Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Computers > Hardware and Software
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Hardware and Software Discuss hardware, software and security related stuff

Old 07-16-2013, 11:22 AM
black hawk is offline black hawk

Is my computer dying?

Nowadays, my computer usually hangs after every 20 minutes or so. At first i thought that it was due to some virus or worm, because the computer used to slow down extremely bad while using internet. But a lot of scanning showed no result. Soon, and i mean soon, my computer stated to hang (offline), and sometimes, I don't even get the startup screen. It even hangs in the BIOS screen. My hard disk is almost 8 years old, so the question is, that is the hard disk's S.M.A.R.T signalling me something, or is the culprit something else. Can the RAM also be the issue, because sometimes, I have to remove my RAM, clean it and then again insert it, for the computer to get going.
Even after that, it would hang after 10-20 mins, or even less. Finally, my DVD combo is also around 10 years old, but I don't think that has anything to do with it. I am pretty sure there is no virus or any other malware.
Old 07-16-2013, 02:17 PM
Scott is offline Scott
AKA. Panther

I'd lean towards a power or heat issue. I would also make sure the hard drive is not failing by running chkdisk with both options checked..

04' Dodge SRT-4, Mopar Stage 3, 406whp/436wtq
Old 07-16-2013, 05:56 PM
SilentTrigger is offline SilentTrigger
-1PARA-

As scott said, it defenetly points either heat or power.

Get any beeps at post that you didn't get before? That could give you a hint of thats wrong.

If it ware the memory you would most sertainly get a BSOD (Blue Screen Of Death)

My photography website

Old 07-17-2013, 10:33 AM

Usually, after the system hangs, chkdisk runs at startup, but it does not show anything. But i will do what you said scott. No, I don't get any beeps at startup, and BSOD last came up a few months ago, reason unknown, but currently, it has not yet shown its face.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:42 AM

Opened my pc after a long while. The pc just keeps hanging, and this time, i touched my pc's graphics card after shut down. It was very hot. Even the ram was, and in general, the whole pc was, in very short time. Overheating was a problem since the time i assembled this pc, but for the past 3 years, i have been keeping its one side completely open. Dust could be an issue, but I have also cleaned it thoroughly. What next?
Old 08-26-2013, 11:46 AM
Hellfighter is offline Hellfighter
Chief ADFP

Send a message via ICQ to Hellfighter
i would try to get a new CPU fan for it, maybe the old one is not keeping cool like it should, over heating maybe

you need to know what socket size or type CPU is on the mother broad for the right type of CPU fan you need to replace the older on. maybe add fans for the whole tower as will for the case to mount into the opening bring in cool air then you don't need to keep one side open all the time. most cpu fans and tower fans are cheap to buy just need to know the type or size of fan you need is all

psu maybe over work and need to be replace as will, if sample you added a new video card to the system it may draw more power from under power PSU sample 250w is to low to handle greater demand of that is needed 450w being draw, most time system will cut off i would think

update the bois has it good points and bad points, i been told don't update it unless you having trouble with it then try it. bois can be install with older bois installer too undo the update bois

turn power off or unplug the tower; you can remove the battier from mob then turn it on then wait till green light on the mob die off then place the battier back on the mob, doing so reset the bois setting to default. keep in-mind the clock be off so need to reset that from desktop

keep in-mind what the setting were so you can Chang them back sample bootup disable to using USB port and so on so you know what needs to be enable

* i would try to replace the CPU fan and see how it work out then, if not look into the PSU replace it
* as for adding more fan for the tower, you need to know the tower case type or modle number to search for type of fan can be added to it by size, save trouble check out computer repair shop take tower to them they can add more fans to it. reason they mostly have all type and size of fans for it on hand
*Discord: Unknown77#7121
Playing now days: EA Games> swtor [star wars old republic]

Last edited by Hellfighter; 08-26-2013 at 12:08 PM.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:53 AM
grenadier501 is offline grenadier501
JO mod maker

try renewing the thermal paste in both motherboard CPU and graphic card GPU..
you can get good thermal paste for 5 dollars..
Old 09-07-2013, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grenadier501 View Post
try renewing the thermal paste in both motherboard CPU and graphic card GPU..
you can get good thermal paste for 5 dollars..
I changed the thermal paste, and the pc worked fine for two days. Since then, my pc has developed a new problem of shutting down abruptly, when itwants, especially while gaming, but the pain is that it shuts down even while playing Max Payne. Could it be due to the fact that the motherboard cpu fan is not fitted properly? While putting it back, some of the pointy things, made up of plastic would just not enter the holes, and finally, when I did manage to fit, some of them simply fell apart. I assure you that it feels absolutely tight in the motherboard, but still?
Old 09-08-2013, 01:32 AM
SilentTrigger is offline SilentTrigger
-1PARA-

It defenetly sounds like a heat problem with the CPU

My photography website

Old 09-09-2013, 09:27 AM
MAJWIZ is offline MAJWIZ

BLACKHAWK: I work with computers every day (ASUSTEK) get a program called CRYSTAL DISK INFO (it's free) It will tell you everything about your hard drives, including temp c/f. Another program is cpu-z for your cpu it's also free. All CPU Meter V3.9 is a gadget (w7) that will tell you the temp. of your cpu (free). what your describing is a heat issue.
you may have a fan that's running to slow or not moving enough cool air. some bios show fan speeds, yours may also.

My system has 6 fans in my antec tower with a 10" on the top. (towers has 10 harddrives 9-2Tb and 1-500Gb Boot. 6 harddrives aree fill with computer drivers. Everything stills runs hot. cpu 118-130 deg. hard drives 87-95 deg.
good luck
Old 09-16-2013, 12:08 PM
Guest001 is offline Guest001

With all the heat, gunk and dust etc... I reckon you need approx. 9 - 10 liters of water and a sledge hammer.

Oh, don't forget to backup your system first.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by black hawk View Post
Nowadays, my computer usually hangs after every 20 minutes or so. At first i thought that it was due to some virus or worm, because the computer used to slow down extremely bad while using internet. But a lot of scanning showed no result. Soon, and i mean soon, my computer stated to hang (offline), and sometimes, I don't even get the startup screen. It even hangs in the BIOS screen. My hard disk is almost 8 years old, so the question is, that is the hard disk's S.M.A.R.T signalling me something, or is the culprit something else. Can the RAM also be the issue, because sometimes, I have to remove my RAM, clean it and then again insert it, for the computer to get going.
Even after that, it would hang after 10-20 mins, or even less. Finally, my DVD combo is also around 10 years old, but I don't think that has anything to do with it. I am pretty sure there is no virus or any other malware.
Seriously you probably just need to clean it all thoroughly.

Take everything out and clean and clear all vents etc...

For the MoBo use a stiff pig-bristle artists brush a blow dryer or similar and pay attention to fan grills of course but especially clear the corners at the base of chips and terminals of encrusted deposits.

Make sure the breather holes in HDD drive enclosures are clear of obstructions. (yes they have vents)

Smear a minimal amount paste on the both the CPU and heat-sink.
"You will get better adherence and it will fit together easier and also to stop it slopping about after install because of excess".

IMPORTANT:
Put the side cover back on to increase case ventilation.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:32 AM

Sorry for this late reply, but I recently had a few exams and was suffering from Chicken Pox. Over these days, after doing all that cleaning stuff, here's what happened:
1. The computer rarely hangs, but usually shuts down when I start gaming.
2. There are times when gaming also works without any problems, but the static crackling noise forces me to shut down.
3. I have also noticed extremely slow performance, even the pointer starts moving slowly, when the crackling noise is too much.
4. I had shifted my pc to another room, and initially, there was no such problem of sound, so I guess something is wrong again with the hardware.

Also, the PSU makes quite a roaring sound when the pc starts, and quites down after some use. So, is the PSU the main culprit, by not supplying enough power, or the whole PC has become of a bottleneck.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:08 PM

Get a used PSU from a mate for a few bucks or maybe free.
Determine that the problem is not from the powerpoint or PSU.

Then proceed...
Old 11-08-2013, 07:23 AM
Hellfighter is offline Hellfighter
Chief ADFP

Send a message via ICQ to Hellfighter
it could be your cards Rams running low or could be burning out!

CPU fan maybe need to be replace or its loaded with dust,, cure-tip easy dry wipe across the fan blade, then after blow the cpu fan case/ housing off

some times having item near the computer/ laptop like large fans running, Tv-set on, radio....ect do test is by have all item turn-on then turn-off each item one at a time till it goes away
*Discord: Unknown77#7121
Playing now days: EA Games> swtor [star wars old republic]
Old 11-08-2013, 10:25 AM
MAJWIZ is offline MAJWIZ

BLACKHAWK: what size power supply are you running? (in watts) as i stated before i work on/with computer daily. if the power input is not sufficent to run all hdd's, graphic card (s) etc. the power supply will go into thermal shutdown. also check the motherboard for bulged capacitors. (i found that will let the machine run and then just shut down). (also as stompem stated close up the side panel for better air flow) good luck
Old 11-08-2013, 01:24 PM

The hotter the psu gets, the more resistance across the transformer coils and so the less power it can transduce.
The same with all PC electrical componants, clean is mean.
Old 11-11-2013, 04:18 AM

PSU is of 400W. What about the crackling noise? I had earlier posted a thread about the same issue, but cleaning the pc worked then. Now, after I shifted my pc to another room, I again hear these noises, and I can't seem to find any solution. I read in one of the forums, that the house wiring could be creating those static charges, but since I didn't face this problem initially after shifitng the pc, can I rule that possibility out?
Old 11-11-2013, 05:28 AM
chief*ADFP* is offline chief*ADFP*
Hellfighter

Send a message via ICQ to chief*ADFP*
i had speaker system that was to close to my computer another time it was my ceiling fan gone bad made my sound in my computer heard cracking noises. it can be from many thing even a mic on the computer running disconnect see if the noises go away, could be bad wiring speaker connection or mic plug-in, or even web-cam gone bad too

when i use computer sound connection to tv set and open say Firefox i get a loud buzzing sound, less after i close out firefox, same for other browsers too sadly. have to turn down the sound on tv-set the buzzing noises fade away some

VGA and Stereo sound (computer) connect to back of Tv-set input

Last edited by chief*ADFP*; 11-11-2013 at 06:41 AM.
Old 11-11-2013, 12:18 PM

Try This

Turn your sound system gain down to lowest volume possible to still hear and use the windows control for most of the volume, this will reduce back emf (feedback and static amplification from the PC)

DFX2 is the worst one for ir.