Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Off-Topic > General Chat

General Chat Talk about anything that does not fit into other topics here.

Old 05-08-2018, 10:01 AM
BlacKSmurF is offline BlacKSmurF

eek If DF or DFBHD was remade with modern graphics and a with a map editor, how would it sell today?

These games still have a cult following, but I'm wondering if they'd still be big hit today if they had a graphical overhaul. I think the core gameplay needs to remain the same to be a DF game, but there need to be a few tweaks:
  • Keep the arcadey gunplay: almost no recoil (except on LMGs), perfect accuracy on all guns when running and shooting, adjusting for elevation on sniper shots, etc.
  • Make it an option in the map editor for players to be able to spawn on squad mate (like in Battlefield).
  • Serverside option for a sprint button - but running with a knife is still the fastest option (like how Rainbow 6 Siege makes you run fastest with a pistol out)
  • No driveable vehicles - keep these to the Joint Operations series. Any map that has vehicles is not designed with DF's infantry-centric gameplay in mind.

I think if there were cosmetic-only items like in Siege, a map editor would be a great decision.

What are you all's thoughts? How would you remake the DF series?
Old 05-08-2018, 12:01 PM
Oscarmike247 is offline Oscarmike247

For the story and what it's all about, i would completely re-vision the campaign. I love BHD but i felt like the campaign never captured the realism and intensity that it could have.

First, ive never been in a gun fight so i know that its not accurate for me to personally decide what it is like, but i still feel like it could have gotten closer to the intensity that was felt in the movie. In the campaign missions you never felt like the player was in any real danger. On most maps you could play carelessly and the retarded AI would maybe get a hit on you or two. Second, i understand that the single player gameplay of the delta force series has always been sort of arcade-style run and gun, but i dont feel like that was appropriate for this game given the situation it was portraying. It shouldnt have been a flashy holywood shooter.

As for online gameplay. I agree it should be infantry only. but im kind of torn between keeping gunplay as original DF style and modernizing it, giving each gun specific characteristics like recoil and such. It makes it more interesting when each gun can be better suited for different situations.

I don't know, a part of me has always felt like BHD never should have been a part of the DF series. It should have been a standalone game without adopting so much of the hollywood shooter style gameplay of the DF series.
Old 05-08-2018, 12:11 PM
Steve is offline Steve
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Steve
right now i'd go with a battle royale style, just cause that's the cool thing at the moment (?) to maximise attention and sales.

would love to see another df game, and agree about keeping it vehicle free. gotta be moddable or have mission editor so we get to have more content for this site
Old 05-08-2018, 05:36 PM
blk magic is offline blk magic

It would do well so long as it was marketed properly. Open world shooter. Enough people would recognize the Delta Force name to remember and know what it is. I'm not entirely sure it would be a HUGE hit and compete right out of the gate with COD/BF/CSGO/OverWatch/Fortnite/PUBG. But I think it would be successful as it wouldn't likely need a big budget to make/complete the game.

It would need to emphasize competitive play so all areas of the game have to be balanced. Maps and guns. An excellent anti-cheat system, either third party or proprietary. Always the ACP needs to be updated regularly/often.

Since the hallmark of a DF game is open maps and long distance gunfights, you cannot have massive amounts of recoil and bullet spread. If you are trying to hit a target 600m away (a tiny target), how on earth would you hit him when your bullets fly around randomly. So they have to be 'lase-like' with the player having to compensate for gravity of course like the days of old.

As far as battle royale, I have no clue as to why that is a genre now. To me, its a gametype, not a genre. Having that game type in DF is fine I suppose. Doesn't hurt to have game type options.

And no vehicles indeed. You can put them in a JO remake/sequel.

Edit: Oh and no remakes. BHD maps were, IMO, bad. I know it was based off of Somalia etc. But a lot the maps played like COD. More urban and less open. When you go outside of the city, the map was completely flat with that dense fog to prevent sniping. Just a bit lame IMO. There were better maps with some hills along the outside. The spawns were still close so it was still a bit CQB and hosts still skipped it because it was a 'lame sniper map'. I guess the hills made it a sniper map.

Last edited by blk magic; 05-08-2018 at 05:47 PM.
Old 05-11-2018, 04:47 PM
Guest001 is offline Guest001

How about an all styles Battle Royale MMO -Blend all the engine capabilities - infil from orbit, attack your continent of choice, command an AI squad via vehicle(s) or go it alone on-ground with any type of loadout...