Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Games > Delta Force

Delta Force Anything to do with the Delta Force series of games, DF1, DF2, LW, TFD, BHD, DFX, AF etc.

Old 07-24-2002, 11:42 PM
Dirt*PR* is offline Dirt*PR*

Cool Number of Items in a Map?

Ok...after i've made a custom map i've noticed that most "custom" maps, u know the ones with like custom castles and junk, seem to have a lot of items in them. i seem to get some framerate lagg so....

what would be considered a "normal" item count for a map?
and what would be considered "high" item count?
lastly, what would be considered "way too much" item count?

i know only of one person perhaps, credit to Elbastardo, that tries to make a regular map and if lots of items then he tries to make a "small version" of it also. so i to have started to do this but i'm not sure at around what numbers should i get ready to make a smaller version. any input would be nice. thx.

btw....my new map has around 740 items.
Old 07-25-2002, 12:25 AM
frogman*PR* is offline frogman*PR*

Send a message via ICQ to frogman*PR*
not sure dirty but that sounds like alot of stuff , is this ur map u showed me the other day were talking about?
Old 07-25-2002, 01:44 PM
Camouflage UK© is offline Camouflage UK©

I dunno if you have ever used the area triggers,But I have once made area triggers outside the play area marked with a bush.And put cirtain buildings trees ect into groups Then if someone came into the game and said the frame rate was bad I would run outside the play area and hit one of the triggers to make some trees and buildings disapear using the "Vaporize Group" In the events.This works very well if you can be fussed with the messing around.
Old 07-26-2002, 10:10 AM
katana*GFR* is offline katana*GFR*

Send a message via ICQ to katana*GFR* Send a message via MSN to katana*GFR*
DF2 is maximum of 1036 items in it. (i know cause 2 of my maps have that much in it) its a bit glitchy when you ise binos but when you dont its a fun map to pay

Found on Youtube:
Quote:
And if Newton Faulkner's voice can be described as "R&B" then Kurt Cobain must be a member of Boyz II Men.
Link here
Old 07-26-2002, 10:14 AM
katana*GFR* is offline katana*GFR*

Send a message via ICQ to katana*GFR* Send a message via MSN to katana*GFR*
*play i meant (you pay for stupidity)

Found on Youtube:
Quote:
And if Newton Faulkner's voice can be described as "R&B" then Kurt Cobain must be a member of Boyz II Men.
Link here
Old 07-27-2002, 12:06 AM
Dirt*PR* is offline Dirt*PR*

yes is my new secret map.

Quote:
Originally posted by frogman*PR*
not sure dirty but that sounds like alot of stuff , is this ur map u showed me the other day were talking about?
the big outside thing is 170ish i think...hope u know what all i'm saying as i need this to be secret til i send it in...hoping it will do very good rating wise...hint-hint...hehehe.

and the main smaller center thingy is 200+, i think close to 250 or 300. add some cover and few trees and spawns and all total in ed it says around 750 items selected. i get a tad of framerate loss on my 1.0 pent III, 64GF2MX400 card when i face towards center. the main one at center is causing the lagg i'm sure. thats why i'm making a "smaller" verion of it.
just means more time til its ready for d/l and junk.
Old 07-27-2002, 03:49 AM
Steve is offline Steve
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Steve
ppl who complain about framerate loss can get me annoyed, cause usually they are playing with all their gfx options on max. they slag off maps even though its their own fault.

this sounds harsh but it's true and im sick of people saying bad stuff about good maps becaue they want the best resolution and graphics on their TNT2.

the map maker can help a little by not adding too many round objects or ones with smooth edges that are made up of a lot of polies.

adding fog can reduce the draw distance so ur card has to render less.

using less textures helps also. usually that is what tips your gfx card over the edge IMO. get ur texture settign on minimum and u'll be ok. the game will look bad but who really cares what the walls look like or how nice the enemy lok in their uniforms when ur getting shot at?!

personally i dont bother thinking about item count. i dont want to be restricted. go with the flow, do what you want. its easy to make a cut down version l8r and gamers will appreciate the choice.

i have a GeForce4 Ti4200 and still play on minimum settings cause i want to play smooth and @ 150 FPS muhahaha.

a high item count is 1024 items but it depend how u set it up. if u have 512 on on side of a hill and 512 on another then there would be no problem because u can only possibly ever see 512 items at one time ( unless u were cheating ).
Old 07-28-2002, 02:51 AM
morales is offline morales

Ok a guidline for un laggy map is a total file size of less than 50kb.
Keep the amount of trees to a minimum.

Ive always prided myself on making maps that dont lag,check any of my mindset snipers maps from the last four years and u will see what i mean.

Also you can further reduce screen lag by proper placement,on the med i only place objects on complete flat ground.That means everything,trees,houses,the whole nine yards.

Go to http://www.mindsetsnipers.com and d/l and examine any of my maps iam sure it will offer some inspiration into smooth map making.

Mindset Snipers Founder
Dfarena Forum Mod
Mindset Media Web Project Manager
Terranova Crew Member
Mindset Media Web 1998/2004.

Last edited by morales; 07-28-2002 at 02:56 AM.
Old 07-28-2002, 02:58 AM
DevilDog#1 is offline DevilDog#1

1024 on TFD

Quote:
If I don't do that doesn't mean I can't - DD#1