Stop the Insanity...
1. Big companies don't do business via chain letter. Bill Gates is not
giving you $1000, and Disney is not giving you a free vacation.
There is no baby food company issuing class-action checks. MTV will
not give you backstage passes if you forward something to the most people.
You can relax; there is no need to pass it on "just in case it's
true." Furthermore, just because someone said in the message, four
generations back, that "we checked it out and it's legit", does not actually
make it true.
2. There is no kidney theft ring in New Orleans. No one is waking up in a
bathtub full of ice, even if a friend of a friend swears it happened to
their cousin. If you are hell-bent on believing the kidney-theft ring
stories, please see:
And I quote: "The National Kidney Foundation has repeatedly issued
for actual victims of organ thieves to come forward and tell their
stories. None have". That's "none" as in "zero". Not even your friend's
3. Neiman Marcus doesn't have a restaurant, and they don't really sell a
$200 cookie recipe either. And even if they do, we all have it. And if
you don't, you can get a copy at: http://www.bl.net/forwards/cookie.html
4. We all know all 101 ways to drive your roommates crazy, irritate
coworkers, gross out bathroom stall neighbors and creep out people on
an elevator. And...We also know exactly how many engineers, college
students, Usenet posters and people from each and every world ethnicity it
takes to change a light bulb.
5. Even if the latest NASA rocket disaster(s) DID contain plutonium that
went to particulate over the eastern seaboard, do you REALLY think
this information would reach the public via an AOL chain-letter?
7. If your CC: list is regularly longer than the actual content of your
message, you're probably going to burn in Hell, for all of eternity...and
you will deserve it.
8. If you're using Outlook, IE, or Netscape to write e-mail, turn off the
"HTML encoding. " Those of us on Unix shells can't read it, and don't
care enough to save the attachment and then view it with a web browser,
since you're probably forwarding us a copy of the Neiman Marcus Cookie
9. If you still absolutely MUST forward that 10th-generation message from
a friend, at least have the decency to trim the eight miles of headers
showing everyone else who's received it over the last 6 months.
Besides, if it has gone around that many times-we've probably already seen
it, and anyway, we're busy making cookies.
10. Craig Shergold (or Sherwood, or Sherman, etc.) in England is not dying
of cancer or anything else at this time and would like everyone to stop
sending him their business cards. He apparently is also no longer a
"6 year old little boy" either.
11. The "Make a Wish" foundation is a real organization doing fine work,
but they have had to establish a special toll free hotline in response to
the large number of Internet hoaxes using their good name and reputation.
It is distracting them from the important work they do.
12. The American Cancer Society TAKES donations, they do not MAKE
donations. They do NOT judge your case based on how many cute stories
have been e-mailed on your behalf.
14. While we're on it, there is no software that tracks where an e-mail
has gone to and how many people saw it.
15. There is no "Good Times" virus. In fact, you should never, ever, ever
forward any e-mail containing any virus warning unless you first confirm
it at an actual site of an actual company that actually deals with virus.
And you cannot get a virus from a flashing Instant Message, you have
to download .... ya know, like a FILE!
16. If you are one of those insufferable idiots who forwards anything that
promises "something bad will happen if you don't," then something bad
will happen to you if I ever meet you in a dark alley.
Bottom Line ... composing E-mail or posting something on the Net is
as easy as writing on the walls of a public restroom. Don't automatically
believe it unless it's proven false...ASSUME it's false, unless there is
that it's true.
Got it? Good. Now, forward this message to ten friends and you will
win the Publishers Clearinghouse sweepstakes.
|Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)|
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|how to keep a healthy level of insanity||Mstenger404||Humor & Jokes||5||03-26-2006 12:43 PM|
|How to Keep a Heathy Level of Insanity or How to Annoy Others||DevilDog#1||Humor & Jokes||3||03-27-2005 04:39 AM|
|Insanity sig||oph3im||Sigs and Graphics||8||08-01-2004 07:07 AM|
|Insanity Test!||BlackShadow||Humor & Jokes||4||07-19-2004 12:46 AM|
|Insanity test||Prototype||Humor & Jokes||3||01-23-2004 04:04 PM|