Quote:
Quote:
My english teacher wanted to flunk me in junior high. Thanks a lot, next semester I'll be 35.
Old 03-16-2006, 01:14 AM
Scott is offline Scott
AKA. Panther

Microsoft is not at fault here, your code / W3C standards are the problem (Not basing you). You code must comply with the W3C if your using that test, it has nothing to do with what browser or anything your running. Front page will write your code in valid html, i've tested it myself. There are 2 main forms of html.. In html the height for setting tables is a valid tag, in xhtml it is not. CSS is not very good at setting the heights in percent with tables also, because both IE and FF are different. If you want to use the height tag use html. If you want headaches use xhtml and css. I only used xhtml on this site to challenge my abilities, and learn, nothing more...

Whats better about xhtml? Nothing really. I use it cause... well I really don't know. The real advantage is supposed to be clearner code that is compatiable in every browser, but i've found that not to be the case, and unless you have a very good understanding of what tags are valid and invalid in xhtml (alot found through trial and error) you will just end up with alot of headaches. xhtml is VERY strict..

IMHO pure CSS tables is a waiste of time. If you have alot of time to waiste, go for it, but if you want to get the job done then use tables. Because of the diffrences in FF and IE, css tables can be a very big pain in the a$$. CSS mixed in with tables can be very rewarding though, it saves me loads of time when changing this site around.

Anyways, if you want me to help i'll need to know what you are really trying to acomplish..

04' Dodge SRT-4, Mopar Stage 3, 406whp/436wtq
Old 03-16-2006, 07:18 AM
Jeff is offline Jeff

Send a message via AIM to Jeff
Finally someone who sees tablesless designs as i do... You're my hero P.
Old 03-16-2006, 10:46 AM

Quote:
....... i'll need to know what you are really trying to acomplish.
I guess I was just trying to get a 'clean bill of health' much like NovaHQ has. I went through and fixed all the little errors without much problem. When the whole table thing started stumping me, it more or less became an issue of figuring out a solution just so I could say that I solved the problem, not that the problem needed to be solved.

I really don't need the site to pass anything ..... it works, and it is so easy to set up using the tables. I just wasn't able to grasp how CSS worked in relation to tables. Although after looking at Kandi's response, I think I grasp it better (although I won't know for sure until I try it out).

Old 03-16-2006, 01:26 PM
Kandi is offline Kandi

look at the w3schools website though if you want to know more about css. they are really helpful I am taking a course for it but I like going there because they tell it in terms that make sense.. They are helpful for many other website languages as well.

Quote:
Quote: