Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Off-Topic > General Chat

General Chat Talk about anything that does not fit into other topics here.

Old 06-29-2012, 02:42 PM
SilentTrigger is offline SilentTrigger
-1PARA-

Bought a new bike

Bought a bike again after 4 years of not even tuching a bike. I used to bike a 14 km run every day for a about 2 years and was fitt as heck. Now I lose breath just exiting my car (no not really that bad but close ) so I thought it's time to start exercising again.

First bought a mid priced bike, looked really cool so I thought "what the heck, i need a bike!" so off I went. Bikeride home from the store i started to notice a sound (actually noticed it outside the store already but was in a hurry) that came from the hydraulic discbrake, as I've had diskbreaks before I knew exactly what the problem was. A slight wobble in the diskbreak, less then 1 mm but it still annoyed me. Thought about it over night and went to the store again to see if they could fix it. We both tried to sort it considering I probebly had more knowlage of diskbreaks on bikes then he did. Got alot better to probebly 1/2 mm or less of a wobble.

First, mid priced bike

I still didn't feel satisfied the problem was gone so I said I wanted a return, no problem att all and he understood compleetly so I got a refound on the bike and including the assably cost.

Thought I'd have a look in the sports shop next door (not really next door but doesn't matter ) and looked a bit on bikes, really liked the Scott's bikes, met the salesman who himself was an on/offroad biker, he had a trasure of knowlage and experience, siad that I wanted a bike for onroad mostly but also offroad, mainly on forest trails. Pointed me to three Scott's bikes that he considered to be perfect, one model of which he himself owned. His model was a bit too much for my purpuse and he agreed, he recommended the model blow it (the third model was even more hard core and a serious competion bike). So I went with the "cheaper" model which still wasn't cheap by my standards. Came at a price of around USD$ 1300. Thought that it might be worth it considering how i didn't like the mid range bike, took the smaller version they had up on display for a spin around the back of their store and it was pure heven, so little resistense in the wheels and every moving part. So I fell in love instantly so I bought the 29" version of that model.

The awsomeness itself!

Looks slightly corny with the splash covers over the back wheel and on the frame behind the front wheel but they're good to have if your cought in a rainstorm while out biking the front was supposed to be another type bit these bikes anre not made to be fitted with thouse corvers so he suggested the one on the frame instead as he had done on his bike, apparently at least prevented water and dirt to be sprayed right in the riders face. Thought that sounded good so I went with that too. And a support, not a standard item for these types of bike either so not a perfect fit but does it's job

I think the model was called: Scale 29 Comp

My photography website

Old 06-30-2012, 08:46 PM
Guest001 is offline Guest001

I could get a motor in that first one, it looks great! Nice buy. Pity about the brake problem sounds like the hub flange itself not the disc assy.

Second bike way too expensive for me but where you are it wouldn't pay to skimp would it?!

PS
is that a ski on the side stand?
Old 07-01-2012, 04:18 AM
-1PARA-

Quote:
Originally Posted by stompem View Post
I could get a motor in that first one, it looks great! Nice buy. Pity about the brake problem sounds like the hub flange itself not the disc assy.

Second bike way too expensive for me but where you are it wouldn't pay to skimp would it?!

PS
is that a ski on the side stand?
Yep I really liked the white finnish on it with the green stickers, really good match!

The issue was unfortently both the disc itself, the hub looked staight to the naked eye when spinning atleast. Might however have been the axel of the hub though as it never seemed to connect the same each time we took it off and put it on again.

I bike, or rather did bike, alot and intend to do so again and buying a cheaper bike is no point it will come and bite me in my behind sooner or later as I tend to do offroad on a bit harsher tracks too and thats where a cheap bike really struggles.

They also sprad salt on most roads in the winter so rust is an issue on cheaper bikes with cheaper materials.

The skid you see is just a wheelcover from an old bike the stand is in the middle of the paddle assembly and a little bit of the foot of the stand can be seen in the photo

My photography website

Old 07-01-2012, 10:47 AM

My Grandma used salt on the driveway in winter to keep the weeds down.
Off-road is a "generally" peaceful and personal adventure reserved for our free time (precious indeed). Enjoy!

Quote:
Might however have been the axel of the hub though as it never seemed to connect the same each time we took it off and put it on again.
You'd be spot on there. A slight amount of axle end run-out would do that. Set up on V blocks with a trammel and dial gauge to test the end play is a bit much for a bicycle.

Everything should be marked before you try to gauge any sort of differential.

Even when changing the Tyre on a cycle, as you have to remove the wheel, the chain and axle orientation should be marked in relation to the sprockets and

armatures to ensure replacement precisely back to the same position as on removal to ensure everything is back is inline with wear.

Last edited by Guest001; 07-01-2012 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Reason for editing "too many beers :)"
Old 07-01-2012, 12:07 PM
-1PARA-

Indeed, but I can garantie that it would of been way over their heads to even work out how a precision dial gauge works haha.

If it had been this bike I bought now that cost a hell of a lot more, i would have taken it to work and massured any trow with a precision dail gauge, but the first bike was a bit cheap for such a trip especially considering how easy it was to get a refound

Your tips are greatly apreachiated! I'm used to be in the saddle of a bike but not with tool in my hand and fixing it. I do have alot of knowlage how the parts work induvidually though

My photography website

Old 07-01-2012, 01:17 PM

Quote:
I do have alot of knowlage how the parts work induvidually though
That's all you need...the whole is the sum of the individual parts thereof.

If you can understand the individual processes taking place, you can work your way

through very complex assemblies piece by piece...YES?
Old 07-01-2012, 01:31 PM
-1PARA-

Yes true, just need to work out how everything is assembled

My photography website

Old 07-01-2012, 11:52 PM

LOL and be able to get at it (my first Japanese motorcycle and car)!
Old 02-25-2015, 06:41 PM
-1PARA-

Old thread but I still love this bike both off road and on road, took it to work of around 50 km there and back, frankly good in all that ride but my bum really needs to get used to bikes again, had so much pain I couldn't sit on the saddle the last 10 km, had to stand the whole way, but I did it.

Also took it up a ski mountain with my 10 year old nephew on his bike where they have off-road mountainbike tracks (also arrange competitions), was a blast even with a bit of rain.

Strapped a GoPro on my nephews helmet and filmed a bit when we went down the mountain, it was a lot faster then it looks, looks slow for some reason. Anyways it was a blast going down in high speed!

My photography website

Old 02-25-2015, 06:50 PM
Scott is offline Scott
AKA. Panther

Looks like a lot of fun. Reminds me of my teens when I used to ride so many local trails on my BMX. Now that i'm older and can actually afford a decent bike I wish I had more time for all my hobbies. A new bike is on my list of things to buy this year!

04' Dodge SRT-4, Mopar Stage 3, 406whp/436wtq
Old 02-26-2015, 07:16 AM
-1PARA-

Yeah, good for the body! I wish I was younger so I had the balance I once had and no longer have, get a bit envious on my nephew that have the balance, wish I could go back as a kid! Haha

My nephew tried my bike and loved it too, was a bit too big though even with the saddle on the lowest, he was amazed how light it was, about half of his 26 inch bike I rode his on his saddle height, worked that way around too even if it was a bit low haha

My photography website

Old 02-26-2015, 09:33 PM
bigsmellyfart is offline bigsmellyfart

re bike

now you don't have to hike....you can just ride your Bike...
you have wanted one since you were a little tike and
its good you got it now cuase your job is out on strike.....

heheheheheheh nice bike...nice poem....:

BSF

14TB 7200 rpm HDD
LG 16x blue ray R/W Drive
-----------------------------------

CHEVRON 7 Unlocked