Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Games > Delta Force

Delta Force Anything to do with the Delta Force series of games, DF1, DF2, LW, TFD, BHD, DFX, AF etc.

Old 12-28-2022, 01:08 PM
Danilov is offline Danilov
DF Danilov

Delta Force 2 Map Editor Help

I have some questions regarding the map editor.

1) Is there any way that you can bypass the briefing 250 character limit?
2) Can you add an image when you select the mission in game( i remember seeing a map someone created that had an image in game but can't find it anymore)?
3) Can you add a map when you select the mission in game (like in quick missions or campaign)?
4) Can you add a sound when playing the briefing (like in quick missions or campaign)?
5) Can you add a lengthier mission name (similar to quick missions)?
Old 06-22-2023, 10:32 PM
--BulletMagnet-- is offline --BulletMagnet--
DF2 Forever

Send a message via MSN to --BulletMagnet--
1) I believe you can add a longer briefing by editing the df2brief.bin file (inside the df2.pff file) using the BIN Editor
2) Add a .tga image with the same filename as the .bms file.
3) I think this is what the "Briefing Map Center" marker is for in the MED.
4) I don't recall this one. It's probably some combination of .wav files in df2.pff or terrains.pdf.
5) See #1

I haven't done these things in quite a while, thus the vague info. If you happen to read this and need more help, let me know!
Old 06-24-2023, 06:36 AM
Creator is offline Creator

Yes, I managed to put the TGA image at the beginning of the mission by inserting the file with the mission name inside the DF2.pff file, unfortunately there is a problem...if you gave your mission a long enough name it will fail to enter the pff file. by excess of letters. So I immediately thought that the solution was to edit the DF2briefing file by putting the name of the mission, the briefings, etc. Unfortunately, there is a problem here too...the strings available in the BIN editor "VARIABLE" section are the default ones of the campaign so for example "D03M05", "D06M08" etc. and I can not add more to put the name of my custom mission in the space below. Does anyone have a solution? Is there a way to add more strings so I can edit the BIN for my DF2 mission? This would solve both the problem of images and briefings.
Old 06-24-2023, 03:38 PM
jabo1SFH is offline jabo1SFH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creator View Post
Yes, I managed to put the TGA image at the beginning of the mission by inserting the file with the mission name inside the DF2.pff file, unfortunately there is a problem...if you gave your mission a long enough name it will fail to enter the pff file. by excess of letters. So I immediately thought that the solution was to edit the DF2briefing file by putting the name of the mission, the briefings, etc. Unfortunately, there is a problem here too...the strings available in the BIN editor "VARIABLE" section are the default ones of the campaign so for example "D03M05", "D06M08" etc. and I can not add more to put the name of my custom mission in the space below. Does anyone have a solution? Is there a way to add more strings so I can edit the BIN for my DF2 mission? This would solve both the problem of images and briefings.
df2 has a character limit on file names to 11 characters not including the extension. example: bigbadwolfy.bms, bigbadwolfy.tga, etc.

novalogic used those short names, "D03M05", to avoid long mission names within the .pff

i know this isnt a fixall, but it can help some of the small things that mappers would overlook at times.

Tags
df2, df2med, map editor