Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Computers > Hardware and Software

Hardware and Software Discuss hardware, software and security related stuff

Old 11-14-2013, 02:19 AM
black hawk is offline black hawk

I think that my psu has gone kaput. This may sound strange, but it's true. Yesterday, I turned on my pc, got all the same problems, and again heard a roaring sound from the psu. Because of this the cabinet was vibrating a little bit. So i pressed the cabinet from both sides. To my surprise, the crackling noise turned down to some extent (especially near the psu) and again became loud as I removed my hands. Then, I opened my pc cabinet, and pressed the psu hard from the bottom, and voila, complete silence. As I removed it, the sounds came back. Now, I think there's some component loose or haywire in the psu itself, which might be sending bad power. What do you people think?
Old 11-14-2013, 03:27 AM
Guest001 is offline Guest001

The only thing that moves in a PSU is the Fan (older ones may have a mechanical make break relay type setup)

So that sounds like it would be the PSU fan bearing.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:39 AM
chief*ADFP* is offline chief*ADFP*
Hellfighter

Send a message via ICQ to chief*ADFP*
less headaches replace the PSU with higher wattage one

sample 450wat replace with a 550wat or higher one

best check the wiring on it to match it with same type PSU

most of the time psu gone totally bad it all power off! guess your was a diehard fan lol
Old 11-16-2013, 07:29 AM

heck, I am thinking of upgrading my whole cpu. I am on a low budget, but this configuration seemS ok for my usage:
AMD A4 4000 Processor 3.0 GHz
Biostar Hi-fi A55S3 Motherboard
Transcend 4gb Ram (ts512mlk72v1n)
LG GH24NS95 DVD Drive

I hope the stock cpu fan comes with this processor. I was satisfied with it's performance, especially with it's price. There are better processors, but I wanted to make a cheap amd pc, and this seemed pretty good. I haven't selected the psu and harddisk. The dealer has WD hard drives, and I will make sure the psu is a good one. For this configuration, will a 350W PSU do the work, or do I need a 400W-450W PSU?
Old 11-16-2013, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by black hawk View Post
heck, I am thinking of upgrading my whole cpu. I am on a low budget, but this configuration seemS ok for my usage:
AMD A4 4000 Processor 3.0 GHz
Biostar Hi-fi A55S3 Motherboard
Transcend 4gb Ram (ts512mlk72v1n)
LG GH24NS95 DVD Drive

I hope the stock cpu fan comes with this processor. I was satisfied with it's performance, especially with it's price. There are better processors, but I wanted to make a cheap amd pc, and this seemed pretty good. I haven't selected the psu and harddisk. The dealer has WD hard drives, and I will make sure the psu is a good one. For this configuration, will a 350W PSU do the work, or do I need a 400W-450W PSU?
RAM - OK: DDR2 RAM is nearly as good as DDR3 only a slight difference. The biggest difference is the actual size in GB and speed in MHz.

CPU is fast at 3GHz but data throughput is on the lower end of the scale with that chip but still satisfactory for most Home usage (a bit slow in video processing is all) and should handle all process calls.

You left out your Graphics subsystem including monitor, which generally draw the most power.

Either way you need 50-100W headroom ie if you need 300W get 350W-400W PSU
Old 11-24-2013, 08:58 AM

I am in dire straits. I have got the pc with a few different components. Please help me out with a few things ASAP,
1. I have Windows XP. Will i get the graphics drivers for windows xp for this apu? I have a feeling that it isn't the case.
2. I have also installed 4gb ram, but windows shows 2.22gb. Is this shared with the apu, or the windows just cannot use it, and the rest is usless?
Old 11-24-2013, 05:50 PM

Please in this case use a full description not letters like APU

If by APU you mean a graphics chip on your Motherboard? Yes it will use up memory (you should be able to set the amount used) and XP 32bit will only address approx. 3.2GB of RAM anyway minus the graphics shared memory so all is as should be there.
Drivers are another issue but it should work as it is controlled by MoBo chip drivers or the CPU depending on the system you have.

So if you have a new MoBo install the drivers for it.