FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Hardware and Software Discuss hardware, software and security related stuff

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-24-2013, 11:20 AM
--BulletMagnet-- is offline --BulletMagnet--
DF2 Forever

Send a message via MSN to --BulletMagnet--
New Laptop

Well, my laptop finally decided to bite the dust last night. The battery has been dead for a while, the plastic cover for the screen is cracked and broken in several places, the right hinge is broken, and the screen has gone to distorted white colors (guessing a wiring issue or internal crack). Since I've already replaced the screen once, I decided it was time for a new baby. Bear in mind a new desktop isn't an option due to my need for a portable laptop for college courses and lack of money.

While this sucks, I'm very excited to get a new one. My now-defunct HP DM4-1065dx was an excellent multimedia/college machine. I'd still recommend that product line to anyone looking. However, the main drawback to this piece (and this is a laptop problem in general) is the Intel Integrated HD Graphics.

I'm only a moderate gamer (still playing Nova games and other old stuff, i.e. CoD and CoD2), so the graphics issue hasn't been much of a problem. I do, however, have games like BC2/MoH Warfighter/Skyrim lying around that I'd love to be able to play. While I couldn't go all out with an Alienware gaming laptop, I believe I've found one that will run these games at moderate settings while retaining a respectable framerate:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834314016

I know the general public has very mixed feelings for Acer, but this machine has multiple excellent reviews and has very decent specs for the price. The i5 3230 CPU is a bit faster than that of my old DM4, the HDD space and speed is fine for my needs, the RAM is slightly outdated but upgradeable, and best of all - DEDICATED GPU! The GT 730M has been tested thoroughly with games like BC2 and Skyrim (on this specific laptop, even) and most sources show that these games will run at respectable framerates with moderate to high graphical settings.

Anyway, I wanted to share my excitement and also see if you super-techs could see any problems with the detailed specs. Seems to come with all of your standard ports and bells and whistles. I think I made a good buy here, so please shower me with praise.