Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Off-Topic > General Chat

General Chat Talk about anything that does not fit into other topics here.

Old 10-04-2002, 04:41 AM
DeDRAGE is offline DeDRAGE

Flash Intro

Im looking for someone willing to help out with a flash Intro. I posted for df intros But no response. Anyone in here help? Its pretty stimple flash will give details. Email me if you are intrested in helping. Thanks dedonrage@usa.com

Old 10-04-2002, 12:13 PM
DevilDog#1 is offline DevilDog#1

Please look @ this place if no one helps you out. Thanks.

Quote:
If I don't do that doesn't mean I can't - DD#1
Old 10-04-2002, 03:45 PM

Yea thanks bro may look into doing it myself. I have the Swish that I build it in. But for somereason its too large. 56kers would have a hard time loading it. So looking to redo it.

Old 10-04-2002, 11:18 PM
Ian M is offline Ian M

FACT: Most 56kers find any Flash based multimedia content such as intro movies with sound etc a bind to download.

If you are honestly concerned about 56k access (and as a conscientious web designer you should be), then you either have to set up a preloader so at least they know they gunna be waiting or embed your flash in some HTML with a great big fat hyperlink so they can skip intro .

The main reason for a flash movie to be too large to be worth 56k download in these intro thingys is that the background music. Imagine if you were just asking them to download the MP3 of whatever sounds you were using.

If that would be too much then your Flash will be too.
Flash 5 and 6 enable you to reduce the quality of any sound which significantly reduces the files size of the finished flash.
I don't use Swift so I couldnt comment on whether it allows you to do the same. Its always a fine balancing act between getting the sound and the file size just right.

FACT: Most flash intros are one offs and most flash intros are rubbish.

Think about how much you really need the intro in the first place. If you think you do try and keep it as short as possible. 30 seconds to one minute maximum.

If you dont think your website demands an intro then take a tip for ~VS~Stealth and make flash presentations instead. That way, just as in the Viper Squadron website http://vs.dfhq.com/ you can link directly to your Flash alongside information on how big the file actually is.
That way you give 56kers the chance to make their own choice without imposing it on them and putting them off.

Here is an example of a short presentation that I did against some original music made by a friend of mine.
Short sweet and to the point and also embedded in HTML so I could put links outside the flash for people that dont want to view the flash to navigate with, if I needed to.
It also has a preloader so at least they can see something happen.
LOL one guy did have the preloader stuck once though, he thought the file must have been massive when in actual fact it was just not working for some reason.

http://www.zza1pqx.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/jab.html

BTW this particular flash is one third of a megabyte in size. Thats because it was designed to be viewed by the guy that made the music and so it is made with the music at highest possible quality.
I Imagine I could get the file size down to about a quarter of that if I reduced the sound quality, without the end user being adversly affected or even that bothered.
Old 10-04-2002, 11:23 PM
Ian M is offline Ian M

BTW I just checked your site and your intro is top banana.
I do think the sound effect is the most likley cause for file size being too big though.
Old 10-05-2002, 12:26 AM

The intro I want is not even as big as the goofy one on my old site. Its very small I think making it in Flash is the way to go. I was making it in Swish. And no it doesnt give me that option of changing the quality for size. Hopefully Mon I can get it built in Flash and be done with it. Thanks for the input guys.

Old 10-07-2002, 03:35 PM
XenoMorpH is offline XenoMorpH

I use Swish for making complete sites and intro's I could make a flash intro for ur site tho, can make it very small in size.
The sound problem is just because of the quality of the mp3 file which ahs been inbedded. Just compresse the mp3 file as much as possible, untill it's abouut 22kHz.

Just mail me and explain ur intro's needs, and I'll try to make 1. LOL, don't send any mp3-files along, otherwise my hotmail will be full!

[AMD Phenom 9850][2Gig 1066MHz DDR2 @1100MHz][ATI Radeon 4870X2][19" IIYAMA Prolite E480S Flatpanel]
Old 10-13-2002, 02:57 AM

Guys Xeno made me an awesome intro. Props on his great work. Thanks alot bro. If anyone wants to view it click on my sig.

Old 10-13-2002, 08:12 AM
-cf- is offline -cf-

Send a message via ICQ to -cf- Send a message via AIM to -cf-
Very nice job Xeno!

l33t Squad
Old 10-13-2002, 09:03 AM
Steve is offline Steve
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Steve
hehe not bad
Old 10-13-2002, 11:05 AM
Matt is offline Matt

Administrator

Send a message via MSN to Matt
Not bad.

Click here for the official member status images!

Quote:
Originally posted by Panther
For your sence of free speech, we will control how much you have here .
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve
fak i clicked it to lol.

the message "this will disable it" should have been put before

sorry
Old 10-14-2002, 12:08 AM
XenoMorpH is offline XenoMorpH

No tnx at all m8, wasn't a problem at all to help a fellow DF player out. Any1 else need a flash intro? LOL, not everybody at the same time plz

[AMD Phenom 9850][2Gig 1066MHz DDR2 @1100MHz][ATI Radeon 4870X2][19" IIYAMA Prolite E480S Flatpanel]