Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Games > Delta Force

Delta Force Anything to do with the Delta Force series of games, DF1, DF2, LW, TFD, BHD, DFX, AF etc.

Old 10-03-2020, 02:21 AM
Verok is offline Verok

Send a message via ICQ to Verok
OpenGL patches for DF1 / DF2

Hi everyone, I'm new member here. I've made graphc patch for Dela Force 1 & 2, which replaces legacy DirectDraw by OpenGL for modern OSs. It fixes several window issues in windowed mode and also adds widescreen support for both games. So no more graphics compability modes are needed.

Patch is working only with latest versions of the games. So make sure you have the latest one by updating your game via Novalogic Update Wizzard.

Fixes & features:
  • Propper launching on Windows 8/8.1/10
  • Games render via OpenGL
  • Games can now easily switch into windowed/fullscreen mode
  • Mouse is working in gameplay with windowed mode
  • Game window is resizable in windowed mode
  • 1024x768 screen resolution can now be selected in settings menu, or via 'V' key in gameplay mode
  • Propper image aspect ratio for widescreen monitors
  • Added fixes from the NovaHQ website (Lobby fix / Voice Over Network fix / Startup.htm)
  • Removed CD check
  • Packages include original intro movies, this is helpful for playing without CD or GOG release, which doesn't have intro for DF1

Examples:
Some widescreen examples

Donwloads:
7zip SFX archives. Just run and extract it to your game folder
More info:
You might check my blog here for more info

P.S. Hope this patch will be helpful for DF fans

Last edited by Scott; 10-07-2020 at 07:55 AM.
Old 10-05-2020, 07:51 AM
Scott is offline Scott
AKA. Panther

Well done! I'll add these patches to the downloads area as well. Thanks!

04' Dodge SRT-4, Mopar Stage 3, 406whp/436wtq
Old 10-05-2020, 11:57 AM
Steve is offline Steve
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Steve
Thanks for the effort in making these Verok
Old 10-06-2020, 05:59 AM
Verok is offline Verok

Thanks Scott. It will be great

Thanks Steve for your comment on YouTube
Old 10-06-2020, 12:28 PM
cambreaKer is offline cambreaKer

woah! that's awesome! definitely will replay the classic games with this!
Old 10-06-2020, 12:32 PM

also i noticed something, the link for df1gl downloads df2gl and df2gl link downloads df1gl so you might want to fix that
Old 10-06-2020, 01:11 PM

made a steam guide for your patch so that more people will know about it https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...?id=2250049648
Old 10-06-2020, 11:56 PM
Verok is offline Verok

Tahnk you cambreaKer. I've fixed tihs on my blog, but I think I can't edit post here. So if someone can edit it, please do it.
Old 10-07-2020, 07:55 AM
Scott is offline Scott
AKA. Panther

I fixed the links for you

04' Dodge SRT-4, Mopar Stage 3, 406whp/436wtq
Old 10-07-2020, 06:05 PM
hunterz is offline hunterz
aka DUZ

Send a message via ICQ to hunterz Send a message via AIM to hunterz
Hey Verok, I'm DUZ on Youtube. Again: Good job!

I will continue to point out some things here:
1. If you could unlock more than 60 FPS, would be awesome. Even with 60 hertz in your monitor you'll feel it a lot smoother. It happens in CSGO where I currently work as pro coach (ex player). And it would make things even better for who has 144 or 240hz monitors, like me and others.

2. You said in YT that the biggest problem atm to increase the voxels subdivisions is the memory, which is a known thing also reported by Scott and other community members. I really hope you achieve that 'unlock'! DF1 feels heavier with 1024x768 and it has some glitches like objects disappearing, probably caused by the lack of memory. I'm a newbie in this matter, but I've heard about a software called CFF Explorer where you can edit the file header to handle more than 2GB ram. I saw this in Youtube, something like "How to increase old gamers performance".

3. Now with OpenGL, Is it possible to use ReShade or other programs to achieve some post processing features like Antialiasing etc? I tried here but DF.exe doesn't open. I also tried to force FXAA through the Nvidia panel... but nothing happens.

4. Here's a comparison (different from the one I posted on YouTube) between DF1 1024x768 with and without your patch.
Images taken using a phone: https://imgsli.com/MjQ3Njc
With the patch, the game is not streched anymore and you can clearly see it while comparing the crosshair and the radar circle, but the downside of it is the loss of some screen information in the vertical ends. Now you can barely see the model hands. I think this is a decent trade-of, I thought it was worse. Nice Verok!

5. Check this LOD thing: https://youtube.com/watch?v=meYhz1RbiqQ
I don't know if knowing this you can achieve any voxel improvement, I thought it was worth showing.

GL! Keep us updated :P

Last edited by hunterz; 10-07-2020 at 10:16 PM.
Old 10-08-2020, 10:23 PM
Verok is offline Verok

1. 60fps is max what my screen can handle. It's smooth enogh. I can't feel smother even 1000fps, because game doesn't skip any frame and my screen can't produce any extra frame. CS:GO might uses some motion blur effects or post processing shaders for 60FPS screens. But DF is too old for this.
Anyway, all DF actions and animations linearly based on previous state (previous frame), it doesnt take into account previous time. Time is only checking in main game loop. So if I'll make FPS twilce as much - any NPC will run twice faster and any animation will play the same, twice faster. Even mouse movement iwill be twice faster. This is the way old game were developed. Thats why we see frames lags with low fps, but not frames skipping. This is visible even on my youtube video. Sorry, but It's impossible to find all action codes without souce code.

2. 2Gb limits it's a different thing. Game has been developed in time of 8-32Mb of RAM. In "static memory allocation" I meant that alocated memory is defined in compile time, and it's hards to understand what and how much game memory needs for each resource now. Sorry it's hard to explain for regular users, but developers and rev. engenars should understand what I mean

3. Sorry, I can't check ReShade as it requires OpenGL 4.5 and my limit is 4.0. So ReShade does'n work for me

4. As I wrote in YT comment, widescreen support is based on DF1 F12 key mode. I just added stretching to fullscreen and dynamic recalculation for 16:10 or any other wide screens. But for 16:9 screen it's looking the same
as original F12 mode but stretched to fullscreen.
For DF2 I imported the same thing, as DF2 doesnt have any widescreen mode.
Yes wide mode is cropped 4:3 mode. But to increase horisontal FOV we need increase hoisontal resolution. For example for 1024x768 it sould be 1366px. But here is the same memory limitation as I described in pt 2. Memory is statically alocated for max 1024 px per row.

5. I haven't check it yet, but I think to increase lod distance will have the same problem as in pt 2 and 4.

Conclusion. For all these we need totally rewrite whole Voxel Engine or maybe ask Novalogic for original source codes for each game
Old 10-11-2020, 06:43 AM
Steve is offline Steve
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Steve
think we did enquire about the source code at some point. it was very difficult to get hold of anyone from Novalogic, even when they still existed
Old 10-12-2020, 04:50 PM

i just played delta force 2 with the patch and i found that the underwater pistol has a broken hud icon after installing the patch

Last edited by cambreaKer; 10-12-2020 at 04:54 PM. Reason: image was too big
Old 10-12-2020, 05:22 PM
Verok is offline Verok

Thanks cambreaKer. Seems like this problem appears without patch too. It related to locked 1024x768 resolution. With lower resolution everything is ok.

Thanks again. I'll take a look what a can do here
Old 10-12-2020, 06:15 PM
Verok is offline Verok

Quote:
Originally Posted by cambreaKer View Post
i just played delta force 2 with the patch and i found that the underwater pistol has a broken hud icon after installing the patch
Fixed. Download patch again
Old 10-15-2020, 05:20 PM
dmux is offline dmux

Amazing work Verok!

After extracting the files and placing them in my installation folder, I seem to be having trouble joining multiplayer games: a few seconds after clicking on a game link in the lobby, I'm directed to a page that says "Thanks for playing DF2." Has anyone else had this issue?
Old 10-18-2020, 12:47 PM
dmux is offline dmux

Issue after patching

Thank you for the patch Verok. I seem to be running into an issue after installing it however. Upon clicking a lobby game link, instead of joining the server I immediately get redirected to a page that says "Thanks for Playing." Has anyone else run into this issue and resolved it?
Old 10-18-2020, 03:05 PM
DFXdemo is offline DFXdemo
Banned

I cant join mp in dfxdemo and land warrior full ver
Old 10-19-2020, 01:20 AM
hunterz is offline hunterz
aka DUZ

Send a message via ICQ to hunterz Send a message via AIM to hunterz
Have you tested dgVoodoo? I tested and added AA+Sharpen through the Nvidia Panel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N51ccrUOnX0
I'm not sure about the pros cans cons...
Old 10-19-2020, 09:25 AM
dmux is offline dmux

Got it working

After some troubleshooting I've got the patch working correctly.

My issue was that I had run the DF2 updater as well as applied the DF2 Fixer patches.

After uninstalling and reinstalling:

(1) Run DF updater.
(2) Copy all the files from the DF2 OpenGL patch into the DF2 installation directory.
(3) ** Done, no other patches required **