Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Computers > Web design and Programming

Web design and Programming Discuss website creation and other programming topics.

Old 11-02-2001, 11:43 PM
zza1pqx is offline zza1pqx

Send a message via ICQ to zza1pqx Send a message via Yahoo to zza1pqx
Post Where are we headed?

Where is the future of web-design headed?
Will HTML die out in favour of other methods ie PHP, Perl and Shockwave, Broadband content?

Will we still be able to make websites in 5 years time when the corporations have taken over?

You thoughts here please.

Old 11-03-2001, 12:18 AM
~DevilDog#1~ is offline ~DevilDog#1~

Send a message via ICQ to ~DevilDog#1~
Re: Where are we headed?

Quote:
Originally posted by zza1pqx
Where is the future of web-design headed?
Will HTML die out in favour of other methods ie PHP, Perl and Shockwave, Broadband content?

Will we still be able to make websites in 5 years time when the corporations have taken over?

You thoughts here please.
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/sun-info/...y/xmlapps.html

Confucius (B.C. 551-479)
Chinese Ethical Teacher - Founder of Confucianism
Old 11-03-2001, 04:38 AM

No. Not what someone else thinks, what you think. I appreciate that we need facts as well as experience to develop our minds to form opinions but off all the people I know DD you were the one I least expected to base an entire mindset on the untested opinion of a stranger.

Old 11-03-2001, 06:25 PM
Steve is offline Steve
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Steve
well i'm a newbie to this HTML stuff but i have spent 4 weeks learning (or trying)

HTML
XHTML
DHTML
XML
CSS
XSL
PHP
CGI
ASP

plus a few more that i have totally got lost in.

the good thing about hTML is that it made web programming available to anyone even the 'weeking silcon warrior'. things like PHP and ASP cannot be learned that easily and there fore i think HTML will never die just that sites made in HTML will not have all the fancy bits and multimedia features.

i though CSS was pretty new but i foound out it was created in 1996. thats even b4 i first used the internet. since then Xhtml has graced the web, followed by XML which seems to be the standard these days.

at first i thought XML was pointless but i've seen the light and have realised its potential <== keep ur eye on XML m8s, it's the way forward. well along with XSL it's a winner. XSL is correct isnt it? i got al these things in my head it's hard to remember lol. anyway these XSL are what CSS is to HTML but they are even better. i'm very impressed

lol where am i going with this thread? dunno m8 lol.

HTML will never die!
XML rules at the moment cause broadband aint widespread enough yet.
PHP and ASP are required for a great site or maybe is soon.

Old 11-04-2001, 05:59 PM

That is a good argument SB. I agree that XML is likely to become the standard if for no other reason than the Gurus love it and they push the W3C.
I think you may find though that HTML being a code for the people may not have a great deal to do with the future.
I agree with what you are saying but consider the Microsoft Vision of the all in one home server.
Essentially Bill thinks it would be a good idea to extend the settop-box idea and make all the facilities of the PC available to the consumer from there.
If we look at windows and how difficult it has become to customise it over the past 6 years and then look at who controls the way the majority of us see the web.
Or if we look at how games are made now compared to 10 years ago.

The pattern is that of home hobbies becoming corporate beasts.
Broadband and the mass consumer demand of stable exciting broadband content mean there is a good chance that to set up your own website will become an expensive business as the concept of having a unique personal computer becomes more and more obselete. Do not forget that whilst the majority of web-users today are tech heads, that when the whole world is on-line we will be in the minority and there is a good chance that web content is largley viewd on TV sets through Bills Boxes.
The interaction will die out as businesses go where the markets are and Personal Computing and therefore Home Page making becomes a niche and therefore expensive industry.

The Death Of The PC was heralded this year at one of the biggest home computer conventions in the US. Not just by Microsoft but by IBM Sunsoft (netscape) and a few other big cheeses in the industry.

Watch this space but I predict (and I hope I am wrong) that in the near future you WILL need a small team of experts and a big budget to produce anything on the web. Just like games are mad now.

Remember the days when you could program a whole game with graphics in just a few hours at home on your spectrums?
So liesin the fututre of the web.

Old 11-07-2001, 11:47 PM

Well, since I was involved in an XML project, I can say XML will revolutionize (revolutionise to you ZZ ) the information excange and display on the web.

Flash, as you know, is second biggest thing on the web. All major companies are taking a bite @ it. Its just load and boom it appears. That's what attracted it to me.

Microsoft's .NET (DOT NET) technology is the next biggest platform for web and other window based applications. MSN Explorer, MSN Messenger are just the tip of the iceberg. Once again C++ and XML are heavily used in them.

Palm Technologies is also another intereting platform. Again, .NET will make life easier.

Confucius (B.C. 551-479)
Old 11-26-2001, 05:06 PM
~VS~§µrê§hø† is offline ~VS~§µrê§hø†
~VS~§µrê§hø

Send a message via AIM to ~VS~§µrê§hø†
ZZ, that was deep man, I have no idea what you are talkin about, but it sounded like you really know what you are talking about, and you made some good predictions based upon factual information...I LIKE IT!!! teach me what you're talking about

~VS~§µrê§hø†
Old 11-27-2001, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ~VS~§µrê§hø†
ZZ, that was deep man, I have no idea what you are talkin about, but it sounded like you really know what you are talking about, and you made some good predictions based upon factual information...I LIKE IT!!! teach me what you're talking about
He's just BSing I hear he is good @ that

Confucius (B.C. 551-479)
Old 11-28-2001, 12:05 PM
Steve is offline Steve
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Steve
oh yeas indeed he is the best BSer around but he does know some stuff, honest

hes very good at writing etc as u can tell aslo did u now hes writing a book?
Old 12-02-2001, 03:09 PM

Let it not be said that I don't try to make these forums entertaining and informative but a BS'er?

Not me mates.