Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Games > Gaming Talk

Gaming Talk Post all your game related stuff here. This includes PC, Console, Handhelds etc.

View Poll Results: When joining a multiplayer server:
Like a personal Greeting, welcoming you 9 56.25%
Blanket Greeting to all 1 6.25%
Don't care if your greeted at all 5 31.25%
Other 1 6.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-02-2007, 02:06 PM
IcIshoot is offline IcIshoot

Send a message via AIM to IcIshoot Send a message via MSN to IcIshoot Send a message via Yahoo to IcIshoot
Curiosity Poll: Being greeted in game servers

Was just curious as to what the gaming community felt about being greeted in servers they play in.

Would you be more likely go return to a server that greets you personally, or one that uses a blanket greeting?

IcI
Old 07-02-2007, 02:13 PM
EDGE is offline EDGE

Send a message via ICQ to EDGE Send a message via AIM to EDGE Send a message via Yahoo to EDGE
I like personal welcomes. It lets you know that people actually pay attention to the faces entering a game. When im in the =OC= server, I usually try to greet everyone as do the rest of the OC memners.
Old 07-02-2007, 02:18 PM
Sal UK is offline Sal UK

Send a message via ICQ to Sal UK
The thing is ICI is servers are just too big these days, plaers have forgot about the curtasy of welcoming another player.

When I used to run Salamanders War on DF2 it was only a small server of 6-8 players. I used to get killed most times typing into the new one coming into the game. Things I think were more closer in those days as the comunity pulled together more because of the small servers and the ease of being able to talk more during a game.

But I do like being personally Greeted, Not one of those welcome bots that dont care if your there or not.

Man Dont I go on and on...lol
Old 07-02-2007, 02:42 PM

Send a message via AIM to IcIshoot Send a message via MSN to IcIshoot Send a message via Yahoo to IcIshoot
yep.

I generally don't expect it. Which means that when I do come across a server that does, I will be more likely to go back then those who don't.
Old 07-02-2007, 03:44 PM
ShArP is offline ShArP

Send a message via ICQ to ShArP Send a message via AIM to ShArP Send a message via MSN to ShArP
Quote:
Originally posted by EDGE
I like personal welcomes. It lets you know that people actually pay attention to the faces entering a game. When im in the =OC= server, I usually try to greet everyone as do the rest of the OC memners.
i know isn't that cool, lol

Old 07-02-2007, 04:47 PM
Hellfighter is offline Hellfighter
Chief ADFP

Send a message via ICQ to Hellfighter
will i hate that spam messenger then showing up on the screen like auto-text message some host run in their servers.

really bug me to see a text about the host site as i play in a server, looking for the reply for help or some fool screaming about something.

its ok to read a small messenge when loading to get into a server greeting is cool, but not in the game play in the text field uncool
*Discord: Unknown77#7121
Playing now days: EA Games> swtor [star wars old republic]
Old 07-02-2007, 05:37 PM
-Tigger- is offline -Tigger-
BB

its nice 2 b welcomed, but i dont care tbh
Old 07-02-2007, 06:02 PM
Chrispy is offline Chrispy

Send a message via MSN to Chrispy Send a message via Yahoo to Chrispy
I don't really care if I get greeted or not really, and I don't expect to be greeted. I don't see the server bot greeting thing really annoying, but it would be awesome if people were personally greeted by real people - gives the server a good image really.

And like icishoot said, I would be more likely to come into the server again and again if I get personally greeted by real people.

Chris
Intel Core Duo E7300 2.66GHz // SuperTalent DDR2 800 2GB // ASUS nVidia GeForce 8400GS 512MB // Western Digital 7200RPM 320GB SATA // LG GH-20LS 20X SATA DVD-RAM // Windows XP Pro 32-bit // Thermaltake XP550 NP 430W // Thermaltake SOPRANO SECC Black
Old 07-02-2007, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Chief ADFP
will i hate that spam messenger then showing up on the screen like auto-text message some host run in their servers.

really bug me to see a text about the host site as i play in a server, looking for the reply for help or some fool screaming about something.

its ok to read a small messenge when loading to get into a server greeting is cool, but not in the game play in the text field uncool
lol how else are you going to explain server rules? Especially if the visitors won't visit the site to read the rules posted there?

I agree though that some do go over board.

but I would rather have them go over board so I know what is expected of me, then to get banned or punted for something I didn't know I couldn't do.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:10 PM
Hellfighter is offline Hellfighter
Chief ADFP

Send a message via ICQ to Hellfighter
There is that common law of the land! No brainier

When joining into all servers, like going to some forum there are not to do things rules. When you’re in some one host server area one should always act right.

You should not have to tell other what they can’t do punt them out right off the back
if they break any of the server rules, they keep it up ban the fool.

If they come back and ask why they got punted out then tell them why, and state if they do it again they be banned for it. There no second chances here!

Text one on one is much better!
*Discord: Unknown77#7121
Playing now days: EA Games> swtor [star wars old republic]
Old 07-02-2007, 11:03 PM

I agree. There are some common sense things.

but that doesn't happen.

And then to throw into the mix that each server is going to allow different things - it isn't fair to the players to punt them for something they didn't know they could do to begin with.

But this wasn't meant to turn into a debate about server messages

Last edited by IcIshoot; 07-02-2007 at 11:12 PM.
Old 07-03-2007, 12:27 AM
Chrispy is offline Chrispy

Send a message via MSN to Chrispy Send a message via Yahoo to Chrispy
TBH, the annoying thing thing about server messages, is that they're repetitive, AND, if they come up real often, then it can move the message you typed away from the screen.

I hope in the next DF game there'll be a system where you can personally talk to someone in a server so nobody else will see it. Kinda like Team Chat - only it's person, not team.

Chris
Intel Core Duo E7300 2.66GHz // SuperTalent DDR2 800 2GB // ASUS nVidia GeForce 8400GS 512MB // Western Digital 7200RPM 320GB SATA // LG GH-20LS 20X SATA DVD-RAM // Windows XP Pro 32-bit // Thermaltake XP550 NP 430W // Thermaltake SOPRANO SECC Black
Old 07-03-2007, 03:39 AM
katana*GFR* is offline katana*GFR*

Send a message via ICQ to katana*GFR* Send a message via MSN to katana*GFR*
I miss the old days were you were always greeted.. After DF2 it seems to have gone downhill with the greetings.. In DF2 it was always hey dude, and all games i played after, just a few guys that say hi, and the rest is just busy doing nothing orso.. Its not as nice as it was anymore.

Found on Youtube:
Quote:
And if Newton Faulkner's voice can be described as "R&B" then Kurt Cobain must be a member of Boyz II Men.
Link here
Old 07-03-2007, 04:14 AM
Stephen is offline Stephen
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Stephen Send a message via AIM to Stephen Send a message via Yahoo to Stephen
greeting is the only time i type at all in a game tbh after i greet the people i know i say what i have to over ts or after i die.

"If the whole universe has no meaning, we should never have found out that it has no meaning: just as, if there were no light in the universe and therefore no creatures with eyes, we should never know it was dark. Dark would be without meaning."
-- C.S. Lewis
Old 07-03-2007, 07:25 AM
Mauser 98K is offline Mauser 98K

i also like personal greetings but not as much as i like it when i join a server and it clear out,lol, it like oh ****, here come that mauser who like to camp at 1000m+, i just think it is funny.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:24 AM
Capers is offline Capers

Good topic.

Quote:
Originally posted by Sal UK

When I used to run Salamanders War on DF2 it was only a small server of 6-8 players. I used to get killed most times typing into the new one coming into the game. Things I think were more closer in those days as the comunity pulled together more because of the small servers and the ease of being able to talk more during a game.
Pretty much my thoughts when reading OP. Remember Trader Plays aswell Sal? Plain awesome.

These days, as said before servers seem to be too big and busy for personal greetings, especially the battlefield series of games - typed messages tend to get wiped off the text chat pretty quickly. The community side to gaming, on that level, seems to have diminished as more and more people have got involved (which is kinda strange really isn't it?)
Old 07-03-2007, 11:04 AM
Sal UK is offline Sal UK

Send a message via ICQ to Sal UK
Yes Cap, I havent heard from Mike in a long time. I should re-install my DF2 or even BHD and have a small server. Bring back Hi M8, Welcome back How you been doing? ect.

What are you Playing now buddie?