Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Computers > Hardware and Software

Hardware and Software Discuss hardware, software and security related stuff

Old 07-02-2008, 12:27 AM
Chrispy is offline Chrispy

Send a message via MSN to Chrispy Send a message via Yahoo to Chrispy
DVD Drive

It's in, successfully. Way easier than the graphics card and RAM. I'll post a photo in the future (on a photo camera with a film, which needs to be processed and put on disc).

Only thing I had to do was take the old one out and add the new one in, and set the drive's priority to master (as said recommended in the manual, and it was master on the old one).

It's fairly new too, to my suprise. It was made this year (March) and can read all craploads of formats. DVD, DVD-DL, DVD-ROM, DVD-RAM, DVD-RW, you name it.

LiteOn 20x DVD E-IDE drive I believe.

I also found Windows XP needed activation in 3 days after I added the drive in (unusual). I was thinking I'd need the key for activation, and I've no idea where the key is (I could've used a key recovery app anyway). Luckily, activation took only a quarter of a minute, without the need for a key.

I think the motherboard might be starting to show its age too. I have four USB slots in, one is used for the mouse, and another slot is used for the headset. Funny thing is, is that when I plugged the headset into one slot, the volume on the headset was real low and couldn't be increased. Now, it's happened to another slot, so I've only got one reliable slot left to have loud volume on. Oh, and when I plugged one of my thumb drives into one of the USB slots, the computer wouldn't even read it too...
Intel Core Duo E7300 2.66GHz // SuperTalent DDR2 800 2GB // ASUS nVidia GeForce 8400GS 512MB // Western Digital 7200RPM 320GB SATA // LG GH-20LS 20X SATA DVD-RAM // Windows XP Pro 32-bit // Thermaltake XP550 NP 430W // Thermaltake SOPRANO SECC Black
Old 07-02-2008, 01:56 AM
Hellfighter is offline Hellfighter
Chief ADFP

Send a message via ICQ to Hellfighter
there is a PCI USB cards you can add to the MOB to add-in 2-4 USB ports if the old ones seem tobe acting up

think they are really cheap in the US like USD 12.00-25.00 counts on the number of USB port on the PCI cards beside the brand names.

i have 4 USB on MOB and 3 Extra USB & 1394 port 2ea ports in the front of the tower.

ones in the back are fully use, two use for controler like handle hold item to use for games or video camcorder
*Discord: Unknown77#7121
Playing now days: EA Games> swtor [star wars old republic]
Old 07-02-2008, 02:10 AM

So you mean, there's a device where you plug into a USB, and you plug USB things into that device?
Intel Core Duo E7300 2.66GHz // SuperTalent DDR2 800 2GB // ASUS nVidia GeForce 8400GS 512MB // Western Digital 7200RPM 320GB SATA // LG GH-20LS 20X SATA DVD-RAM // Windows XP Pro 32-bit // Thermaltake XP550 NP 430W // Thermaltake SOPRANO SECC Black
Old 07-02-2008, 02:29 AM
Chief ADFP

yes this is what i was talking about

details:
Ultra ULT31500 USB 2.0 PCI Card (plug-in to the PCI slot on the MOB) - 6 Port, Hi-Speed USB 2.0 (4 External / 2 Internal)

USB 2.0 compliant Host Card
Supports high speed (480Mbits/sec.), full speed (12Mbits/sec.), and low speed (1.5Mbits/sec.)
Supports legacy keyboard and mouse
Compliance with PCI specifications revision 2.2
Supports 32-bits host interface and 33MHz PCI Bus clock
High performance PCI bus master

Source: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...62407&CatId=48

this one is really cheap for its 6 USB ports in total

Last edited by Hellfighter; 07-02-2008 at 02:34 AM.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:16 AM
Scott is offline Scott
AKA. Panther

Re: DVD Drive

Quote:
Originally posted by Chrispy
It's fairly new too, to my suprise. It was made this year (March) and can read all craploads of formats. DVD, DVD-DL, DVD-ROM, DVD-RAM, DVD-RW, you name it.
Welcome to a few years ago lol

04' Dodge SRT-4, Mopar Stage 3, 406whp/436wtq
Old 07-02-2008, 11:36 AM
Chief ADFP

by the way Chrispy what is the model number of it?
Old 07-03-2008, 12:07 AM

@ Scott, yeah lol. Welcome to a few years ago, Chrispy.

@ William, it says in the device manager "ATAPI DVD A DH20A4P", if that's what you're looking for. On the box there's no model number I see, and it just says "LiteOn 20x DVD/CD Writer & Rewriter".

I also looked at your link and it's an internal card - hmm, is there perhaps anything like that, but external? (E.g. you plug it in to your computer via USB from the outside.)
Old 07-03-2008, 11:30 AM
Chief ADFP

!.) "DH20A4P" yep thats the model number of it

I also looked at your link and it's an internal card - hmm, is there perhaps anything like that, but external? (E.g. you plug it in to your computer via USB from the outside.)

2.) it counts if the USB ports on the MOB are going bad? then a Internal one (PCI Card) is better

the thing is with external USB ports they plugs into the USB port outside the Tower (MOB USB Ports) if these USB are already going bad, what the use to use them at all. smart move is add-in new port to the system cheaper way is USB PCI Card

you can have a Computer Tech redo the USB Connection on the MOB, he service it and make them like new $$$$

may need to have old USB Ports on the MOB replace or fix, get around this buy a PCI Card thats has USB Connection on it, cheaper then a service/ repair charge done

USB Ports go bad do to the cable being pull on hard or jerk out really hard, like any cable if the connection may go out of line or break the connection on the MOB if this happens then will not make a tight connection, so the system don't see the unit plug-in to the USB ports
=========================================
PS this is the update for your DVD Drive
Match more media DownLoad ZIP 977.58 kb 02/15/2008 13:30:43
Link: http://us.liteonit.com/us/index.php?...per&Itemid=153

1.) don't have any item in the DVD drive then you open the flash drive update
2.) download the new drivers to desktop
3.) after you done downloading it
A.) disconnect from the internet
B.) disable firewall and Anti-virus software
4.) open the File to update the DVD drive
5.) Restart the system back to desktop check if your firewall and ANti-virus software are back on or enable at this time,

thats it for update.

all so:
yes that is LiteOn Model Number: DH-20A4P they do a lot updats for this hardware like Video cards MFG do.

no then to be scare about!! if it already been update it will tell you that as will, you have a option to get out of it

i check my two for newer update all the time, beside LiteOn LightScrip DVD drivers as will

Last edited by Hellfighter; 07-03-2008 at 11:51 AM.
Old 07-03-2008, 02:46 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_hub

These are externals I think.
Old 07-03-2008, 02:48 PM
Chief ADFP

i know there are externals but the point is they plug into your old USB Ports and if they are bad what the use of using them at all, you get the same error