Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Computers > Tech Support

Tech Support Have a problem? Maybe we can help!

Old 05-30-2022, 03:04 AM
SUICIDESQUAD is offline SUICIDESQUAD

Can you edit the original missions on DFBHDTS (pls reply)

Can you edit the original missions on DFBHDTS beacause I would love to mess with the original maps if there's a way to edit these official mission by the game pls reply
Old 05-30-2022, 04:56 PM
Baldo_the_Don is offline Baldo_the_Don

There are tools available on this site that you can use to extract the mission files from the .pff, other tools for converting the .bms files to editable .mis files, and some resources where somebody (Eagle_Eye himself, possibly), converted the stock .bms files and uploaded the .mis files. Search around.

But...

Converting .bms files is not a perfected science, and area trigger / sound location problems will make you tear out your hair.

Then there's the .ain file problem. AI navigation files allow AIs in the stock mission to get around things like hallways, staircases, and bushes. We think. No one actually knows how .ain files work, an .ain file creation or reading tool does not exist for DFBHDTS, and none ever seems to be coming.

I bring this up 'cause I've had a tiny bit of experience with AI navigation node creation in MechWarrior 4: Mercenaries and the Vampire Slayer VI mod for Half-Life. When you edit a stock map, relocating, adding, or deleting any items are changes that will not be reflected in the .ain file, and may affect AI movement in mission.

Also, editing sound in mission .lwf files is really tricky, and I've rarely found it satisfying.

Music is a nightmare.

So, yes, editing stock missions is possible and educational, and I wish you joy of it.

Important note: DO NOT ALTER ORIGINAL .PFF FILES! MP servers will detect those edits and you'll get kicked and possibly banned.