Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Games > Delta Force

Delta Force Anything to do with the Delta Force series of games, DF1, DF2, LW, TFD, BHD, DFX, AF etc.

Old 02-13-2022, 09:41 AM
Baldo_the_Don is offline Baldo_the_Don

Attached: My Mark 1 grenade-drop compensator reticle for the M4/M203 in the SFOD mod.

Lab-condition testing leaves very little to desire for accuracy. Play testing is pending.

It's a work in progress. I like it.

Edit: New version with FAKE-OG support. Isolated the aimpoint a bit more for less confusion.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SFOD_M4-M203_GDC.jpg (400.2 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg SFOD_M4-M203_GDC_2.jpg (343.8 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by Baldo_the_Don; 02-13-2022 at 03:10 PM.
Old 02-14-2022, 01:54 PM

I think this might be the final design. Maybe.

The chevron is zeroed at 100m. It's as wide as a target at 100m, shoulder to shoulder (19", or 48.26cm for us in civilization [the math says 6.8 pixels]), and it's as tall as a 1.7m target at 300m (although, working with the resolutions I'm dealing with, the math made it clear that targets of any height between 1.7m and 1.8m will give me a chevron height of a bit more or a bit less than 8 pixels).

I'm enjoying it so far.

You might be wondering what's the point of short-range grenade launcher accuracy enhancement, but then you're stuck behind a rock 35m from a bunker full of .50 cals hell-bent on your perforation, you're down to one last round for your M203, and if you could just get it through a window in that box of annoyingly loud heavy MGs, you could end all the noise and relax a bit. That's when you'll wonder if maybe Baldo didn't have a decent idea with the short-range GDC reticle, especially with the 16° lean branches.

Happens to me all the time, you know?

Edit: Realizing now that with the chevron zeroed at 100m (by drawing it 2 pixels under the boresight), it makes aiming the range display tricky (a lesson I'd forgotten from my adventures with the G36 special reticle). I'll have to revert that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SFOD_M4-M203_GDC_3.jpg (347.5 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg SFOD_G36V_Special_Day.jpg (447.0 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by Baldo_the_Don; 02-15-2022 at 04:57 AM.
Old 02-17-2022, 10:26 PM

I saw a video about Mosin-Nagants, then this happened:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SFOD_SR25_Special.jpg (432.7 KB, 26 views)
Old 02-19-2022, 08:25 AM

This is an SFOD adaptation of the Kobra I made for my personal installation of the DFWiQ mod.

Sometimes, I wonder if anything I say makes sense to anybody that isn't three levels deep yet...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SFOD_Kobra_Day.jpg (229.9 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg SFOD_Kobra_Night.jpg (433.7 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg SFOD_Kobra_NVG.jpg (256.3 KB, 17 views)
Old 02-23-2022, 03:17 PM

This one's kind of fun...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SFOD_G36_SRG.jpg (625.1 KB, 20 views)
Old 02-28-2022, 09:37 PM

I was unhappy with the RPG/AT4 discrepancy in the SFOD mod. I did up a hell of a drop compensator reticle for the RPG, and it's accurate out to at least 900m, and the AT4 is tricky beyond 100m, and I had an idea of a transparent front sight for the AT4. I also edited the AT4IRNA.tga to look more like the weapon model. I know my blur technique is a little weird, but I like it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SFOD_AT4.jpg (348.4 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg SFOD_RPG.jpg (226.8 KB, 18 views)
Old 03-08-2022, 08:49 AM

Oh, a Schmidt & Bender 5-25x52 reticle for the L115A1? Yeah.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SFOD_SB5-25x52.jpg (406.4 KB, 25 views)
Old 03-08-2022, 08:19 PM
jabo1SFH is offline jabo1SFH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldo_the_Don View Post
Oh, a Schmidt & Bender 5-25x52 reticle for the L115A1? Yeah.
nice

Old 03-14-2022, 11:29 AM

I did another Schmidt & Bender. The P4L2BE reticle for the PSG-1 in the SFOD mod. I tweaked it a bit for fun, but it's as close to original as I felt like making it.

For those not really understanding the significance of the barrel in the screen shot: that barrel, at that angle, in this resolution, from 100m away, is as close to 100 milliradians (about 5.73°, 343.77 MOA, or 101.86 mils) wide as a modder could wish for. That makes it easy to see if your mrad crosshair divisions are accurate.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SFODP4L2BE.jpg (503.0 KB, 18 views)
Old 03-15-2022, 09:58 PM

This is my second attempt at a Hensoldt reticle. Googled around, a blueprint came up, I followed it, with adaptations, it looks alright, I get good hits with it, but I don't love it. That center post is obscurant on long-range targets. I do think the gradient green's a treat, though.

Note that I auto-adjusted the color in the screenshot and I was going to add sharpening like the P4L2BE screeny, and it cleared things up nice, but the artifacting uglied up that gradient I like so much, so I reverted it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SFODHensoldt2.jpg (390.0 KB, 19 views)
Old 03-16-2022, 08:35 PM

Schmidt & Bender call this reticle the P1 Bryant.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SFODP1Bryant.jpg (425.4 KB, 19 views)
Old 03-20-2022, 02:37 AM

I redid the sight targas for the G36V in the SFOD mod. 3x mag., 200m, 400m, 600m, and 800m aimpoints as well as the range finder tested and confirmed to the best of my abilities.

I found a decent through-the-scope photo of a 3x reticle that I used as a reference for proportions and placement, and to preserve the 600m and 800m cross positions, I tweaked the drag in the ammo.def.

I like it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SFOD_G36V_3x.jpg (435.8 KB, 21 views)
Old 03-22-2022, 01:33 AM

Oh no. Oh, guys I'm in trouble. Just look at the screenshot attached.

This is the JO version of SFOD mod. All the game video settings are low. Texture compression is maximum. The friendly-fire warning should make it obvious how perfectly centered the crosshair is horizontally. I lowered the aimpoint vertically to zero it at 200m.

Look at the detail in that crosshair! This is what you can get to work in this game!

Now my problem may not seem obvious to you, so I'll spell it out: if I am capable of producing crosshair graphics that look that good, am I then obligated to?

Also note that at 1280×720, my preferred game resolution, this crosshair looks artifacty and a little blurry, but not much worse than the low-res version I made.

I'm going to stick with this for the G36V for now, but... am I going to have to redo all the sniper crosshairs?

This is why mods never get finished...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SFOD_G36V3xhi.jpg (917.5 KB, 23 views)
Old 03-23-2022, 02:33 AM

This one might get some argument. Mostly the 5x mag., but it makes things actually six times larger on screen, and my research into ACOGs is they have 6 power magnification. So, you know...

As best as my math can say, the chevron and hashes are all 48.26cm (19") at their various ranges, and the aimpoints are consistent with the infographic attached, although my testing shows that one-headshot kills are not really happening beyond 400m, and even 400m headshots are not reliable one-hit kills. I could get 700m and 800m hits with a little care and luck, but half-magazine kills don't really seem worth the effort to include hashes for those ranges.

I added inserts of the reticle on different backgrounds to illustrate the visibility, and if you check, you can see the chevron automatically adjusts brightness with the background, more or less, and isn't really useful in NVGs.

But I tried.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HK416ACOG.JPG (623.7 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Acog_use.jpg (125.0 KB, 8 views)
Old 03-29-2022, 09:34 PM
Oscarmike247 is offline Oscarmike247

Looking good!

I'm not sure how I feel about the scratched glass effect, though. maybe some subtle dirt and grime, but it looks like someone went ham on that lens, haha.

The glass scratches just don't seem to match the quality of the rest of the graphic. The sight itself looks awesome, but I feel the lens is disproportionately lower in detail and kind of cheapens it. IMHO

The Acog reticle looks great. The markings should match the bullet trajectory if scaled right.

I'm kind of impressed with Nova's ballistic system and how accurate it is. In my mod, I have plugged in the real bullet specs for each round (weight, MV, and drag coefficient) as best I can with the info I can find online, so the bullet trajectory should be fairly accurate to the real deal. I used a graphic of a 4X acog, scaled it to match in game, and of course using an M16 5.56 each range mark was pretty close.

It only took a few minor adjustments to the graphic itself to get it to be accurate. I did this by setting up a shooting range in the MED, and setting targets at each range shown on the reticle. I then temporarily set the guns MOA error values to 0, set the recoil to 0, and set the ammo impact effect to something visible like a flare, to remove all other variables. Now I can see where the round impacts in relation to each range mark and adjust the range markings in GIMP to match the bullet impacts in relation to the reticle. Maybe kind of crude, but it works to make every mark accurate.

Keep up the good work! share more!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg M4ACOG1.jpg (455.4 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg M4ACOG2.jpg (118.5 KB, 17 views)
Old 03-31-2022, 04:19 PM

What happened with the CAR15Lb.tga is that I just wanted to attempt a dirt and wear effect, and I put the bare minimum effort into it, and just left it like that. I've since revisited the methods on glass targas for other weapons and they look slightly better. Maybe.

Under laboratory conditions (0 error, 0 recoil, 0 stability) on a suboptimal map (TD - Airstrip — 1000m fog and telephone poles for targets) and using the four Scorch0X.tga replacements you see in one of the screenshots above, I can get good testing done on these BDCs in the SFOD mod. I'd love to whip up a testing range in the MEd, but I can't get the MEd to start in the SFOD mod on my crate, and just thinking about troubleshooting that exhausts me, so I make do with less.

And my experimenting with BDC reticles has made it clear to me that a real ACOG is probably not pinpoint accurate at every range on every rifle you could mount it on, 'cause you could put it on an M16 with match-grade ammo, or an M4 with standard quality ammo, it's not going to function the same way. I wouldn't expect it to, anyway.

Speaking of experiments, I'm attaching screenshots of one of my favorites. The M14 has a full-auto mode with iron sights under the scope, and semi using the fixed 9x mag. scope with a mutation of the German 1 reticle I came up with. The center post is like an inverse ACOG where you use dude-wide gaps for ranging instead of dude-wide hashes. I didn't want to clutter up the reticle with numbers on the sides, so I cluttered it up with dots to designate the 400m, 600m and 800m aimpoints. It kind of works. The center post is 24x384px (36kb), the right horizon is 384x18px (27kb), and the left horizon is the right horizon mounted mirrored in the weapon.def. All that reticle for 63kb!

I did the Schmidt & Bender 5-25x56 crosshairs above similarly. The horizonal is one (12x768px) targa, and vertical is a second (768x12px) targa, and the rangefinder is a third (200x40px) targa. All together, about 103kb, uncompressed. If you pay attention to the 1mrad divisions left, right, and top, you'll see where I managed to shade 11px spaces to appear divided evenly into fifths. I'm a little proud of that, I am.

Looking at your ACOG, I get the impression that the chevron is white, edged with alpha, and using draw method blend. That would make it overly bright on dim maps. I could give you guidance on making a multiplyat targa with an add targa on top of it to make it more reactive to background lighting, if you'd like.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SFODM14Auto.jpg (378.4 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg SFODM14Semi.jpg (272.6 KB, 13 views)
Old 03-31-2022, 04:52 PM

Its actually aluminated. Im not home at the moment, but next time i get a chance ill upload a gif. Its hard to see it with pics.
Old 03-31-2022, 07:45 PM

Quote:

Speaking of experiments, I'm attaching screenshots of one of my favorites. The M14 has a full-auto mode with iron sights under the scope, and semi using the fixed 9x mag. scope with a mutation of the German 1 reticle I came up with. The center post is like an inverse ACOG where you use dude-wide gaps for ranging instead of dude-wide hashes. I didn't want to clutter up the reticle with numbers on the sides, so I cluttered it up with dots to designate the 400m, 600m and 800m aimpoints. It kind of works. The center post is 24x384px (36kb), the right horizon is 384x18px (27kb), and the left horizon is the right horizon mounted mirrored in the weapon.def. All that reticle for 63kb!

Those sights look great. Nice work! I did something similar with some of mine with dual sights options. It's nice to be able to utilize the features available to you as you would in reality.

Here's some of mine. I need to do this with the M21 as well, but I'll have to edit my current model as the mounts don't allow you to see the iron sights.

Old 03-31-2022, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Looking at your ACOG, I get the impression that the chevron is white, edged with alpha, and using draw method blend. That would make it overly bright on dim maps. I could give you guidance on making a multiplyat targa with an add targa on top of it to make it more reactive to background lighting, if you'd like.
Here's how it looks in lower light.

Old 03-31-2022, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Under laboratory conditions (0 error, 0 recoil, 0 stability) on a suboptimal map (TD - Airstrip — 1000m fog and telephone poles for targets) and using the four Scorch0X.tga replacements you see in one of the screenshots above, I can get good testing done on these BDCs in the SFOD mod. I'd love to whip up a testing range in the MEd, but I can't get the MEd to start in the SFOD mod on my crate, and just thinking about troubleshooting that exhausts me, so I make do with less.
I have the same issue with the MED with my MOD. I've found that if I temporarily move the weapon.def from my game directory, I can open the MED with no issues. then replace the weapon.def after you open the MED and it works.

I'm still trying to figure it out. I think it has something to do with the total size of all the new 3DI files fetched by the weapon.DEF. if I comment out all of the 3DI references in the weapon.DEF it will allow the MED to open. This is easy to do with a simple 'find and replace all' in notepad.

Now I just want to figure out if it is any one single 3DI causing the crash, or if it is the size of them all together as someone has suggested to me.

Tags
bhd mods, bhd sights, m60 sights, optical sights, wtf