Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Novahq.net Specific > Feedback / Novahq.net Support
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Feedback / Novahq.net Support Feedback & Questions for the staff

View Poll Results: Want a NEW map RATING system
YES, with comments to go with RATING 4 44.44%
NO, leave it alone 5 55.56%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-18-2005, 01:02 PM
Dragonator is offline Dragonator

MMMMM MAP Ratings ? ? ?

The rating system on this site is no where near as good as www.nova-inside.com 's rating system, do you guys just look at the PIC and read the comment that is uploaded with the maps or wot ? Cos some of the maps that are uploaded are not fairly checked lol.

do u guys have any ORGANIZED map raters for rating them properly ? As in thats all they do on the staff at nova inside, they are to check atleast 4 maps a week, and also they give comments as to why that rating was given in the first place.

1 of the maps I had recently uploaded was The Frenzy Revisited and I had FIXED all the floating objects and changed it slightly as it was my first map, and it was given a 2 star rating same as the original.

The original did deserve the 2 star rating it was given as in floaty objects and No atmosphere, but now it has no floating objects and plenty of atmosphere for gamplay and yet the bad rating.

This is not ment to offend, just an opinion and should be treated as such.

I am sure map makers like myself would like to see more interaction on the map makers side, as in a better rating system with comments on playability and design as to why that rating was given in the first place.

Old 05-18-2005, 01:12 PM
VampY is offline VampY

as a map maker myself i feel ur comments r justified and so i have voted a yes on ur pole
map makers take a lot of time and effort to make their maps and would value a genuin coment from a supposed expert lol
no offence meant lol
i know that this would take up alot of ur time but what the hell lol
Old 05-18-2005, 01:16 PM
-Tigger- is offline -Tigger-
BB

ratings that are given by sites do no necessarily fullfil the views of every1 who plays the maps, for example a 5 star map might look nice but no one likes it

ive made about 50+ maps for bhd/jo and ive found that the ratings given r right.

also there is a section where users/downloaders can add a comment to the map and give it their own rating and views..

reviewing maps and taking time to make a decent view of it would take 15mins roughly, now think of all the maps submitted weekly for 6 different games, thats alot of time and time that ppl just dont have

also - nova-inside is a different site, this is novahq and the staff hav their way of running the map system which is excellent

Old 05-18-2005, 01:23 PM
Matt is offline Matt

Administrator

Send a message via MSN to Matt
when novahq first started out panther actually uploaded all the maps played all of them, and rated them that way. as we receive a ton of maps per day none of us have the time or energy to review all those maps. the system we have now judges directly from the SS. we have said in the past dont go by our ratings, look at the SS, play the map and decide for urself. thats also why we have the new feature called 'A Closer Look', there users can comment on the map and give their own personal ranting.

Click here for the official member status images!

Quote:
Originally posted by Panther
For your sence of free speech, we will control how much you have here .
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve
fak i clicked it to lol.

the message "this will disable it" should have been put before

sorry
Old 05-18-2005, 01:24 PM

nova inside have STAFF JUST for map rating dude only, and they rate maps for only 1 type of game each, and do as u say, run round for 15 or 20mins and take a good look at it.
and rate it accordingly as to CUSTOM build, object placement etc.

there are peeps out there that are willing to do it lol.

all u have to do is advertise on the site for map raters for each of the games to rate atleast 4 or 5 maps a week.

And to create a more decisive rating system.

Old 05-18-2005, 01:29 PM

COULD try ADVERTISE on HOME page

U could just ADVERTISE on ya HOME page for map raters who are willing to do just that for each of the games and to create a new rating system. JUST to see if u get any responce to the PLACEMENTS for raters ? ?

Old 05-18-2005, 01:31 PM
-Tigger- is offline -Tigger-
BB

i can remember it was brought up before within the staff, but was decided that the "A closer look" function would save time, since in there ppl could write a review, add comments and give it a rating 1-5, this saved peoples time so that they could get on with their business....
Old 05-18-2005, 01:42 PM
Steve is offline Steve
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Steve
maps are rated as stated i.e. from the pic/description etc, we do not pretend otherwise.

after 2 years of trying to get ppl to rate maps we gave up and have the system we have now.

ultimately it means the submitted maps are on the site potentially in a matter of seconds of being submitted. some map makers prefer this.

if you don't like the rating system or can't take a low score then don't submit your maps :/

what's a rating anyway? someone's opinion, it is just as likely that ppl disagree about that then things are no different.

we just provide a host for maps, take it or leave it.
Old 05-18-2005, 01:43 PM
DevilDog#1 is offline DevilDog#1

I know what you mean Steve... Reviewed over 200 TFD maps once in a day and didn't look at the game for 4 days after that! LOL!!

Quote:
If I don't do that doesn't mean I can't - DD#1
Old 05-18-2005, 01:55 PM
Dr. Bullet is offline Dr. Bullet

Send a message via ICQ to Dr. Bullet
I used to be a map reviewer...it takes forever (for a real review), and you usually end up rating the maps against each other, rather than rating the actual quality of the map.

What I liked to do when I was mapping was get a few buddies together to play them, then have them review it. That way you have fresh opinions, and the map is being rated for whether it's fun or not, not if it's better than some other map.
Old 05-18-2005, 01:59 PM
VampY is offline VampY

we take the time to make these maps and upload them to ur site to keep people coming back for more
if u dont give a fair rating then people dont download
most people myself included went by the ratings when we downloaded(i dont now of coarse )so i missed some good maps
it wasnt till later that i thought what the hell ill give the 2s&3s a look and found some of my fav maps
i feel if the staff took the time to at least look at the map rather than the screen shot the ratings would go up.
for some maps that ive made it hasnt been posible to take an all sing all dancing screen shot so rating by this method should not be done.
i dont mean to offend any 1 about this i know u all have great and wonderful things to do with ur time but what harm can 5 mins per map do if u spread them around :-)
Old 05-18-2005, 02:20 PM
Matt is offline Matt

Administrator

Send a message via MSN to Matt
Quote:
Originally posted by VampY
i thought what the hell ill give the 2s&3s a look and found some of my fav maps
exactly our point, download them, and click 'A Closer Look' and let us know what u think about them.

and i highly doubt people will stop downloading our maps, since our system has been like this for years and we have had at this time 1,162,038 maps downloaded in 2005, and already 566 today.

we agree with u if we play the maps they may get better ratings, but we simpily do not have the time to do it. more than likely it wont happen in the future. but we are currently discussing our rating system in our private forums to see if there is any way we can improve on it.

thanks for ur input and we hope that u still submit ur maps to us

Click here for the official member status images!

Quote:
Originally posted by Panther
For your sence of free speech, we will control how much you have here .
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve
fak i clicked it to lol.

the message "this will disable it" should have been put before

sorry
Old 05-18-2005, 02:51 PM
Scott is offline Scott
AKA. Panther

I've personally reviewed by and (Playing each map) about 2,000 maps on this site... I did it for 2 years, and now we get at least 20 maps per day, if not more. We simply cannot review all the maps that come in and NO ONE is willing to do it. We have tried and tried many times before. I do not have the time to do it, and neither do any of the staff here. Nova-inside may have a few people that review the maps personally but they do not get the quanity of maps that we get, and I doubt there map raters would do that quanity if they did, consistantly for months on end. It takes ALOT of time to review each map, I spent hours, or a full saturdays to get 50-100 maps done.. Add it took 2-3 weeks after submission to get the maps up and able for download..

More people complained about that then anything, so we gave up with map reviews. People got mad at our reviews etc. We'll continue to give maps a rating by the screen shot and let you write a description for your map, and we'll find a better way to let people know how we rate the maps.

Maybe we'll stop rating all together, and only have user submitted ratings, we don't know yet.

04' Dodge SRT-4, Mopar Stage 3, 406whp/436wtq
Old 05-18-2005, 04:07 PM
Hellfighter is offline Hellfighter
Chief ADFP

Send a message via ICQ to Hellfighter
i my self am a map maker think a poll is good and most members/users of them maps do vote on them.

as for making remark what could make a map better will think a user or another map maker could give a tip or ask for info by PM the person who made the map or by e-mail them.
===========================================
all my are uploaded to dfbarrack.com really don't like nova-inside.com to much no hard feel only it don't suit me thats all, and as for NovaHq.net will have not made any new maps in a long time if i did i'll post them here and dfbarrak.com site. i like how it setup.

making a remark about the map is not really needed, most case it flaming the map marker and not saying how it could be better or how to fix things in it. rating is better by the users.

to help make a map better or ask a map maker how they do something in a map think it better PM or E-mail them.
*Discord: Unknown77#7121
Playing now days: EA Games> swtor [star wars old republic]

Last edited by Hellfighter; 05-18-2005 at 04:20 PM.
Old 05-18-2005, 04:55 PM
Lakie is offline Lakie

More to the point, we found that the map rating teams came back with much the same score if not lower than what we would rate it as, infact we found that map raters that went into the map were more picky and actually tried to find something wrong, rather than look at the map as a whole and balancing the good with the bad.

I reckon most users look at the comments and reviews rather than our score before downloading a map...
Old 05-29-2005, 01:03 PM
Trojan is offline Trojan
honest toil

Send a message via ICQ to Trojan Send a message via AIM to Trojan Send a message via Yahoo to Trojan
All of NHQ Tournaments are stock maps only. I personally want squads to master playing stock maps for our competitions. Custom Maps don't make or break a great site.

••• 26th MEUSOC 940311 93-95MySpace •••
Old 05-29-2005, 02:12 PM
JonM is offline JonM

i think that if you can code and come up with a staff to review the maps, you should go buy a site and put up somewhere else other than recieveing the same answer every time you post... "not right now" ...
Old 05-29-2005, 03:35 PM
Hellfighter is offline Hellfighter
Chief ADFP

Send a message via ICQ to Hellfighter
the map rating system is good as the players who use the map should rate it, there no need for a whole new staff to rate 100s of maps. gee i can see wasting lot of time rate maps starting with DF1 and working your way up to DF: Xtreme, should be left to the members who should rate it and put their word on it when they rate the maps they downloaded.......

will thats always going to be the bug in the soup, if some one hate the map maker big deal -1 vote to 200+ for it. or the other way around 20+ for it even if the map made badly thier going to be like 200+ or more who told the truth about it ether it great or its really badly made.
*Discord: Unknown77#7121
Playing now days: EA Games> swtor [star wars old republic]
Old 05-29-2005, 08:28 PM
miaebow is offline miaebow

Send a message via Yahoo to miaebow
Wink

Rating maps is a subjective matter really, I mean how many times have you read a bad review on a movie but found you loved it. Having said that though, if this site is only rating my maps by looking at the pic and reading the comments, I'd prefer you didn't rate them at all. As stated earlier, maps take a lot of time and effort and should be looked upon as work done on your behalf as well as our own.

Take the map I've just submitted, which is called "Fortress" that one took me three days. If so much effort has been put into making these things, then surely they deserve a little more attention. I'm not complaining here, as I'm fairly happy with the way you deal with maps, but please don't treat us unfairly by judging a map by its picture.

Incidently, does anyone in the general public ever give a comment on the maps they download. lol
Old 05-29-2005, 10:07 PM
JonM is offline JonM

your point is well but as stated .. but they get about 20 + maps a day to look at, for all different games, and then after all that, they have to look around for an 30 minutes to decide? are you insane! If you think another site is better go to it, suggestions are welcome but clearly the answer is "we'll look into but not at the moment..."
Closed Thread