Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Games > Delta Force

Delta Force Anything to do with the Delta Force series of games, DF1, DF2, LW, TFD, BHD, DFX, AF etc.

Old 04-01-2022, 06:05 AM
Baldo_the_Don is offline Baldo_the_Don

Okay, that is a well-done ACOG chevron!

And, duuuude! The weapon.def trick worked! The default loadout in the test map I made is wonky, and the MEd .3di frame models for the targets, steam grates, and tunnel arrows aren't working, but I put a tall target at 100m, 200m, and 300m, each with a steam grate for a face, and to advance the waypoints at each target, you have to hit the steam grate on the target's heads, one after the other, then you can go to the final waypoint next to the firing positon to end the mission. My standard test range stuff.

MEd's working now, and my wife's gonna be so mad!
Old 04-01-2022, 06:41 AM
Oscarmike247 is offline Oscarmike247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldo_the_Don View Post
MEd's working now, and my wife's gonna be so mad!
Hahaha!

Yeah, that's the only thing is the loadout doesn't work. If you're missing items, try using eagle eye's med from the download section.

https://novahq.net/files.php?ID=326

I'm not 100% sure but I think that's what I'm using. I had the same issue and I believe I downloaded this one and it fixed my missing items.

In any case, at least now you can set up some simple test maps. If I find a way to fix the MED crash I'll let you know. Please do the same if you figure it out first.
Old 04-02-2022, 04:59 PM

I did this today. It's untested and theoretical, but an unbelievably high resolution Schmidt & Bender P4L2BE crosshair all the same, managed through fudged .def mounting and wonked targa dimensions. It's unsustainable, 'cause changing game resolution or texture compression throws everything off center and washes it in blur and artifacts, and the subtentions can't be accurate through all the fudging and the wonking, but I just wanted to see if it could be done, and to demonstrate how NeverLogic could've carried the ball another yard or two before they dropped it, you know?

Maybe not. Dev-time and mod-time are scales different by magnitudes, I suppose. Could've been nice, though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SFODP4L2BEhi.jpg (353.3 KB, 18 views)
Old 04-02-2022, 07:29 PM

That looks fantastic!
Old 04-03-2022, 08:28 AM

* sigh *

Confession: that barrel a few posts ago? The one I used to test crosshair subtensions? It's not 1m wide. It's 80cm wide. I assumed NL reskinned the barrel from DFBHD, which actually is 1m wide, but it's a new, smaller asset.

All the crosshairs I tested with it are wrong. Explains why the subtensions I mathed up were off.

Lesson: assume nothing in these games. You'll waste so much more time correcting mistakes based on assumptions than you ever will confirming them.

I redrew the P4L2BE. It looks great tested at 1280×720 and 1920×1080, both at maximum and minimal texture compression. I'll assume other resolutions and settings are okay 'cause I'm not smart with my own lessons, and my time may be marginally limited, but my patience is short.

I tested an idea with the MEd/weapon.def problem. DFBHD mods are hard 'cause if there are more than (I may misremember this number) 56 valid weapon.def entries, problems ensue. I thought, they must've fixed that for new games, right? Right?!

Hm.

I opened the weapon.def for the SFOD mod, highlighted everything emplaced and below, CTRL-Xed them out, and saved it. Start the MEd? It opened fine. Open my test map? No problems. Accessed the Weapon Loadouts? Successful.

Conclusion: If your mod has too many weapons, the MEd hates it. I guess that's called a buffer overrun or maybe a stack overflow? Iunno... I'm so tired.

Request to the coders that increased the allowable valid item entry count in the item.def for various mods: perhaps see if something similar can be done for the allowable number of valid weapon.def entries, too?

I have it on very good authority that, ultimately, the answer is: Use more gun. We'd like some extra support on that front.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg SFODP4L2BElo.jpg (330.3 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by Baldo_the_Don; 04-03-2022 at 08:45 AM.
Old 04-04-2022, 04:53 PM

An idea I keep repressing about sniper scopes in NL games is that if you make an illuminated crosshair for one, and it isn't green, it looks weird with the NVGs on.

Attached is my improved illuminated crosshair for the L115A.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SFODSB525x52dark.jpg (194.5 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg SFODSB525x52nvg.jpg (153.2 KB, 20 views)
Old 04-07-2022, 04:33 AM

Screenshots of my improved tank cannon reticles, optimized for widescreen.

That's just an excuse to post this real info here: after some fairly careful testing and counting, I think the DFX2 MEd for the SFOD mod has a maximum allowable valid weapon.def entry count of 128.

To start the MEd in this mod, I scroll through the weapon.def to the start of the pick up weapons, CTRL+SHIFT+END to select them all, CTRL+X to cut them all out, save the weapon.def, start the MEd, then CTRL+V the PU weapons back into the weapon.def, then save it again.

Clunky, but effective.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SFODretM1A1.jpg (303.1 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg SFODretT80.jpg (237.9 KB, 21 views)
Old 04-07-2022, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Screenshots of my improved tank cannon reticles, optimized for widescreen.

That's just an excuse to post this real info here: after some fairly careful testing and counting, I think the DFX2 MEd for the SFOD mod has a maximum allowable valid weapon.def entry count of 128.

To start the MEd in this mod, I scroll through the weapon.def to the start of the pick up weapons, CTRL+SHIFT+END to select them all, CTRL+X to cut them all out, save the weapon.def, start the MEd, then CTRL+V the PU weapons back into the weapon.def, then save it again.

Clunky, but effective.
looking good Baldo!

I'm experimenting with my new tank model to add a turret position indicator.

I don't think it's possible to add animated hud icons, let alone ones attached to a control register (could be wrong). so I added a 2d plane in front of the camera on the tank turret with a tank turret graphic, and set UV texture control registers in the OED to rotate the texture based on the turret YAW position. so now you have what looks like a hud icon on your screen that shows you which direction you're pointing the main gun relative to the tank heading. The improvement on situational awareness is huge.
Old 04-20-2022, 03:13 PM

I don't know how NovaHQers feel about Counter-Strike: Condition Zero, but I like it, and I put some effort into learning how to make sprites and custom crosshairs, so take a look at the screenies attached and enjoy.

Note that the thin lines from the edges of the scope are not mine, I can't figure out where they are in the game files, so I can't edit them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cs_backalley0000.jpg (101.8 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg cs_backalley0001.jpg (88.7 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg cs_backalley0002.jpg (89.7 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg cs_italy_cz0000.jpg (166.1 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg cs_italy_cz0003.jpg (180.0 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg cs_italy_cz0004.jpg (164.8 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg cs_italy_cz0005.jpg (143.2 KB, 22 views)
Old 04-26-2022, 02:55 PM

Is it annoying that I post stuff from other games?

These are from Day of Defeat. I may have made the german reticle a little fat, but I don't think I did. The angles and proportions are correct as far as I can tell, but the gap in the horizon is supposed to be what I call "dude-wide" at 50m, but not having a confirmably dude-wide target or a way to confirm distance, it's all guessing and aesthetics.

I may figure it out some day.

Edit: tweaked the Enfield a bit. Improved the point on the vertical.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dod_k98.jpg (214.1 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg dod_springfield.jpg (216.3 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg dod_enfield2.jpg (215.6 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by Baldo_the_Don; 04-27-2022 at 09:12 AM.
Old 04-26-2022, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Is it annoying that I post stuff from other games?

These are from Day of Defeat. I may have made the german reticle a little fat, but I don't think I did. The angles and proportions are correct as far as I can tell, but the gap in the horizon is supposed to be what I call "dude-wide" at 50m, but not having a confirmably dude-wide target or a way to confirm distance, it's all guessing and aesthetics.

I may figure it out some day.
not really annoying. I'm just more interested in joint ops stuff because I don't play or mod those other game.
Old 05-04-2022, 04:15 PM

I've been attempting this reply for a few days. I might manage it now. It might be long.

TL;DR: I think good modding needs decent math, and decent math works in mods of every game. Lessons may overlap.

Basic info:

The screen shot of the soldier clipping through the crate is to illustrate that the 101st Airborne logo on the crate is almost a dude wide.

The photo of the page from an old german military training manual shows how the german reticle #1 can be used to estimate range.

Then the screenshot of the crate through the scope of the Kar-98 from the bunker. The careful observer may notice how everything but the front of the crate is invisible. Day of Defeat has a fog mechanic editable through the console and .cfg files. I set the fog to start at 2626 map units away, and end 2627 map units away. Tells you little 'til I explain that each map unit is .75 inches, so 2626 x .75 = 1969.5 inches x 2.54cm/inch = 5002.53cm, or a bit over 50m. Also note that the almost dude-wide Airborne logo is almost as wide as the gap in the horizon of the reticle, as the old german training manual would lead you to expect.

I did that on purpose.

Now I call your attention the dod_reticle_sprite. The sniper scope reticle sprites in Day of Defeat are 256 px square, contain 4 frames, each frame being one quadrant of the reticle. The tricky bit is knowing about the highlighted areas in that image. Each 256 px² quadrant is mounted in-game excluding the outer 25 px and the inner 2 px, or more clearly, only 229 px² of each quadrant is visible in-game, meaning the reticle graphic is actually 458 px wide.

I calculated the gap in the horizon of the Kar-98 reticle like this: what I call 'dude-wide' is 19", or 48.26cm, a standard target width. A circle with a 50m radius is 50 x 6.2831853 = 314.16927m in circumference (I've memorized rad, 6.2831853, specifically for this kind of math). 0.4826m ÷ 314.15927m = 0.0015361, which is the proportion of a circle with a 50m radius that target covers, and if we multiply that by 6400 mils, we establish that the gap should be 9.83104 mils wide (or 9.6516009 mrads, or 0.552996°, or 33.17976 moa, as you prefer).

I'm not including notes and screenshots of this, but I confirmed to the best of my abilities that the zoom field of view on all sniper scopes in Day of Defeat is 22°. 22° is 391.11111 mils.

A 9.83104 mil gap divided by a 391.11111 mil fov gives us a proportion of 0.0251361, times a 458px reticle graphic is an 11.512333px gap.

Round that up to 12 px. See in the sprite graphic that from the in-game visible center to the edge of the gap is 6 px on each side. See the through-scope screenshot how close I got it.

You might see that the absolutely anachronistic illuminated rangefinder reticle has dude-wide subtensions at 50m. That reticle is not only not WW2 era authentic, it's also very wrong for the magnification, but it was fun to do. It is internally correct, though. The crosshair subtensions are 1 moa each, so the 100 yard line at the top of the choke is a little more than 17 moa at the inside edge of the curves. That equates to 18" wide at 100 yds. Each line (2 moa) below the other is 18" wide 25 yds further away, as far as my math is not wrong. Speaking of which, my one calculation says this reticle requires a 70x magnification, the other says 65x. A third says 25x. Iunno...

I think if I knew how to do sin, cosin, and tangents, I'd get stronger results, but that's beyond me. Sometimes, close-enough-for-government-work is the best I can do.

Also, scope sway on the sniper rifles in this game is non-stop and random, it's less when you go prone, but never gone. No breath control key. All you can do is work against it and hope. A lot of screenshots were also ruined by the artillery shaking things up so often.

The Half-Life mod I tested the scope zoom in had an FOV limit of 10°, I'm assuming all HL mods have the same limit. And lastly, very few of the maps in Day of Defeat had any sightlines 50m or longer. I highly doubt you'll find a 100m sightline anywhere in this mod at all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dod_dude-wide.jpg (602.1 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg dod_charlie_Kar98.jpg (236.1 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg dod_reticle_sprite.jpg (37.9 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg dod_illuminatedRF.jpg (248.9 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg Beispiele_des_Entfernungsschätzens_mit_Zielfernrohr_lo.jpg (752.7 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by Baldo_the_Don; 05-04-2022 at 04:43 PM.
Old 05-05-2022, 09:29 PM

FAKE-OG reticles for DoD, in two flavors: illuminated and plain!

Extra Info: The way sprites work for Half-Life crosshairs/reticles, you can have more than one color with no blending, only one color with blending, but you cannot have more than one color and blending.

Annoyingly, Half-Life is hard-coded to disallow additive transparency for crosshairs, so you can't have a crosshair that adjusts its brightness to its background, and I hate that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dod_fake-og_illuminated.jpg (224.3 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg dod_fake-og.jpg (308.3 KB, 20 views)
Old 05-07-2022, 01:43 PM

I think this Hensoldt worked out nice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dod_hensoldt.jpg (251.2 KB, 21 views)
Old 05-25-2022, 02:46 PM

I did this in the mod of the BF2 demo I fool around with from time to time.

Attached screenshots of the little FAKE-OG I made for the M4. I'm not particularly happy with it being all red, but after many attempts to work some solid black lines in with a nice glowy chevron and failing at one or the other, I did what I could with what I have so far. Wish me luck in my future experiments.

Not shown are the big FAKE-OG, the Eotech holograph, and the smaller simple red dot I did up for the M4, or the Kobra T reticle I did for the AK74u. They're all nice enough, though.

I really wish I could mod the sniper rifle crosshairs, but they seem to be part of the mesh bundles, and that level of modding BF2 is beyond me at the moment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg screen038.jpg (491.4 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg screen037.jpg (447.7 KB, 22 views)
Old 06-04-2022, 08:25 PM

I have a thread in the Battlefield section of this site now. I may have solved the FAKE-OG improvements, and you see screenshots here:

https://novahq.net/forum/showpost.ph...39&postcount=4
Old 07-09-2022, 12:49 PM

Hey, look at this! I've been tweaking the SFOD mod again. Remember that German #1 reticle I had on the SR-25? I did up a PSO-1-1 for it today. 4x mag. correctly scaled mrad subtensions and rangefinder. And I do love illuminating me a nice chevron.

Also, I've been drawing the T-reticle of the Kobra optic on the AK-74 incorrectly. I attempt amends with this screenshot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SFOD_SR25_PSO11.JPG (591.7 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg SFOD_Kobra_T.jpg (377.0 KB, 21 views)
Old 07-11-2022, 07:40 AM

The SFOD mod: I edited the Dragunov to be fixed at 4x mag., and redrew the PSO-1 reticle at 3px per mrad. It's not great, but it is authentic. I can't love it, but I don't hate it.

The layout's accurate to the two reference images I have, the mrad subtensions are true, and the rangefinder is functional.

At 4x mag., targets beyond 500m are difficult to see (at 1280×720 [Edit: Tried 1920×1080 in the mission 'Operation: Poison Arrow'. Didn't improve much.]). The chevron is barely a chevron, but the green illumination makes it clear enough.

I tried making the whole thing illuminated red, but it glared on dark maps, faded on bright maps, and looked so wrong in the NVGs. The green chevron stands out well in any lighting conditon, and is razor sharp in the NVGs, even if it disappears in brighter spots.

I worked out a good method for drawing the curve which took a long time to master, and is likely one of the most useless tricks I know, but I do know it now.

I don't think I'll be leaving the Dragunov fixed at 4x mag. with this reticle, but I could.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SFOD_PSO1x4a.jpg (303.8 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg SFOD_PSO1x4b.jpg (300.6 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by Baldo_the_Don; 07-11-2022 at 09:53 PM.
Old 07-13-2022, 07:42 AM

The HP mouse that came with this computer, that's had a screwed up mouse wheel axle for ages, that's had a stiffening cable, and that I've been repairing over and over again for years has finally died today. I hated that mouse but I'll miss it, 'cause it was slim, a little grippy, and I was so used to it.

The back up mouse is from Microsoft. It's a little too narrow, a little too thick, a little too slippy, and the friggin' wheel is so friggin' stiff that I constantly end up middle-clicking just trying to get it to turn.

So, I am of the grump today, but the illuminated PSO-1 reticle for the SFOD mod looks nice. I've rejiggered the Dragunov to be more of a DMR than an actual sniper rifle, in that you can move while ADSsed, but the NVGs blobbify the lines, although those lines can now be red without looking weird in the NVGs. It's sniper accurate, but has only 4x mag. I'm enjoying the upgrade in magazine capacity, but only 'cause, man, I am not a good sniper.

I also made a red illuminated version of the PSO-1-1 reticle which looks much like this one, chromatically, and I like it more, it's more my style, in that the chevron is big and less easy to lose track of, but I wanted to post documentation on this particular step in my progress on reticle illumination in NeverLogic game mods.

And mourn my mouse.

Edit: Fine, screenshot of the PSO-1-1, too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SFOD_PSO1_ill.jpg (301.1 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg SFOD_PSO11_ill.jpg (345.5 KB, 17 views)
Old 07-13-2022, 06:15 PM

Really digging the PSO. I need to make my illuminated. I've got the reticle and scale correct for the range marks, just need to see them at night.

Tags
bhd mods, bhd sights, m60 sights, optical sights, wtf