Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Computers > Hardware and Software

Hardware and Software Discuss hardware, software and security related stuff

Old 02-18-2006, 11:23 PM
DevilDog#1 is offline DevilDog#1

Microsoft Plans Six Core Windows Vista Versions

Quote:

Mary Jo Foley - Microsoft Watch Sat Feb 18, 10:28 AM ET

After months of maintaining that it had not yet finalized its Windows Vista line up, Microsoft seems finally to have decided upon a half dozen core Vista versions.
ADVERTISEMENT

According to a posting on its Web site, Microsoft is readying six core Vista packages, or SKUs, plus two additional releases customized for the
European Union that won't bundle in Windows Media Player, as ordered by European antitrust regulators.

On the line up are Windows Starter 2007; Windows Vista Enterprise; Windows Vista Home Basic, Windows Vista Home Premium, Windows Vista ultimate, Windows Vista Business, Windows Vista Home Basic N and Windows Vista Business N. The "N" releases are those which do not include Media Player.

It's not clear whether the Starter release mentioned on Microsoft's site is the same as the current Windows XP Starter Edition product, which is a cut-rate, less fully featured version of Windows tailored for developing countries.

The new SKU list contains relatively few surprises, as Microsoft had been widely expected to fold features from its current
Windows XP Media Center Edition and Windows XP Tablet PC Edition into other SKUs, rather than continue to sell them as distinct editions. Company officials also previously discussed plans to offer a Windows Vista Enterprise Edition – a variant of Vista that Microsoft is using as an incentive to attract more users to sign up for its Software Assurance licensing plan by making it available to Software Assurance customers only.

However, as some Web commentators have noted, there is no Windows Vista Small Business Edition on the current list. Such a SKU was supposedly part of Microsoft's Vista plans, as of quite recently. There also is no mention of any 64-bit-specific Windows Vista editions on the Microsoft Web site.

According to information on the Microsoft site, all of the planned Windows variants will include integrated games. The Vista Business, Home and Enterprise editions all will include built-in support for mobile Microsoft currently offers six different versions of Windows XP. The line up includes XP Home, Professional, Media Center, Tablet PC, and Professional x64, and the Windows XP N editions.

Rumors regarding Microsoft's thinking on final Vista packaging have been leaking for two years. During that time, Microsoft officials have maintained that the company had yet to decide on its final packaging plans for the operating system, which is due to ship this fall.

Microsoft officials did not respond by the time this article was posted to questions as to whether the latest line-up list reflects all of the planned Windows Vista versions.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/zd/20060218/...NlYwN5bmNhdA--

Quote:
If I don't do that doesn't mean I can't - DD#1
Old 02-21-2006, 12:18 PM
Obscuras is offline Obscuras

Vista for the win!

Old 02-21-2006, 01:53 PM
Mstenger404 is offline Mstenger404

Send a message via MSN to Mstenger404
im gonna get that, as i heard the pc version of halo 2 is only gonna work on vista

Intel Q9300 Quad~2.5Ghz
PALIT GTX570
ASUS GTX280 Dedicated PhysX
WD Velociraptor 300GB 10k RPM
WD Caviar Black 1TB 7,200 RPM
4GB Patriot DDR3 1333mhz
Intel BOXDX48BT2 X48
Corsair 1000Watt Modular PSU
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
ASUS VG238H 23" 120Hz 3D-Ready
Old 02-21-2006, 04:10 PM
Hellfighter is offline Hellfighter
Chief ADFP

Send a message via ICQ to Hellfighter
i don't know, you make some thing and have all the copy right on it, and sell to other countrys think you have the right to sell it to countrys that force you to give away your information on it, and force to limited the items that are in it.

windows media player is nice and all, i for one like to codic it use in it.

will it may not be ship to it, but they maybe able to get it after all in update site for extra items......

i think it freaking sad bs
*Discord: Unknown77#7121
Playing now days: EA Games> swtor [star wars old republic]
Old 02-21-2006, 04:14 PM

microsoft has the biggest muscles but no emotions

Intel Q9300 Quad~2.5Ghz
PALIT GTX570
4GB Patriot DDR3 1333mhz
Intel BOXDX48BT2 X48
Old 02-21-2006, 04:18 PM
Hellfighter is offline Hellfighter
Chief ADFP

Send a message via ICQ to Hellfighter
Quote:
Originally posted by Mstenger404
im gonna get that, as i heard the pc version of halo 2 is only gonna work on vista
will in this case i would normally agreed with you, but is Win-Vista is limited on some of the items it may not work in the version, think you have to pick what one do work with it, and watchout for the country your in do to crap they say can't be in Win-Vista

i love the **** out of halo ce i can't wait to see Halo 3........wish i could play still Halo 2 in my computer as it only limited to freaking xbox serials
*Discord: Unknown77#7121
Playing now days: EA Games> swtor [star wars old republic]
Old 03-03-2006, 02:10 PM
Chrispy is offline Chrispy

Send a message via MSN to Chrispy Send a message via Yahoo to Chrispy
I would prefer Windows Vista Home Premium for some reason. It sounds like my style!

According to information on the Microsoft site, all of the planned Windows variants will include integrated games. The Vista Business, Home and Enterprise editions all will include built-in support for mobile Microsoft currently offers six different versions of Windows XP. The line up includes XP Home, Professional, Media Center, Tablet PC, and Professional x64, and the Windows XP N editions.

Integrated games!

Chris_OJB_DF645 --
Intel Core Duo E7300 2.66GHz // SuperTalent DDR2 800 2GB // ASUS nVidia GeForce 8400GS 512MB // Western Digital 7200RPM 320GB SATA // LG GH-20LS 20X SATA DVD-RAM // Windows XP Pro 32-bit // Thermaltake XP550 NP 430W // Thermaltake SOPRANO SECC Black
Old 03-03-2006, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Chief ADFP
will in this case i would normally agreed with you, but is Win-Vista is limited on some of the items it may not work in the version, think you have to pick what one do work with it, and watchout for the country your in do to crap they say can't be in Win-Vista
well we could eliminate the versions that we think wont work and ask others how much success they had.

Intel Q9300 Quad~2.5Ghz
PALIT GTX570
4GB Patriot DDR3 1333mhz
Intel BOXDX48BT2 X48