Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Computers > Tech Support

Tech Support Have a problem? Maybe we can help!

Old 12-08-2004, 01:52 AM
JimDirt is offline JimDirt

Send a message via ICQ to JimDirt
Norton Ghost-XP

Has anyone ever used Norton Ghost to clone a hard drive?? , i have 2 hard drives , and i want to clone/mirror the contents of my 60gig to my 250gig , i have tried and it transfers all the desktop/programs/email settings , basically everything ,EXCEPT 2 items , the System Info(start/program files/accessories/system tools/system info) all it shows is the drive(F) and nothing else , no motherboard etc , etc ,
and it will not boot unless the other drive(60gig) is attached it hangs at the Windows load screen (where the strobe lights run across the screen under the Windows-XP logo)( so basically the boot sector or whatever files are needed to launch Windows ,is missing
As long as the other hd is attached it will run and function, but my main reason for doing this was to use this drive for my main drive and use the 60 for my backup , (should one of the drives fail ,i can boot to the other and recover any data ,etc) , anyway , i read the booklet, and went to Symantic website and looked at everything i could find on issues, but found nothing with my problem ,and everything the books/manuals said to do i either did or could not locate the items they referred to , (tools for example) , also this is now part of my Norton System Works , so i guess the functions dont work the same as they do as a stand alone program , but it still should do the same thing , so "how do i get EVERYTHING EXACTLY thats on my 60 gig to clone/mirror to the 250 gig , so it will be a EXACT copy and fully functional system

I called their Tech Support on the phone and spent 1 1/2 hrs on hold before i got to a tech, then he told me to try to reinstall it then call back, well i reinstalled and called, and spent 3 1/2 hrs on hold (listening to elevator music)waiting for a tech to answer the phone and got tired of waiting, , i have emailed them and havnt gotten a reponse , so im looking elsewhere for answers
what exactly am i supposed to do to get it to copy/mirror EVERYTHING EXACTLY ??? without tearing my hair out!
FX-6800-Ultra-256-81.95
Direct-X-9.c
SoundBlaster Live 24-bit
2048 Corsair pc3200-400mHz-DualChannel
MadDog-PurePower-550watt-ps
5000dn / 500up - Cable
Old 12-08-2004, 07:06 AM
Steve is offline Steve
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Steve
i can't help much here sry but which version of gostie m8?

the older versions just copy the whole thing, but with the newer one u can choose what u want to restore. it could be an option with that?

really symantec should be able to give an idea, but clearly their tech support hasn't a clue, hence telling you to reinstall it and ring back... a classic call centre trick to pass a caller onto another person.

if ur still stuck later then you should consider another proggy, i'm sure u can get freeware that does the same kind of stuff
Old 12-08-2004, 11:28 AM

its version 9.0 its the latest version, and the options it says it has in the manual u can use , dont show up anywhere because when it intigrates with Norton System Works , it changes the layout ,from what i see, (there is no TOOLS menu like it says in the manual)but the options should still be available, but i cant find them
FX-6800-Ultra-256-81.95
Direct-X-9.c
SoundBlaster Live 24-bit
5000dn / 500up - Cable
Old 12-08-2004, 05:40 PM
Scott is offline Scott
AKA. Panther

Have you tried running ghost in safe mode? Thats when you press F8 100 times in a row while you reboot your computer. Then select safe mode. Maybe give that a shot.. I have stand alone ghost if you need to try something else..

04' Dodge SRT-4, Mopar Stage 3, 406whp/436wtq
Old 12-08-2004, 05:54 PM

Its weird ! i decided to just try a reinstall of windows, i did and all the settings in the System Info were there, but it removed some of my settings like my XP Theme , so i shut down and booted off the other drive and did a clone to get all my settings back , WELL ! all my settings came back but now my System Info is missing again, so im stumped , as when it intigrates with Norton System Works 2003 ,it seems to loose some ability to select which files i want to transfer, as everyone i have talked to has said that when they use it by itself , it transfers EVERYTHING ! so i guess im stuck with how it is , and if my other drive fails i would have to use a boot disk to start my PC everytime unless i can figure a way to restore the info it keeps removing when i clone,(though if its supposed to clone , meaning a exact copy , then i dont get why it keeps removing those items) ,

Anyone know how to get the system info back ?? it says the sys info files are a( .nfo file ), but when i do a search for it in windows it says file does not exist , so im stumped
FX-6800-Ultra-256-81.95
Direct-X-9.c
SoundBlaster Live 24-bit
5000dn / 500up - Cable