Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Computers > Hardware and Software
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Hardware and Software Discuss hardware, software and security related stuff

Old 06-26-2007, 08:03 AM
-Tigger- is offline -Tigger-
BB

Vista :O

i decided to try running vista without using the default theme that they have, so im using the old style windows theme and all i can say is the performance increase and speed of vista is amazing now

if ur running vista and having performance issues try changing the theme

ps. i dont want this thread 2 turn in2 a discussion about how poop vista is, it has less problems than XP i have had 1 blue screen on vista compared to lots of XP
Old 06-26-2007, 08:29 AM
IcIshoot is offline IcIshoot

Send a message via AIM to IcIshoot Send a message via MSN to IcIshoot Send a message via Yahoo to IcIshoot
lol, I have never had a blue screen on XP

I'm just waiting until I get more money to get vista... Hate how MS makes all the good stuff so expensive

Any idea how much faster it performs? Not that I'm surprised, turn off the eye candy, less stuff has to be processed.

IcI
Old 06-26-2007, 09:31 AM
BB

well, the performance is very noticable, bit like running XP on 512mb of ram and then upgrading to 2GB, it freed up around 300mb of ram
Old 07-24-2007, 05:54 PM
Sal UK is offline Sal UK

Send a message via ICQ to Sal UK
I just upgraded the old computer to duel prossesor and vista, I knew I shouldhave kept to building my own. But as I get older I find myself not wanting to go through the hastle.

Anyway I bought a pre built and I had to upgrade the Graphics card, As the onboard intel just wasnt good enough, I replaced it with a sort of Value card
a Geforce 8500GT 512MB, Why does the Graphics still add 255MB of system ram to it i dont know..lol But I have another gig or ram arriving tomorrow or thursday to go with the gig installed.

I do like Vista and now since these small upgrades to the base machine I find it fast enough for me at the moment. I have an Expierance score of 4.5 out of 6 this should raise up a little when I get the new 1gig ram installed.

I dont know if you know BB but Play have 1 gig of Kingston Value ram for £17.99 £70.00 off retail.

Anyway I am still trying to get to grips and still have to work out what works and what dont.

So I will post what my thoughts are on it in a few days time.

Sal.

Last edited by Sal UK; 07-24-2007 at 06:06 PM.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:51 AM
Scott is offline Scott
AKA. Panther

I also just switched over to vista. It came installed on my laptop, I played with it for a few hours and decided that I really like it.

There are a few things that annoy me though, like the inability to change file type icons to my custom ones and not being able to really customize windows explorer. Also dragging and dropping files in explorer is a lot different, I sometimes end up putting them inside other folders, so I can't find them later. But the awesome search helps with that. Some things are difficult the find at first but you get used to it, and start to see the benefits after you just accept it.

Run it on my desktop full time now also. All my games work, all my programs work. Vista boots faster than XP on both my laptop and desktop. Laptop is Core2Duo 2.2GHz with 4GB ram, desktop is AMD x2 6000+ @3.2GHz with 4GB ram.

04' Dodge SRT-4, Mopar Stage 3, 406whp/436wtq
Old 07-25-2007, 03:03 AM
Chrispy is offline Chrispy

Send a message via MSN to Chrispy Send a message via Yahoo to Chrispy
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott
I also just switched over to vista. It came installed on my laptop, I played with it for a few hours and decided that I really like it.

There are a few things that annoy me though, like the inability to change file type icons to my custom ones and not being able to really customize windows explorer. Also dragging and dropping files in explorer is a lot different, I sometimes end up putting them inside other folders, so I can't find them later. But the awesome search helps with that. Some things are difficult the find at first but you get used to it, and start to see the benefits after you just accept it.

Run it on my desktop full time now also. All my games work, all my programs work. Vista boots faster than XP on both my laptop and desktop. Laptop is Core2Duo 2.2GHz with 4GB ram, desktop is AMD x2 6000+ @3.2GHz with 4GB ram.
Would you prefer Vista over XP?

Haven't tried Vista yet - but if I do ever use it and I run into anything I don't like, it's only a matter of just getting used to it really. Meh, I'm staying with XP till who knows.

Chris
Intel Core Duo E7300 2.66GHz // SuperTalent DDR2 800 2GB // ASUS nVidia GeForce 8400GS 512MB // Western Digital 7200RPM 320GB SATA // LG GH-20LS 20X SATA DVD-RAM // Windows XP Pro 32-bit // Thermaltake XP550 NP 430W // Thermaltake SOPRANO SECC Black
Old 07-25-2007, 06:08 AM
BB

i noticed that ram on play.com, but vista is on my dell laptop (yes i said dell, and its gud..), but i have 2GB inside it anyway, and it seems 2 b more than enuff
Old 07-25-2007, 12:10 PM
Scott is offline Scott
AKA. Panther

Quote:
Originally posted by Chrispy
Would you prefer Vista over XP?
If you have a PC that can handle it, yes.

04' Dodge SRT-4, Mopar Stage 3, 406whp/436wtq
Old 07-25-2007, 01:22 PM
Stephen is offline Stephen
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Stephen Send a message via AIM to Stephen Send a message via Yahoo to Stephen
From what ive seen you need atleast 1 Gb memory to run it smooth.

"If the whole universe has no meaning, we should never have found out that it has no meaning: just as, if there were no light in the universe and therefore no creatures with eyes, we should never know it was dark. Dark would be without meaning."
-- C.S. Lewis
Old 07-25-2007, 05:52 PM
DevilDog#1 is offline DevilDog#1

Mac OS X all the way baby!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
If I don't do that doesn't mean I can't - DD#1