Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Games > Joint Operations

Joint Operations Anything about the Joint Operations series of games.

Old 09-03-2018, 10:12 AM
Oscarmike247 is offline Oscarmike247

JO: Revision MOD G36

I might do a showcase video of all assault rifles in the mod here soon. But 'til then, I thought I'd share this.

Ballistics, fire rate, and weapon MOA accuracy is adjusted to the specs of the real rifle.

You can use both the reddot sight as well as the 3X sight located below it.
The target range finder seen on the 3X sight actually works and can be used to range man sized targets. just fit a man sized target within the given lines and it will give you a rough range to your target so you can set elevation accordingly.

What do you think?

Old 09-03-2018, 10:46 PM
Baldo_the_Don is offline Baldo_the_Don

I like it!
Old 09-07-2018, 08:11 AM
Scott is offline Scott
AKA. Panther

Nice work!

04' Dodge SRT-4, Mopar Stage 3, 406whp/436wtq
Old 09-07-2018, 02:08 PM
Steve is offline Steve
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Steve
impressed
Old 07-13-2022, 06:38 PM

didn't much care for the mesh around the optics. The lenses didn't look right. I really like to get a new model for the G36, but I don't have the time to make one or the funds to buy one at the moment.

So, I just re modeled and textured the lens parts to look more as they should.

Old 07-13-2022, 11:19 PM
jabo1SFH is offline jabo1SFH

looks good.

Old 07-14-2022, 05:27 AM

You just gotta love attention to detail...

I'm attaching a screenshot that's kind of fun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SFOD_G36_SRGb.jpg (365.8 KB, 14 views)
Old 07-20-2022, 12:50 PM

Had to Remake my sight graphics for the updated model. Plus my previous optics were way more open than the real one is. At the time I didn't realize how awful this sighting system is in reality, haha.

Do you think I need to adjust the 3X reticle scale? looks kind of off to me. at least the ranging stadia does.

Old 07-20-2022, 02:42 PM

The screenshot I attached is my take on the G36 reticle for 3x mag. The methods I used to draw it got me 22px between the 200m stadia lines in that screenshot. Yours has 25px.

In another post I explained about the Training Target #1, the tall one. Copy-pasted from my notes:
05:02 11.05.2022
----------------
Training Target 1 (tall target, type_id 2151):

The 'head' is 30976 med units (47.27cm, 18.6") wide.

From top of the sandbags to top of the 'head' = [1][47872] (1.73m)

From the notch in the top of the sandbags to top of the 'head' = [1][53404] (1.81m)
So that's the item I use in my test range maps to check rangefinders and BDC hashes. My latest 5x ACOG chevron is just a tiny bit wider than the 'head' of the target at 300m. All the hashes on it seem wide-ish, but the resolution is not friendly to the artwork, you know?

I redid the ballistics, too. I got bits of this from two sources, but I googled up a 54.2" drop on a 5.56mm round at 500 yds. with a muzzle velocity of 3060 fps. So I set a steam grate on my range 457.2m from and tipped to face the firing position, then put a target #1 behind and flush with the steam grate, centered that 1.38m from the top of the target, and after setting the weapon.def and ammo.def to lab conditions, bullet velocity of 933, I tweaked the drag a bit, and a value of 0.5 put a round aimed boresight at the top of the target dead center on that steam grate.

I can work with that.

A few experiments later, I had the BDC you see on that ACOG reticle, though I had to reduce the velocity to 788m/s so I could get some space between the hashes. Wikipedia says the HK416 with a 10.4" barrel does that.

And that G36 reticle in my screenshot, the center cross is the 200m aimpoint. Set the inner edge of the ring on a helmet 400m away, that's a headshot. The 600m and 800m crosses are headshot accurate under lab conditions, but you'll hit a dude at those ranges in game, easy. You do have to hit them a few times before they go down, but you can hit them.

So I think your stadia could use a bit of work, maybe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SFOD_G36lo.jpg (370.6 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg SFOD_ACOG_500yds.jpg (326.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg SFOD_Grate_500yds.jpg (542.7 KB, 11 views)
Old 07-20-2022, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldo_the_Don View Post
The screenshot I attached is my take on the G36 reticle for 3x mag. The methods I used to draw it got me 22px between the 200m stadia lines in that screenshot. Yours has 25px.

In another post I explained about the Training Target #1, the tall one. Copy-pasted from my notes:
05:02 11.05.2022
----------------
Training Target 1 (tall target, type_id 2151):

The 'head' is 30976 med units (47.27cm, 18.6") wide.

From top of the sandbags to top of the 'head' = [1][47872] (1.73m)

From the notch in the top of the sandbags to top of the 'head' = [1][53404] (1.81m)
So that's the item I use in my test range maps to check rangefinders and BDC hashes. My latest 5x ACOG chevron is just a tiny bit wider than the 'head' of the target at 300m. All the hashes on it seem wide-ish, but the resolution is not friendly to the artwork, you know?

I redid the ballistics, too. I got bits of this from two sources, but I googled up a 54.2" drop on a 5.56mm round at 500 yds. with a muzzle velocity of 3060 fps. So I set a steam grate on my range 457.2m from and tipped to face the firing position, then put a target #1 behind and flush with the steam grate, centered that 1.38m from the top of the target, and after setting the weapon.def and ammo.def to lab conditions, bullet velocity of 933, I tweaked the drag a bit, and a value of 0.5 put a round aimed boresight at the top of the target dead center on that steam grate.

I can work with that.

A few experiments later, I had the BDC you see on that ACOG reticle, though I had to reduce the velocity to 788m/s so I could get some space between the hashes. Wikipedia says the HK416 with a 10.4" barrel does that.

And that G36 reticle in my screenshot, the center cross is the 200m aimpoint. Set the inner edge of the ring on a helmet 400m away, that's a headshot. The 600m and 800m crosses are headshot accurate under lab conditions, but you'll hit a dude at those ranges in game, easy. You do have to hit them a few times before they go down, but you can hit them.

So I think your stadia could use a bit of work, maybe.

Yeah I'm going to have to play with the scaling on it. Good thing I just made a tool in GIMP that allows me to place an image on to a canvas in Gimp where I want to see it on the screen in game and get the exact top/bottom and left/right values to put into the weapon DEF. Makes modifying sight layers much easier.

By the way, this might help you a bit with checking bullet drop, measuring scope markers and such at various distances... or really any other situation where you might need an accurate reference object.

it's a large 10x10m target billboard with 1x1m and 0.25m grid squares.

Made this to use instead of trying to find random objects in the MED that have the right size you need for reference.

Attached is a ZIP with the 3DI, textures, and med PCX. Thought maybe you'd find it useful.

Attached Files
File Type: zip gridtgt.zip (234.2 KB, 1 views)
Old 12-18-2022, 06:00 PM

I'm going all out on the guns. Scrapped the nova animations and I'm making my own for every gun. They're slowly looking better as I practice and improve my animation skills.

Here's the new animations for the G36 and P90. Let me know what you think!

Old 12-20-2022, 06:16 PM
jabo1SFH is offline jabo1SFH

nice!