Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Computers > Tech Support
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Tech Support Have a problem? Maybe we can help!

Old 06-11-2014, 01:43 PM
black hawk is offline black hawk

Serious help needed.

I need some urgent solutions. As you might know, I recently upgraded my rig some 6-7 months ago. Everything had been fine, until yesterday, when I was listening music on my pc, when suddenly, out of nowhere, it abruptly ended, and the message on the monitor was " Reboot and select a correct boot loader." I rebooted, but the pc just showed nothing, absolute blank.
I shut down the computer and again started it, this time it started but I noticed it was not detecting the hard disk at all, and thus no boot loader. So, i opened the cabinet and checked the connections and restarted.
Now, the pc which would boot and start up the os in around 10 minutes and opens up the desktop further in around 30 mins. It shows the boot loader after a minute, loads the os in around 30 mins, and still works like it has been infested with all the viruses in the world. There is no virus infestation, I am certain of that.
One common thing I noticed in both XP and 7 is that when they finally start, they throw up an error saying that the recycle bin is corrupt and it needs to be cleared. Even after clearing it, they throw the same message again. The pc is working so slow that it is useless to open it.
Also, in XP avast anti virus will just not start and says that RPC server is not available. When i open any file or windows explorer in it, the taskbar shows nothing on it. Sometimes, it would even take 10 minutes to open the bios, and i am pretty certain that many of the operating systems functions(both xp and 7) are not working. I am not sure, but I also think that very fine, and occasionally some faint crackling noise comes form the hard disk. But all this in one day isn't just too much?
So finally is there a major problem with my hard disk, or something else is malfunctioning. One thing that might support this is that I was working on windows 7, but it has also affected windows xp. Will something like a recovery disk help me? Check disk also checks the hard disk at such a slow pace that it might take a whole day to complete the process.
Old 06-11-2014, 11:26 PM
Hellfighter is offline Hellfighter
Chief ADFP

Send a message via ICQ to Hellfighter
sound like your bios gone bad

easy fix turn off> unplug the unit from any outlets> then remove the battery on the mother broad and wait 10min, then place the battery back in. keep in mind try to remember what the setting were say sample boot-up USB (port) item and Drives you may have and other setting. all these most case be enable anyways, but most case the USB will be disable from booting up, easy fix boot-up USB enable it

try remove the battery from the mother broad and place back in after 5-10min all the setting should be reset to original setting! or if you can re-install bios update get the one from the maker of the mother broad or take it PC repairs shop

bios timer stamp be reset to the stander date it was release, that's easy fix to after it been reset

Quote:
but I also think that very fine, and occasionally some faint crackling noise comes form the hard disk. But all this in one day isn't just too much?
So finally is there a major problem with my hard disk, or something else is malfunctioning. One thing that might support this is that I was working on windows 7, but it has also affected windows xp. Will something like a recovery disk help me? Check disk also checks the hard disk at such a slow pace that it might take a whole day to complete the process.
if this is a Disc writer/ player check see if there a broken disc in it, if so 9-10 the unit is no longer any good have to replace it, i know it my totally gone bad and made other error happen

if this is hard drive go to windows run type in: chkdsk /f (then press enter key) reboot the system and wait to you get to log-in screen works with windows xp and windows 7

chkdsk /f (fast scan 20min to a hour most case)
chkdsk /f /r (through scan take hours)

count on how large the hard drive is more space for storage longer it takes to scan

windows 7 (F8) have a repair option to use, it will check see any of it system files gone bad or repair to the last time it work good and repair it, but in your case don't think that do you any good been to long now

save ton of headaches take it to a PC repair shop they test it for you and give a report to you, only to will known PC repair shop not some one that is unknown or person who say they do it for you off the back! lot of company use PC repair shop to service their computer!

sorry to hear you having trouble with your system hope you can work it out!

if it a disc writer/ player making that sound disconnect it then boot the pc up see if that was it! should run better
*Discord: Unknown77#7121
Playing now days: EA Games> swtor [star wars old republic]

Last edited by Hellfighter; 06-12-2014 at 12:45 PM.
Old 06-12-2014, 01:26 AM
Guest001 is offline Guest001

This used to be easier in 98 and XP etc...

The boot manager has lost the plot (not uncommon)

The process is the same but the syntax has changed

Check all your connections just in case but it just happens most times

Insert your windows 7 disk (you use the install or repair disk of the latest OS for this fix) and let it load then select the options to get to a command prompt and type in the following in this order:

bootrec.exe /FIXMBR

then press enter

Next, type in:

bootrec.exe /FIXBOOT

then press enter

When you get back in windows do a full boot scan for rootkits just in case.

PS
2 other commands as a last resort are

/ScanOS

and

/RebuildBcd

Last edited by Guest001; 06-12-2014 at 01:38 AM.
Old 06-13-2014, 09:20 AM

Use Sardu (a free tool) to recover and manage your partitions and boot devices, making your life easier in the future.

Old 07-17-2014, 09:12 PM
black hawk is offline black hawk

I finally had the time to send my computer to a repair shop. After his inspection, his first reaction was, as every common mechanic says over here, format your pc. Later when his boss came there and heard my case, he asked to check the hard disk model, and as soon as he knew it was a WD product, instantly told me, that these new drives have some problem where the rpm gets too slow. Since the hard disk is in warranty, i can get it replaced. I have installed a secondary 80GB hard disk for the time being, but cannot recover any data while using this one ( it does not read anything on it, even though it tells the amount of free space and the space used), though the damaged one still works and reads data horrendously slowly on its own. So, can Sardu recover the data from that hard drive or will i need any other recovery software? Also, can the thing about western digital drive having manufacturing defect be true? I only took this because I have heard good things about it, even though my whole life, i have only seen seagate hard drives being used at home, and to me they have never caused any problem.
Old 07-18-2014, 02:14 AM

SARDU has a bunch of tools for exactly your problem so get it installed on a USB - make sure the problem HDD in question is connected, then go to your bios and set the Boot order to:

1. USB Hardrive
2. CD/DVD
3. HDD

Reboot with the USB inserted in a USB port and be ready to hit any key to boot from USB when prompted.

You will boot up into a screen with options to use tools or install a version of Ubuntu Linux, which can "see" windows data and is handy for moving, copying or deleting windows files.

!!!CAUTION: Anything you delete with Ubuntu Linux or the other tools will not be as easily recovered or undone.

Later when you've restored the partition and moved or saved all the data you can, run Windows and look up a free program called RECUVA to find deleted or hidden windows data on your disks.

Last edited by Guest001; 07-18-2014 at 02:28 AM.
Old 08-11-2014, 03:42 PM
SilentTrigger is offline SilentTrigger
-1PARA-

Definitely possible that there are manufacturing problems. It doesn't mean the brand is bad. I use WD on both my gaming PC (SSD is main HD which is not a WD) and server that is on 24/7. Those in the server have been running for at least 6 years in several computers and server applications that are HD intensive

The server has suffered many unexpected shutdowns from powercuts, Swedish electrical grid is really good and the main grid has not been down in the last 40 years but in my town it's really crappy so there are about 15 power cuts a year, especially during the summer with lightning strikes, they rarely last for more then a second so the server starts back up again, lost again for a second and then boots up again. This is during both medium to high HD writing/reading. So they are not crap

My photography website