Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Computers > Web design and Programming

Web design and Programming Discuss website creation and other programming topics.

Old 10-21-2006, 01:09 PM
BlackVentur is offline BlackVentur

Smile What Should A GREAT Web Hosting Company Provide? How Can I Find Out....?

What Should A GREAT Web Hosting Company Provide? How Can I Find Out, And What Should I Look For....?

Web hosting these days can sometimes be expensive or costly and you really don't receive that much for what your paying for. Its hard to find great web hosting companies that actually work with the clients to make sure their hosting needs are met, and that they are receiving the most for their money. Hosting a website shouldn't cost you a arm or leg, it should be affordable to everyone, to give everyone who would like to experience the joy of owning a website.

A great web hosting company will provide the user and visitors a clean and easy navigation layout of the whole website. In most cases, if the site has a clean look and professional look, they are serious about high quality service and support. Hosting companies should also have some free services on the site as well. Who would want to pay for everything? Some things should be free on the web right? A excellent web hosting company will have services available on the site where you can either submit your newly or existing transfer site in search engines such as; Yahoo, Google, MSN, Ask, and etc. That shows that they are trying to help you, and aren't just worrying about getting your money. Other free services should include, forums, and support ticket systems. These allows clients as well as guest to be able to ask questions about any concerns they may have. If a web hosting company only has a "contact us" page, and no support ticket system, they aren't providing other methods where you can receive extra support on an issue you may have.

Forums come in really handy when you are searching for a great web hosting company. This provides you the chance to see up front what the service and support is like before you hand your money over. You can see how fast they respond to your post/s, and you can ever ask others on the forums what they think of the service. Not everything on the front page of web hosting companies are exactly true (quotes by others about the web hosting service).

Hosting companies should also provide new customers money back guarantees. Most provide from two weeks to two months. If a web hosting company doesn't provide a money back guarantee, that states that their only concern is getting your money, and probably don't care about rather you like the service or not. Good hosting companies will try to keep your stay with them for a long term, and to do that, they must provide wonderful support and services. If a hosting company takes the time to actually go beyond what you ask help with, or have concerns about, that shows that they put their customers before anything else prior to the company. Those are the companies to go with. Example, if you had a problem on your site, and you needed help with finding a solution, your hosting company should FIRST, try to visit your site, and try to fix the problem themselves, and if the problem can't be fixed by them, they should research or provide another solution on where you can find further help. That’s a A+ web hosting company, with more than asked for great support.

With that said, hosting should be made easy from anyone who is just starting out, up to advanced experienced users. Companies that go beyond the norm are the ones that’s going to make sure your spot on the web is taken care of with no other worries.

Robert Smith, Webmaster of HastyHost.com
Old 10-21-2006, 01:16 PM
Erik is offline Erik

You know...you could of added to the list of GROWING hosts at the top. Its a sticky.
Old 10-21-2006, 01:22 PM

Do you agree or disagree with the post?
I think I hit most of the important facts.

Thanks
Old 10-21-2006, 01:23 PM
-Tigger- is offline -Tigger-
BB

isnt this the 1 that went up a few months back with false testimony's (inculding 1 from NHQ, and 1 of ur own from ur auction site?.. oh and ur current 1 from df-ho is again a site that ur admin) and then disappeared?

:O?

gd write up tho
Old 10-21-2006, 01:25 PM

Can you please be more specfic, because I really have no clue on what your talking about. I know I do own df-ho.com, but I know this has nothing to do with that site.....???
Old 10-21-2006, 01:27 PM
Erik is offline Erik

Im pretty sure that BB is right...you or someone made up a bunch of false testies...its a shame...I almost considered you. Not really...I use dreamhost they have the best service I know of.
Old 10-21-2006, 01:30 PM

What....???? What am I lying about here? I haven't lied about anything I've posted nor have the intention to do so. I really am not to sure what BB was talking about, as the way its phrased I can't understand it.....

Can someone please explain whats going on?
Old 10-21-2006, 01:35 PM
Erik is offline Erik

In order to sell your site better someone or you created abunch of fake user responses to make your hosting look better. Thats what hes saying.
Old 10-21-2006, 01:44 PM

Whats wrong with rating my own site after getting other peoples opionions about it? Nothing fake about that. I've been hosted under HastyHost for about 2 months now, and everything is the way it's listed.

My intentions where not to draw others from this post to my hosting, that is an article I posted on ezine, and I was just sharing with you all. I'm glad you like dreamhost, and hope you continue to use them if they meet your needs. I'm just pointing out what good hosting companies should provide their users, and to clarify what I was talking about, I included the link of the site I'm webmaster at.
Old 10-21-2006, 04:43 PM
Scott is offline Scott
AKA. Panther

Ahhhh... I miss shared hosting... NOT. I'll gladly pay $200 a month rather then go back to that crap!

ps.. this is not directed to you BlackVentur..

04' Dodge SRT-4, Mopar Stage 3, 406whp/436wtq
Old 10-21-2006, 04:50 PM

What is shared hosting again? Whats the difference from shared to deciated..?
Old 10-21-2006, 04:53 PM
-Tigger- is offline -Tigger-
BB

shared = 1 server crammed full of clients (dreamhost is perhaps the most famous, shame they oversell)

dedicated = server located in a datacentre for 1 user
Old 10-21-2006, 04:55 PM

Ok I knew it was something like that.
Old 10-22-2006, 11:55 AM
SilentTrigger is offline SilentTrigger
-1PARA-

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott
Ahhhh... I miss shared hosting... NOT. I'll gladly pay $200 a month rather then go back to that crap!

ps.. this is not directed to you BlackVentur..
Ineed! I don't have that kind of money to spend on a Dedicated but it's well worth it, did have a dedicated at a point but it just got too expencive so I got a VPS instead, great, cheaper then dedicate, not as good but still better then shared (I crave more then I can recive from a shared so for casual users a shared account is a great choise!)

My photography website

Old 10-22-2006, 12:04 PM
Lakie is offline Lakie

BBs refering to the testimonial that you used to have up with the NHQ name. I will point out in Mr Smiths defence that he attributed the testimonial to its corrct author as soon at it was bought to his attention, at the time he was dealiing with us for other reasons and put our link in the wrong place, i dont suspect it was intentional...
Old 10-22-2006, 01:57 PM

Thanks Mike, I didn't know that was what they where talking about, but yes, that was a mistake I made, and as soon as Mike told me I changed it asap. The site was somewhat in its beta stage anyway, so everything wasn't fully correct.