Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Computers > Tech Support

Tech Support Have a problem? Maybe we can help!

Old 11-02-2009, 12:34 PM
Sofaires is offline Sofaires

Send a message via ICQ to Sofaires Send a message via AIM to Sofaires Send a message via Yahoo to Sofaires
help, pc lockup

ok, i build thisone, the problem im having is that every now and then i get random lockup and i have to shut it down by pressign the power for a few seconds, i think it is the heat but im not sure i use to live in michigan wich is pretty cold up there and i did have the problem but only like 3 times when the house was warm, it is not the ram i did change the ram to new ones thinking that was the problem but its not, i have the intel core 2 quad Q9400 with the original fan wich i think its the problem i just want a second opinion to see what you guys think... here is my set up:

Intel core2quad Q9400 @ 2.66ghz stock speed
Ocz dual channel kit 4gb Ram @ 1066
Evga 750i Motherboard
xfx nvidia 9800GTX+
rosewill PSU 550W
WD 320GB

everything its at stock speed, except for the ram wich the own box say that they support the 1066 and my motherboard support it too i use the volts like the box said 2.1v but like i said i change my old ram and did the same thing im right now in puerto rico wich the tempeture its almost always 80+ even in xmas what do you guys think could be?
Old 11-02-2009, 12:58 PM
Steve is offline Steve
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Steve
does it lock up when you are doing anything is particular?

what OS?
Old 11-02-2009, 01:11 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Sofaires Send a message via AIM to Sofaires Send a message via Yahoo to Sofaires
if im just browsing the net it will last a lot longer if im playing games like cod 4 left4dead and games like those it will last probably like 10min games with a lot less graphic it will last hours and the os is vista home premium 32bit

yes i need 64 for the extra ram :P but that was the disc i had at the moment heh
Old 11-02-2009, 05:33 PM
Sam is offline Sam
Nobody loves me

why dont you upgrade to you windows 7? it works better.

for you problem have you ever blown out your pc with a air compressed can? or a compressor? if you havent i woul give it a shot
Old 11-02-2009, 06:24 PM
Mstenger404 is offline Mstenger404

Send a message via MSN to Mstenger404
if it always locks up after a certain duration, it must be the temperature for sure.

Check to be sure your video card's fan is 100% working. Nvidia control panel should have an option to check that out.

Like sam said, take a can of compressed air and blow any dust out. Then you can make sure all cables are tied and tucked out of the way of major air flow, look for places where components intake air and be sure they're clear.

Also a tricky one is the motherboards chipset, with my last motherboard the video card was so huge it blocked airflow to the northbridge, and covered the southbridge completely. The chipset are some critical components you need to keep an eye on.

Intel Q9300 Quad~2.5Ghz
PALIT GTX570
ASUS GTX280 Dedicated PhysX
WD Velociraptor 300GB 10k RPM
WD Caviar Black 1TB 7,200 RPM
4GB Patriot DDR3 1333mhz
Intel BOXDX48BT2 X48
Corsair 1000Watt Modular PSU
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
ASUS VG238H 23" 120Hz 3D-Ready
Old 11-02-2009, 06:28 PM
Sam is offline Sam
Nobody loves me

yeah thats another thing, the motheroard is not able to dispearse the hot air so the pc locks-up
Old 11-03-2009, 12:53 AM
Xx_jet_xX is offline Xx_jet_xX

Send a message via Yahoo to Xx_jet_xX
open the box up and clean it out, that sounds similar to a heat issue, but in my experiance an overheat usualy causes the rig to shut off if its a major component like chipset or cpu so it could also be a power supply problem as well. make sure those cables are secure when you clean it.

WTF-Squad

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day. -George Carlin
Old 11-03-2009, 12:54 PM

thanks a lot for all those reply and now that you mention it its true heat problems normaly shut the computer down hmm, forgot to mention the computer its almost new i did clean it with compress air but still so im thinking could be the psu its not powerful enough or a bad one maybe and yes my card its huge also i will tell you what confuse me is that i open the side panel of the computer with a fan blowing into the computer and still last a little longer but still lockup and that it is what makes me wonder what could be
Old 11-03-2009, 01:01 PM
EDGE is offline EDGE

Send a message via ICQ to EDGE Send a message via AIM to EDGE Send a message via Yahoo to EDGE
Double check and make sure your processor isn't overheating due to the fan being loose or the thermalpaste not properly sticking to the fan and heatsink.
Old 11-03-2009, 01:15 PM

fan its good but the paste theres not much of it, its not covering the entire cpu and theres little of it that could be the problem
Old 11-03-2009, 02:10 PM

when you decide to apply new thermal paste, wipe all of the old off first so the cpu is clean of it, then you apply a new batch of it.

reusing pre-applied thermal paste is a mistake.

Intel Q9300 Quad~2.5Ghz
PALIT GTX570
4GB Patriot DDR3 1333mhz
Intel BOXDX48BT2 X48
Old 11-03-2009, 03:17 PM

i will do that and let you guys know how it went
Old 11-04-2009, 07:54 PM

I seriously do not believe this is a heat related issue but more of a power supply issue. 550 watts is not realy enough and would be bare minimum for a low end 9 series of cards. and with a 9800GTX+ those things suck alot of power when under load.

you can test by removing the side panel and running an external house fan to cool it, and unplug non esentials hard drives and if you do not need the optical to play, unplug that as well as all the extra fans you may have.

If it was temp related from the processor the rig would simply shut off.

WTF-Squad

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day. -George Carlin
Old 11-04-2009, 07:58 PM

it was different with my old motherboard, when the temperature became too much, it locked up. Nothing responded, there was looping sound but ctrl+alt+del wouldnt work. Absolutely no response, and it always happened after maybe 30 min of web browsing to 15 min of game playing.

Changing out the fans changed the time it lasted before locking up again, I kid you not.

I had a 1000 watt powersupply the whole time

Intel Q9300 Quad~2.5Ghz
PALIT GTX570
4GB Patriot DDR3 1333mhz
Intel BOXDX48BT2 X48
Old 11-04-2009, 08:23 PM
Sam is offline Sam
Nobody loves me

WHAT 1000WAT POWER SUPPLY????? talk about a power sucker
Old 11-05-2009, 04:25 AM
Steve is offline Steve
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Steve
550w sould be fine with, but ive never heard of rosewill before so i'd suggest they are not the most quality manufacturers around?
Old 11-05-2009, 11:00 AM
Hellfighter is offline Hellfighter
Chief ADFP

Send a message via ICQ to Hellfighter
start> run

type in

chkdsk /f (f=full quick scan)

chkdsk /F /R (F=Full / R=deep through scan take way longer to look for errors)

type Y=yes

restart your system as it boot up it will scan for errors on the HD drives

*cutting the power off can make more error special if it writing to the HD as you kill it. i would try to see if you can get a reset button install on the PC tower to reset the system (MOB) without having to cut the power off.

in the last 90days have you add any new hardway to you PC? some times a new item can go back and make the system lockup, check for any new update software/ drivers for your new hardware like Video cards, sound card, video capture cards...ect

Ps my use to lockup a bet too for no reason at all, i install a reset button on my tower to the MOB when it happen i press the button and system restarts and helps when it happens, without making it crash by cutting the power off.

btw:
Intel core2quad Q9400 @ 2.66ghz stock speed
Ocz dual channel kit 4gb Ram @ 1066
Evga 750i Motherboard
xfx nvidia 9800GTX+
rosewill PSU 550W
WD 320GB

Operation system? (OS) windows XP family? Vista family? 2000? or a server 2008.........ect
oh os is vista home premium 32bit ok

don't know if windows vista use the chkdsk option for it to use could try see if it comes up
*Discord: Unknown77#7121
Playing now days: EA Games> swtor [star wars old republic]

Last edited by Hellfighter; 11-05-2009 at 11:17 AM.
Old 11-05-2009, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
550w sould be fine with, but ive never heard of rosewill before so i'd suggest they are not the most quality manufacturers around?
yea i hear rosewell isnt that great at manufacturing powersupplys anyhow, I hear bad reviews allover them on newegg.

Intel Q9300 Quad~2.5Ghz
PALIT GTX570
4GB Patriot DDR3 1333mhz
Intel BOXDX48BT2 X48
Old 11-07-2009, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mstenger404 View Post
yea i hear rosewell isnt that great at manufacturing powersupplys anyhow, I hear bad reviews allover them on newegg.
Thats why I suggested to look at the PSU by removing any and all non essential hardware and test. if it works fine then thats the problem. i would suggest a psu tester but that would cost money where basic trouble shooting would show near the same results. as for temps theres monitors that could give a report on what hardware temps are at.

If It was a better more reliable brand of PSU i wouldnt suspect it right off the bat. i have a 650 watt X-clio running 2 of the same exact cards thats reported here. i had a 500 watt corsair that the comp would freeze up with both cards installed and running in SLI.

If its not the PSU after testing with barebones grab a copy of Prime95 and run it when you go to bed, if theres a problem with memory chipset or the CPU itself it will be in the error log.

WTF-Squad