Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Novahq.net Specific > Feedback / Novahq.net Support

Feedback / Novahq.net Support Feedback & Questions for the staff

Old 01-02-2016, 06:26 AM
bigsmellyfart is offline bigsmellyfart

Biggrin re bandwidth usage

dear sirs, whatever....

ur website is allowed so much bandwidth
usage before they can charge you for more
bandwidth . with files like DFX2 Black Ops Mod X2 Utility
they use a big chunk...your website does not support " Resume "
I.E. if for some reason a download is interrupted and the user tries again
the download is supposed to start where t left off...your website starts all over again using up more bandwidth till you run out and they start charging again...please get " resume feature" installed...its good for your website and your user's...fyi BSF...
14TB 7200 rpm HDD
LG 16x blue ray R/W Drive
-----------------------------------

CHEVRON 7 Unlocked
Old 03-06-2016, 02:13 PM
Scott is offline Scott
AKA. Panther

Hmmn didn't recall seeing this post. However, I moved pretty much all the files (over 1ish mb) onto a more reliable server.

04' Dodge SRT-4, Mopar Stage 3, 406whp/436wtq
Old 03-13-2016, 08:01 PM
Hellfighter is offline Hellfighter
Chief ADFP

Send a message via ICQ to Hellfighter
think we have to give money to Scott under the table maybe maybe he'll use it party more and we all be happier for the site! j/k
*Discord: Unknown77#7121
Playing now days: EA Games> swtor [star wars old republic]
Old 04-06-2016, 10:55 AM
Scott is offline Scott
AKA. Panther

So apparently Microsoft's OneDrive is not a good solution for hosting shared files for a website, even if they aren't illegal. They say they do not have bandwidth limits but they do, and if they even slightly suspect a file MAY contain a virus (NONE of the files in our files database contains a virus) they will suspend your account without warning. They didn't like my "Novahq" shared folder, so they suspended my whole account (Xbox and all) twice in the last month because of a false positive and "abnormal bandwidth" usage. If you use your Microsoft account for anything personal or for your business, I cannot recommend them for sharing files at all. The suspension was for 48 hours, and I lost access to everything Microsoft (Xbox, phone etc). Bull****. I canceled my "Office 365" and will no longer share via OneDrive.

So then I uploaded all the files to Dropbox. Well within 4 hours, they disabled all my shared files for abnormal usage. It's not even like we're getting 1000's of visitors a day here.. More like a few hundred.. It can't be that busy. Canceled my account over there.

Now after talking with MediaFire, they say they won't have an issue with the way I want to share files, and I can actually see download counts and bandwidth usage. Plus they offer direct links to the files with fast downloads, so I'm going to try them.

Hopefully all the files will be uploaded by the end of today.

Old 04-06-2016, 09:07 PM
Guest001 is offline Guest001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
So apparently Microsoft's OneDrive is not a good solution for hosting shared files for a website, even if they aren't illegal. They say they do not have bandwidth limits but they do, and if they even slightly suspect a file MAY contain a virus (NONE of the files in our files database contains a virus) they will suspend your account without warning. They didn't like my "Novahq" shared folder, so they suspended my whole account (Xbox and all) twice in the last month because of a false positive and "abnormal bandwidth" usage. If you use your Microsoft account for anything personal or for your business, I cannot recommend them for sharing files at all. The suspension was for 48 hours, and I lost access to everything Microsoft (Xbox, phone etc). Bull****. I canceled my "Office 365" and will no longer share via OneDrive.

So then I uploaded all the files to Dropbox. Well within 4 hours, they disabled all my shared files for abnormal usage. It's not even like we're getting 1000's of visitors a day here.. More like a few hundred.. It can't be that busy. Canceled my account over there.

Now after talking with MediaFire, they say they won't have an issue with the way I want to share files, and I can actually see download counts and bandwidth usage. Plus they offer direct links to the files with fast downloads, so I'm going to try them.

I've been using Media Fire for years it's very good but now I have an unlimited up and down/storage/bandwidth server for only $29 US a month.

Maybe we could all chip in for one?
Old 04-06-2016, 10:08 PM
Scott is offline Scott
AKA. Panther

Well so far so good on MediaFire. I like them, but their uploads aren't as good as DropBox, which is the best I've used so far. But at least MediaFire lets me see download statistics per file and all that good stuff. Plus the downloads are faster then OneDrive and they let me add bandwidth if needed. 10TB of bandwidth a month should be more than enough. I do wish DropBox worked out though, as I REALLY liked that interface. It was so fast and never any issue uploading files.

I've had so many "unlimited" hosts throughout the last 15 years I just don't believe it anymore. Even ones where I paid $199 a month. They've all squawked at me at one time or another, that's why I moved everything to a business cable connection and now host and manage my own server. I can host all the files from my own server, but the problem is that it slows the internet connection quite a bit sometimes. So I want to host the large files elsewhere, but I just keep running into issues because no one wants to host 30 gigs of files without having a website on the same server etc. I think MediaFire will be the one.

Old 04-06-2016, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post

what I was talking about though was say you download a 2GB dfx2 mod
and the server is reset or there is an interruption in the download at about 1 gb or half way thru the download...now you have an unusable partial down load just wasting hdd space and that has used up 1 gb of your free bandwidth that comes with your website that is being hosted by joe blow
web services... and to complete the download you must re download again... and walaaaa... a 2 gb download statistically is now 3 gb download
and when your free bandwidth is used up...a. they deny access to the site or b they charge you for additional bandwidth ... so a solution is to A. find a host for the files that has no restrictions or B. have a resume feature on the website downloads ...resume lets a website visitor or member resume the failed download where it left off saving on band width usage...the problem with hosting files on an other site or linking to the file on its home site is
websites go dark and you lose the files and resources forever...I am a firm believer of having the files in a download section be 100 % on site...I hope the hoste you will be using to file share with works out... did you know that digital river is owned by Microsoft...which means no mater where you go you cant escape Microsoft and they didn't just stick their finger in the Pie the they did it American pie style....heheheheeheh
FYI
14TB 7200 rpm HDD

CHEVRON 7 Unlocked
Old 04-06-2016, 10:28 PM
Scott is offline Scott
AKA. Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsmellyfart View Post
what I was talking about though was say you download a 2GB dfx2 mod
and the server is reset or there is an interruption in the download at about 1 gb or half way thru the download...now you have an unusable partial down load just wasting hdd space and that has used up 1 gb of your free bandwidth that comes with your website that is being hosted by joe blow
web services... and to complete the download you must re download again... and walaaaa... a 2 gb download statistically is now 3 gb download
and when your free bandwidth is used up...a. they deny access to the site or b they charge you for additional bandwidth ... so a solution is to A. find a host for the files that has no restrictions or B. have a resume feature on the website downloads ...resume lets a website visitor or member resume the failed download where it left off saving on band width usage...the problem with hosting files on an other site or linking to the file on its home site is
websites go dark and you lose the files and resources forever...I am a firm believer of having the files in a download section be 100 % on site...I hope the hoste you will be using to file share with works out... did you know that digital river is owned by Microsoft...which means no mater where you go you cant escape Microsoft and they didn't just stick their finger in the Pie the they did it American pie style....heheheheeheh
FYI
I think Mediafire actually has the resume feature so we should be good with that

Old 04-06-2016, 10:32 PM

Biggrin re

Great...
14TB 7200 rpm HDD

CHEVRON 7 Unlocked
Old 04-06-2016, 11:33 PM
Guest001 is offline Guest001

Media Fire is the Good Oil then...

BTW I double checked and that server I mentioned is actually $29 US for 3 Months
Old 04-13-2016, 01:22 PM
SilentTrigger is offline SilentTrigger
-1PARA-

Know the issue of the so called unlimited bandwidth, I didn't trust it before and I would never trust it again. Always opted for full 100/100 ports on servers when I had them, that way you know you had the 100 up and that's what you got, nothing less and nothing more, it did cost though

Now I only run a photo site so I don't have to think about that anymore and also for my gameserver at home I have a 100 upload unmetered and I'm no where near that for only game servers.

My photography website