Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Off-Topic > General Chat

General Chat Talk about anything that does not fit into other topics here.

Old 02-29-2008, 01:36 PM
SilentTrigger is offline SilentTrigger
-1PARA-

Studded tires?

Just checking how common it is in different countries with studded tires. Was wondering because of a recent political statements and "new" discoveries regarding people being dead because of them (or rather the asphalt), so they are thinking of limiting and having the same laws across Sweden, which of course is idiotic, it's different above the arctic circle compared to the most South parts .

But this is not about political decisions but rather how common studded tires is in different parts of the world (where there is snow and ice, so not interested in Florida but the northern parts of US are interesting )

My photography website

Old 02-29-2008, 01:51 PM
Steve is offline Steve
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Steve
noticed that when i went to Sweden, they saying the cars cant stop as fast on a regular road?
Old 02-29-2008, 02:03 PM
Lakie is offline Lakie

if your pedestrians are that bad that they are getting run over enough, or your dirvers are that bad that their running over enough people that they want to dissalow a certain type of tyre then that isnt good, sounds like you need to restrict who can go outside more than a certian type of tire...,
Old 02-29-2008, 02:13 PM
-1PARA-

Yes but thats not the cause of the "discovered" ill effect, it's that the metal studs dig up particles in the asphalt that are causing cancer etc. But the studs do increase stopping distance on bare asphalt quite a bit as the studs have nothing to grip in. But they are unbeatable on smooth ice and packed snow. Doesn't matter what they say, friction tires are not near the performance of studs on smooth ice. I've tried and friction tires are scary on smooth ice, while studded tires actually gets grip! Driving on ice/water is mandatory training here, if it's in the summer you drive on a track that they flush water on. I drove on a racing track with polished ice and friction tires. A lot of fun! Great knowledge! Now drive with studded tires

Mike, thats not the issue, even if people do get run over at zebras, mainly because pedestrians have way of right across a road on Zebra, and not all are good at using reflexes, and some drivers actually accelerate at Zebras, stopping takes time

The limiting is the time, not to dissalow them all togather, they are "timed" now but they want to limit it even more

My photography website

Last edited by SilentTrigger; 02-29-2008 at 02:20 PM.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:10 PM
Luckz is offline Luckz

Send a message via AIM to Luckz Send a message via Yahoo to Luckz
My fathers F250 uses studded tires. They are great

SOTW #1 Winner

Old 03-01-2008, 06:09 AM
atholon is offline atholon
"ath-hole"

Send a message via MSN to atholon
We have them sometimes here. MY car doesn`t because I don`t want to go buy tires just for winter. They mostly just use all season tires.

I doubt that studs actually increase the death rate that much.
Old 03-01-2008, 06:45 AM
-1PARA-

Well there are some not so nice things baked in to the asphalt but it's mostly a problem in Stockholm, Göteborg and Malmö

My photography website

Old 03-01-2008, 06:49 AM
chief*ADFP* is offline chief*ADFP*
Hellfighter

Send a message via ICQ to chief*ADFP*
we use mostly mud tires on the road, never try studded tires
Old 03-01-2008, 07:41 AM
Scott is offline Scott
AKA. Panther

Haven't read the other posts but I do think it's true about studded tires not being as safe... My first set of winter tires were studded and a little on the soft side so they were hard to control. If I lost control going 60+ mph it would have been hard to get it back. In the snow/ice they were awesome but here on the freeways they were a little on the scary side over 60mph..

I use non-studded winter tires now and they work just about as good as studded but I feel like I am in control of the car again..

04' Dodge SRT-4, Mopar Stage 3, 406whp/436wtq
Old 03-02-2008, 02:44 AM
-1PARA-

The bad thing about friction tires is that they only get good grip on uneven ice, studded works on both. I wouldn't go over 60 with studded tires, I have had problems with the car going sideways in high winds as they just start skidding on the metal.

My photography website

Old 03-03-2008, 09:59 PM
VooDoo- is offline VooDoo-

what the hell are studded tires? (i've never seen snow if that makes me look like less of a dumbass on the subject)
Old 03-03-2008, 10:11 PM
atholon is offline atholon
"ath-hole"

Send a message via MSN to atholon
Tires that have little metal stubs sticking out of them, they help you get a better grip on the slippery roads I don`t have em

Beat yah chief!