Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Computers > Web design and Programming

Web design and Programming Discuss website creation and other programming topics.

Old 03-06-2007, 05:41 PM
JonM is offline JonM

Interesting article: OOP or POO?

haha (ya this is like my 4th thread in a row, i need to slow down!)

http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/000801.html

kind of interesting
Old 03-06-2007, 05:55 PM
IcIshoot is offline IcIshoot

Send a message via AIM to IcIshoot Send a message via MSN to IcIshoot Send a message via Yahoo to IcIshoot
lol I don't know if I am programing according to OOP or not, I just do what ever it takes to get the application to do what I want

IcI
Old 03-06-2007, 07:25 PM
Scott is offline Scott
AKA. Panther

I vote for POO.. I dislike objects, specially people that code to impress everyone with the 'elegance' of there code... bah I'd 'get er done' in 5 lines . Quick and to the point for me..

04' Dodge SRT-4, Mopar Stage 3, 406whp/436wtq
Old 03-06-2007, 10:43 PM
JonM is offline JonM

ya i always thought oop was important because so many scripts have used it...however my lack of understanding and little desire to learn..plus this article..have led me to realize that getting it done is what matters, and if you have clean code who cares if it's OOP. PHP wasn't even meant to be OO anyways.
Old 03-07-2007, 07:24 AM
Capers is offline Capers

I'm currently in my first year of a degree in Computer Science, and have had OOP rammed down my throat in the first semester. There are obviously clear benefits to OOP but i do tend to agree with you guys that there are times where religious use of OOP principles are unnecessary. I started learning programming with PHP (as i think a few of you guys also did) so JAVA programming in my degree can be frustraiting as hell.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:18 AM
JonM is offline JonM

Quote:
Originally posted by Capers
I'm currently in my first year of a degree in Computer Science, and have had OOP rammed down my throat in the first semester. There are obviously clear benefits to OOP but i do tend to agree with you guys that there are times where religious use of OOP principles are unnecessary. I started learning programming with PHP (as i think a few of you guys also did) so JAVA programming in my degree can be frustraiting as hell.
my problem with OOP is i don't have college professors or teachers to ram it down my throat. I kinda wish I did just so I would understand half the opensoure programs out there (at least understand them in coding terms without the comments heh).

OOP seems like it could come in handy in some cases, but I've never truly understood it...and...i do want to understand. i'll have to take some college classes on it.