Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Computers > Hardware and Software

Hardware and Software Discuss hardware, software and security related stuff

Old 09-05-2004, 06:36 PM
RiGhTuShOoK is offline RiGhTuShOoK

Send a message via ICQ to RiGhTuShOoK Send a message via AIM to RiGhTuShOoK Send a message via Yahoo to RiGhTuShOoK
LiteStep

i was wondering how to use this, also is it hard to change the theme you use

Quote:
Setting LiteStep as shell on Windows 9x is quite straightforward, involving a simple edit of system.ini. On Windows NT platforms though, setting LiteStep as shell involves editing several registry keys.

seems kinda hard to me since iam not the smartest computer guy, if anyone would like to help me. last time i tired this i screwed my computer and contacted litestep. they told me i must have messed something up

please help

AIM: rightushook
msn: rightushook@msn.com
Old 09-05-2004, 07:00 PM
Steve is offline Steve
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Steve
to be honest you should ask on their forum > http://www.litestep.net/

but if your not confident to edit some registry then don't bother. there are loads of shell replacements out there that are better and are easier to use / install / change skins and dont require and editing of files.

the problem i have with shell replacements is that u can never download a theme that is right for you. so then you have to go editing more to try to get it right. way to much hassle especially if your not a compter person.

may fave is aston btw > http://www.astonshell.com/ but again getting things right is a pain.

after trying so many shells i just went back to windows and threw style xp on top.
Old 09-05-2004, 07:06 PM
JonM is offline JonM

what is lite step?
Old 09-05-2004, 07:09 PM
Steve is offline Steve
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Steve
http://lsdocs.shellfront.org/

What is LiteStep?
LiteStep was originally written a few years back by LoneRunnr, who didn't want to do things "the Microsoft way". After some time he stopped working on the project and opened the source up under the General Public License.

Once LiteStep was released, the project was picked up by some programmers, who have made it to the software you have downloaded today. The LiteStep Development Team has gone through many changes since its creation. The application concept, however, is still the same: the main idea is to allow users to control the look, feel and even functioning of their Windows GUI in any manner they want - not something you can easily say about the Microsoft Explorer shell.

This major leap in beauty and functionality does not come without a price however. LiteStep users must be comfortable with text based configuration and have to accept the fact that Windows will not operate like they were used to (which is not necessarily a bad thing).

How does it work?
LiteStep's superiority and usefulness is based on a simple, yet powerful concept: modularity. LiteStep by itself does nothing except loading the modules you tell it to load. These modules provide a special function or set of functions, which you can use in your configuration file. The functions range from the very basic, like the look and feel of your popup menu, to the more frivolous, like putting a TV tuner or WinAmp controls on your desktop.

In the menu at the top of the page you will find a list of all of the LiteStep Core Modules. These modules are written and maintained by the LiteStep Development Team. They provide the basic functionality you may look for in a shell - and some more. These modules are complemented by several hundred LiteStep modules written by contributors outside of the Development Team.
Old 09-05-2004, 07:09 PM
RiGhTuShOoK is offline RiGhTuShOoK

Send a message via ICQ to RiGhTuShOoK Send a message via AIM to RiGhTuShOoK Send a message via Yahoo to RiGhTuShOoK
i heard it was like the greatest shell replacement.. yes aston is wonderful, has served me well in the long run. i have had ever since i started designing. and well iam tired of it. unless they have made more themes then i wont use it. i only like like 4 themes out of the 100's of them there were lmao. but yes StyleXp is also fav of mine.. tiring to get peoples opinions and fav shell replacements or things