Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Off-Topic > General Chat
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General Chat Talk about anything that does not fit into other topics here.

Old 11-05-2004, 06:34 AM
echoz is offline echoz

School Help

Hey guys, I dont know if I'm allowed to post this sorta stuff here but I'm in a last ditch effort for help. I've had an essay to do for Art, I've tried for the past 5 days and havnt really succeded. Since theres an art section here I thought some may know a little bit and might be able to help me

This is the question

How does the role of social critic apply to Francisco Goya?
Explain this role by refferring to particular works.

Introduction:
* What is ment by social critic
* Explain the times (the world) in which Goya worked

Paragraph I
* Goya as a court painter - Describe a particular work

Paragraph II
* Goya expressing ideas about the Enlightenment - that the power of reason would reveal social injustice, banish superstition and introduce destructive passions.
Describe "The sleep of reason produces monsters"

Paragraph III
* Goya uses the art of caricature to criticize social evils. He invented demons. Describe an example of his work.

Paragaph IV
* Goya expresses the brutality of war
Describe work from "Disasters of War" and the "Third of May 1808" Describe this work in detail. This painting inspired artists that followed to portay violence as a motiv for modern art.

Any help with be appreciated, can you please add me to msn ? Echobolt@hotmail.com

- Echoz

Current

Old 11-05-2004, 07:14 AM
Steve is offline Steve
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Steve
unfortunatley I dont really know the guy :/
but i know goooooogle

i found some good links which is the best i can do, plus i'm not going to do an essay for myself let alone someone else

i take it you dont have to do much seeing as its only 4 paras and an intro?

this is a cracking link > http://www.tabula-rasa.info/DarkAges/FrancescoGoya.html

first part will help you with your intro + Paragraph II because it describes the times and:

Francesco Goya is discussed in many art histories as Goya the social critic, or Goya the court painter and master of exquisite portraiture. Indeed, his best known works are probably The Third of May, the clothed and unclothed Maja, and -- The Sleep of Reason.

The full title, in Spanish in the corner of the picture, is 'the sleep of reason produces monsters'. It has been variously interpreted as an allegory of the dangers of superstition, a protest against the spirit of rationalism and a self portrait of a tormented artist. What is in any case clear, is that the darkness is strong and the sleeper will not easily awaken. Goya's is the story of an artist in an age and milieu where the activity expected of him was clearly mapped out; but who time and time again went outside the bounds to the consternation of his patrons, the Spanish Inquisition and, one sometimes feels, himself. But he couldn't stop.

the link also covers para IV

as does this link : http://www.artchive.com/artchive/G/goya.html

summary of the times

Francisco de Goya y Lucientes was born in a poor village in Spain, the son of a gilder. He began his artistic studies at the age of 13 and continued them in Madrid in his late teens and early twenties. In 1773, Goya married Josefa Bayeu. The King of Spain recognized Goya's talent as an artist and he climbed the ladder of Court Painters for King Charles III and later Charles IV. Tragedy struck when, Goya became ill in 1792. The nature of the illness is not known, but it caused temporary paralysis, and partial blindness and left him permanently deaf, after which he communicated purely by writing or through sign language. The illness, as he wrote later, made him. Goya was 62 years old when the Napoleonic Invasion of Spain started in 1808 and Spain was subjected to six years of war and revolution. Goya was in Madrid during the tragic events of May 2nd and 3rd, 1808 when the population rose against the French and the uprising was savagely repressed. He died in Bordeaux, France, where he lived in self-exile, on April 16, 1828. - http://www.sleepandhealth.com/Newspa...ptember/10.htm

sry i cant find much about his court paintings
Old 11-05-2004, 07:37 AM
echoz is offline echoz

Oh thank you Steve, I tried googling some stuff earlier but... lets just say I'm hopeless

Current

Old 11-05-2004, 02:19 PM
Mauser 98K is offline Mauser 98K

sorry cant help. the only art that i know is drawing a smilie face at 100+m lol. but do you live near a public library? if ya do and its a good library it should have a art section with ilistrations and whatnot about famous artists.